Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Just to add to the previous posts...

One thing I've found particularly pleasing is that I've still only wired about 15 pairs of droppers - all at the far end of the yard from the viaduct, out of the (approx) 70 - 80 pairs on the whole layout. But the locos run faultlessly around more than half the layout.

I wouldn't leave it to chance - and the vagaries of fishplate connections (after all, they ARE new at the moment) - but I'm glad I've become a fan of soldering (I hated it before all this trackwork) as there's QUITE a bit left to do!

Jeff

Jeff;

All jokes aside,  hearty congratulations on your first real locomotive movement on K/L!

Just as well i got in early with Comical Ali, as RMWeb went down comprehensively for me around 8pm, just when I expected to see "proof of life" in The Bunker.  Still couldn't get back on at 6am when I left for work, but now I'm at my desk and the meter is running, normaility is returning to the world.

Now... how long before the desire for a continuous running overtakes your resistance to completing the wiring needed to do so? I think we should be start a book on that...

Cheers

Scott

• RMweb Premium

Disappearance of RMweb - had to swap browsers after it sprang back into life.  Well, not quite 'sprang' more like 'take your time, why don't you?' in IE.  Working fine in Firefox.

Anyway, I digress.  I'm really posting to say how magnificent that bridge you made earlier looks in it's proposed setting.  It looks superb already.....................waiting..........................still waiting.....................

Guess I'll have to be patient while the grass grows on KL........Can't you speed the season up?  You, know.  Spring into summer....?

Can't-wait Lune

• Like 1

Jason - I may well wire up the mainline. If I do that I'd need to sort out another 10 or so Cobalts. To date I've sorted 15/39. And btw, by pure chance you'd think I'd get half of those correct for polarity. Oh no! I got 4/15 right!!!! Ok, it only means I had to swap a red and black wire round, but I'm glad I'm not a gambler!

Jeff

Again, you've achieved a lot for today.

In some ways I agree with Jason. Set yourself a target for the day and then run a loco round it if you achieve it.

However, I've gone for the principle that although I've wired everything up, I have refused myseld the temptation to make the control panel so that I won't be tempted just to play test it all.

As for the odds of getting the polarity right, I always bench test and mark my point motors prior to fitting. The only issue I've had with that is one failure after fitting.

Duncan

Hello all,

Apologies for the delay, I've had a few issues to contend with: iphone video not compatible with windows (sourced a video converter to change the format) and internet explorer 9 not working properly, (installed firefox instead)

here's the first steam movement under Lune Fell, hope it was worth the wait.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Al, thanks for going to the trouble of posting the video. I got a blank screen when I looked in IE, but the picture is ok on Chrome.

At least it means you can see something has moved!

Scott: The number of people that miss the "k" out of Kirkby is huge. I'd not have included the k, but it's the local spelling, so no way round it!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've been quiet because I'm having a very frustrating day. I'll give the details later - it's not to do with electrics, and it's driving me mad. If I get the job done - and it works - I'll explain what it is. At the moment I've left the bunker for a break - hence why I'm looking at RMweb!

If I don't get this sorted then I'll fall back on a bit of "plaster therapy". You can't beat slapping a bit of plaster onto "hills" to relax you....and I'm going to join the 3 main hill area of Lune Fell.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Oh, sorry to hear your having an 'issue'. Doing something else often makes the answer appear. I'm guessing it's something to do with your access hole arrangement?

I've spent an hour between trains speading granite chippings around the parking area outside the box, it looks better, and I won't get mu feet wet when it's raining now, but I'll get no thanks, and I'm guessing that our resident lazy ar*e barstool will moan about it. Need to finish the rest on Friday when I'm back on early turn.

The Co-bos with smoke units are a good idea, but can you get smoke oil that burns black, as that's what the colour of their exhaust was mainly?

Is the Kettle on?

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy,

Nope - not the access hole.... The curved backscene piece is going to be permanently fitted in the corner. I've another way planned for access to the viaduct...

I will order a class 28 - but it won't be with a smoke unit. I'm sure they are atmospheric, but they aren't my cup of tea.

Right, I've had my break. time to "grasp the nettle" and try and sort this pain-in-the-posterior out!

Jeff

Hi BOSS, Just got going again and you will see why in the Lounge.

