Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Great video there but you had better slow that second one down before it crashes into the first one  :no:

Billy, you mean you weren't aware of the Great Kirkby Luneside crash of 2013!!?

What I particularly like is the sound that the loco and coaches make as they trundle along. I can just imagine sitting with my eyes closed in the bunker as an express and a few coaches go through the station at a scale 80mph.....

Jeff

Hi Jeff

Great little video there.

I thought it was great that the first pass was nice and steady over the new track and and viaduct and then went hell for leather :mosking:

Whatever that step in the track is it's not as big as the one that appeared on my track :angry:

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff

Great little video there.

I thought it was great that the first pass was nice and steady over the new track and and viaduct and then went hell for leather :mosking:

Whatever that step in the track is it's not as big as the one that appeared on my track :angry:

Jim

Evening Jim.

The problem was that I didn't see ANY of what happened. I was in the yard, behind Lune Fell, and - being a short chap - can't see over it. Al is 6'4", so I had to follow his hand signals.

Fine for the first crawl, but a bit hair-raising later as the 9F had to stop by the end of the cut or it would have derailed at the first turnout it met.

The "step" is caused by the rise from the board onto the viaduct - it's probably 0.5mm. I can't easily lift the track but a little bit of localised plastikard should do the trick.

Btw, I've started the CDs, but it may be Tuesday before I get chance to send them.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

After all that expectation ......... A 9F crawls out of the tunnel just edging forward with its heavy load of Anhydrite hoppers ----------- yike's its a stopper!!!!!!! How will I console myself Boo-Hoo... Only joking of course but best not dwell on this as you may well get your own back in due course, so one will just shut-up and go and hide again for a few days.

Seriously though, thats what its all about, great to see things running.

Cheers

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

After all that expectation ......... A 9F crawls out of the tunnel just edging forward with its heavy load of Anhydrite hoppers ----------- yike's its a stopper!!!!!!! How will I console myself Boo-Hoo... Only joking of course but best not dwell on this as you may well get your own back in due course, so one will just shut-up and go and hide again for a few days.

Seriously though, thats what its all about, great to see things running.

Cheers

Mike

I'm sure I can relate to what you've just said, Mike. I would MUCH rather have my 9Fs hauling freight than pulling coaches. Iron ore/anhydrite - whatever - far more impressive than a few coaches!

Now that's bound to stir a bit of controversy. But it's just a personal preference!!

Jeff

I'm sure I can relate to what you've just said, Mike. I would MUCH rather have my 9Fs hauling freight than pulling coaches. Iron ore/anhydrite - whatever - far more impressive than a few coaches!

Now that's bound to stir a bit of controversy. But it's just a personal preference!!

Jeff

Jeff

I'm with you on that, I like to see a good mix of goods wagons but the period I model means they will be a bit different to yours, I just like to see the different shapes, styles and liveries as it makes for a much more interesting train.

But then again... I can have clerestories, 4 and 6 wheelers with arc roofs together,  Hmmm, might have to rethink now  :scratchhead:

No hurry on the cds, I appreciate you doing them and you know I'm a patient sort of guy.

Jim 

• RMweb Premium

Love the 9F on the vid, Jeff.  Very impressive, even with people carriers.  Of course, on shed, I'll have to be content with just preparing it for duty - no heavy mineral wagons or coaches.  Only the tankies will get that privillege on the branch.

Nice work, you two.

Lune Lady

• RMweb Premium

Totally with you on that Jeff, freight rather than passenger any day. One for the Lounge maybe, but your comment does raise the rather prickly question of some of the rather specific freight consists seen on the S&C that aren't catered for by the RTR market (and are unlikely to ever be) and as far as I know, aren't by the kit manufacturers either.

On that front though, have you turned your hand to any kits from the likes of Parkside, etc? I really enjoy making them and have more Parkside 16 tonners than Bachmann for that very reason.

• RMweb Premium

Totally with you on that Jeff, freight rather than passenger any day. One for the Lounge maybe, but your comment does raise the rather prickly question of some of the rather specific freight consists seen on the S&C that aren't catered for by the RTR market (and are unlikely to ever be) and as far as I know, aren't by the kit manufacturers either.

On that front though, have you turned your hand to any kits from the likes of Parkside, etc? I really enjoy making them and have more Parkside 16 tonners than Bachmann for that very reason.

I know Mike (mike61680) has been trying to get the majors to make some Anhydrite wagons. I think in the longer term I will be forced into getting some kits and having a bash.

Too much on the go at the moment, but - like the turnout making, I'll look forward to having a go.

Btw, the 9F had coaches for one simple reason: there were already 2 in the bunker. If I'd had a load of 16t Iron tipplers it'd be freight!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

The mention of numbered collets reminds me of a prank some years ago. A 4200pair cable was being terminated in Caversham Telephone exchange. The jointer was halfway through colleting it and had taped the end to a chair whilst doing so. Someone found an end cut off in the skip. dropped the colleted end under the chair and tied the off cut in place with a cloth over the ends under the chair. Then made a real pigs ear of the offcut end and dropped some collets (from new packets) around. The expression on the guy's face was priceless until he realised he had been had. We all learnt a few new swear words that day.