Anyway it is really great to see that Spaceship rolling along through the fiddle yard, wonderfull stuff and I believe (because I have not read the last two pages yet) that the 9F actually went over the viaduct, that is also great news, it means that we will see FULL LENGHT EXPRESSES running by Easter, :nono: I didn't say which year. hahhhaaaeeee.

I am off to look at my own site now and I will catch up again later.

All the best and I hope you sort out your problem mate.

Old Lune :sungum:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening folks.

The problem I was having was with derailment of stock through a curved turnout. I tried a variety of things, including replacing the turnout, with no effect.

It turns out the gauge of the entrance throat of said turnouts was narrow - by about half a mm! So stock was riding up onto the stock rails. A soldering iron and a bit of stock rail widening has done the trick and all appears to be ok.....

Thanks to Al for spotting this and teaching me another useful trick!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ok, I can promise you a bit of a treat - maybe tomorrow, depending on when my video cameraman can sort out what he's just filmed!

Al has used a much better camera than the one on his iPhone to film the good old 9F. 

You'll have to wait and see the details, but - even though it's only a minute or so - it's well worth seeing.

Keep an eye out...

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Thats a pain. And from bought in points too, does it effect all of the curved ones Jeff? It might be worth checking all the points before you ballast.

Andy G

Track gauges show that only some of the turnouts are affected. The acid test was to run the 9F through all the curved points I've so far activated, in both directions.

Fortunately, only the one I've spent all day working on was affected (and the one it replaced). But there are another 4 curved turnouts elsewhere. I'm not worried now, having seen how easy it was to modify the turnouts. But a right pain in the ar*e today, as it's wasted so much time.

Getting something to eat, then a bit of plastering to do.

Jeff

We have movement folks and well worth waiting for! Now is it just me or has anyone else noticed how much the hill framing resembles what passes for Manchester Victoria station these days? Paint it dirty concrete with copious damp stains and it's there. Has Jeff got a secret project tucked away behind the scenes? Perhaps Comical Ali knows! Add a couple of platforms and.........No! Hang on, that would mean an endless stream of 156's, 185's and, Heaven forbid! Nodding Donkeys! Carry on as you were Lord Lunester!

Right! I'll go get my coat.....

Bill

Edited by Mythocentric
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Bill, I knew my hill framing was avant garde, but I never knew that Manchester Victoria were copying me!

Nevermind, it's what goes on the proper side of the hills that counts - good old Lune Fell (I had to be careful there. If I'd written it as good Old Lune Fell, Mr Andy P would think I'd honoured him!!). The Fell (no reference to the junk-heap diesel loco) will become a more integrated entity later tonight when I mod roc and plaster the 3 longest sections together. For the moment I'll leave the tunnel portal section, as there are jobs to do there.

Btw, nothing secret under Lune Fell - though Comical Ali, escapee from the Saddam regime, is rumoured to live there. Well, according to noted conspiracist Scott, from Perth, WA.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

What this does show is that you really should get everything up and running now before carrying on with the scenery, as resolving such issues will be a lot easier now. Forget the plastering for a while, seriously.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

What this does show is that you really should get everything up and running now before carrying on with the scenery, as resolving such issues will be a lot easier now. Forget the plastering for a while, seriously.

The plastering is only on the main part of Lune Fell where everything to the rear has been resolved. And it's a little "light relief" after today's frustrations. Don't worry, I shall continue with the wiring. I reckon it's going to take me another 2 weeks.

I actually thought you were going to comment on the sense of building my own track, to have more control of the situation. And there's a lot to commend your point of view!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I'm not the sort to say 'I told you so' :D

At least the gauges came in handy.

No, I can't EVER recall you offering advice that I could refuse!!  :blum:  :D

Jason - you should ALWAYS keep me on the straight and narrow. The only reason I've got so much done is through the input of the crackpot Lunesters!!!!  :O  And their unrelenting expectations.

Anyway, I learned something new today which will stand me in good stead - especially over the next few weeks of..... wiring!!  :D

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

It's quite a few posts back now, but can't disappear from here without a "YES!" for that  9F vid.  :locomotive:  Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, :sungum: 

More....   :clapping: Encore.....  :clapping:

Rowdy Lune