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The mention of numbered collets reminds me of a prank some years ago. A 4200pair cable was being terminated in Caversham Telephone exchange. The jointer was halfway through colleting it and had taped the end to a chair whilst doing so. Someone found an end cut off in the skip. dropped the colleted end under the chair and tied the off cut in place with a cloth over the ends under the chair. Then made a real pigs ear of the offcut end and dropped some collets (from new packets) around. The expression on the guy's face was priceless until he realised he had been had. We all learnt a few new swear words that day.

Don

This reminds me of a jointer working on a fibre cable in London some years ago. It was raining so he had brought the two cables into his van to splice..... One through the side door, the other through the rear doors. It would have been rude to point out these two facts before he had finished the splices! His face was a picture!

Andy g

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Is there ANY topic that you lot can't tell amusing stories about?

Sorry, I've nothing interesting to say about collets!

Just sat waiting for the skip to arrive, then dismantling/disposal of the old layout can begin.

Jeff

Morning Jeff, I am in agreement with ALL about freight, I get bored watching a passenger train in Model or real life but give me a freight, be it a short rake or a long rake that is just great.

Back a few years ago George and I were at Newport, Wales for a day of train spotting, we saw loads but one that sticks in my mind is an 08 in a grubby Grey pulling a short rake of Engineers wagons through the middle roads from the English end and down the slope into the tunnel towards Cardiff, really great stuff.

If you and the great Al do anymore vids how about a low level shot from the valley floor looking up at that magnificent Viaduct, that would be cool man :O

Bodgit :sungum:

Is there ANY topic that you lot can't tell amusing stories about?

Sorry, I've nothing interesting to say about collets!

Just sat waiting for the skip to arrive, then dismantling/disposal of the old layout can begin.

Jeff

I don't know about amusing stories, but I can probably dredge up boring ones about most topics ;)

Good luck with the skipping Jeff, hope you manage it without breaking things you want to keep...

Edited to add:

I can't remember if you've mentioned doing it, but the old pictures you've used to show progress through the wiring show missing bits of track (headshunts, sidings, etc), have you layed those bits yet?  Or are you saving them till later?

Edited by MichaelW

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jeff, I am in agreement with ALL about freight, I get bored watching a passenger train in Model or real life but give me a freight, be it a short rake or a long rake that is just great.

Back a few years ago George and I were at Newport, Wales for a day of train spotting, we saw loads but one that sticks in my mind is an 08 in a grubby Grey pulling a short rake of Engineers wagons through the middle roads from the English end and down the slope into the tunnel towards Cardiff, really great stuff.

If you and the great Al do anymore vids how about a low level shot from the valley floor looking up at that magnificent Viaduct, that would be cool man :O

Bodgit :sungum:

This is weird! I've already replied to your post and yet it's disappeared - as if the last 2 hours' worth of posts have vanished and never took place!!

Will certainly get some shots from that angle when Al is round again....

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I don't know about amusing stories, but I can probably dredge up boring ones about most topics ;)

Good luck with the skipping Jeff, hope you manage it without breaking things you want to keep...

Edited to add:

I can't remember if you've mentioned doing it, but the old pictures you've used to show progress through the wiring show missing bits of track (headshunts, sidings, etc), have you layed those bits yet?  Or are you saving them till later?

Same as with andy's post. I replied to this post about an hour ago. where's the reply gone?

So a quick re-do. Skipping going well. Had enough for now - going to do some wiring.

You are correct - there are some headshunts and sidings still to do. Sidings will be left until later until I figure out what to do with that corner.

Keep me on task Michael!!

Now what the hell is going on with these posts?

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

The forum crashed earlier so maybe they had to go to a backup?

Ahh! Didn't realise that had happened because I've been fiddling around doing other things.

Cheers Jason - that makes sense. I thought I was imagining ever having done those posts!!

Jeff

And a general request - if anybody has already come up with their own stone-walling method - would you care to share it on here?

Jeff

I have been using Hornby’s Skaledale ready-made dry stone wall products recently:

post-8580-0-50554600-1361806719_thumb.jpg

More details, please check my RMWeb blog:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/1277/entry-11191-dry-stone-wall/

It is – 5 degree of Celsius (equals about 23 F or 268 K if you prefer Kelvins, Physicsman!) in my back yard. Nice winter weather here in Finland at the moment.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Jaakko.

And the stone-walling you've used looks very good.

The problem I have is the sheer scale of walling I'll have to use. Probably in the order of 20-30 metres of the stuff!! On cost grounds alone this really makes it impossible to buy the ready-made stuff AND I need to be able to adapt the walling to lots of different inclines. That's why I'll likely end up making my own stuff from DAS modelling clay.

I haven't tried it yet, but the day will come!

Best wishes,

Jeff

PS. Temperature in the bunker = 12C = 285K  :sungum:  :jester:  :jester:

Same as with andy's post. I replied to this post about an hour ago. where's the reply gone?

So a quick re-do. Skipping going well. Had enough for now - going to do some wiring.

You are correct - there are some headshunts and sidings still to do. Sidings will be left until later until I figure out what to do with that corner.

Keep me on task Michael!!

Luckily I had read your ealier post before it disappeared.  Thank you for those comments, they cheered an otherwise dreary morning :)

Doing a bit of skipping at a time sounds a good plan! 

Oh, I will, just need someone to do that for me ;)