Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Actually, now I look there are aqueducts leaping out all over... such as these...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-KR6QrBHXT-A/Toi8C3FJxqI/AAAAAAAAGbQ/Uqcp9HgRybs/s1600/Hazelhurst+Junct+Rly+Aqueduct1.jpg

http://pictures.yourlocalweb.co.uk/01/58/62/grand-union-canal-aqueduct-over-railway-near-warwick-1718384.jpg

These look very nice, but I think it would be easier to justify a road overbridge, alone, across the track, just in front of the tunnels....

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

The discussion about an alternative exit-to-fiddle yard has been interesting and the several ways suggested would work very well.

Here's how I did it with two road bridges

The tracks in view are my son's  '00' but in the background are my EM.  The first pic shows the first bridge along the line.  You can just see the second bridge in the bottom right corner, linked by a cutting.  The bit of  dry stone walling was  built with individual stones by my wife.  Nearly drove her mad, as there is quite a lot of it elsewhere on  the layout.

Derek

post-6110-0-17944200-1364660593_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-31832900-1364660631_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Are you aware of any prototype aquaducts in this situation?

Jeff

Jeff,

Been lurking a whole and only tend to comment when I can contribute - trying to do my bit to keep the thread length down! :blum:

About 300-400 yards to the south of the entrance to Blea Moor tunnel there is an aquaduct that carries Force Gill over the line.  The only published picture I am aware of is on p37 of "The Settle and Carolisle Railway by OS Nock, from 1992.

Good luck

Steve

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

Been lurking a whole and only tend to comment when I can contribute - trying to do my bit to keep the thread length down! :blum:

About 300-400 yards to the south of the entrance to Blea Moor tunnel there is an aquaduct that carries Force Gill over the line.  The only published picture I am aware of is on p37 of "The Settle and Carolisle Railway by OS Nock, from 1992.

Good luck

Steve

Thanks Steve. Ask a question on here and someone is certain to come up with something!!

Cheers,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, Peter drew what was in my mind pretty much, although I had thought about the cutting continuing to the front of the bridge lightly, separating the main and the branch. Drawn out, it is a winner in my view :)

• RMweb Premium

Derek, thanks for those photos from your lovely layout.

I'm piecing things together. My current idea would be like this...

post-13778-0-35165100-1364661919_thumb.jpg

Waiting to see what Jason had in mind...

Jeff

Jeff

I've just googled Force Gill Aqueduct and came up with this http://www.foscl.org.uk/content/scrca-image-2492002012-03-24mrhbosac-71context-s

Certainly worth considering I think

Duncan

That's a lovely and unusual structure: aqueduct, public right of way and occupation crossing in one.  In the pick'n'mix of SAC structures, that's a real good'un.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, the Force gill aqueduct is an impressive thing I could build.

I don't have enough space for both the road overbridge and the aqueduct. So.....

Given the VERY S&C quality of the aqueduct, and its more natural nature in the scheme of things, what I propose is as in my sketched diagram above BUT with the aqueduct replacing the overbridge.

In effect, same structure for the bridge build, but water running across instead of a road.

I will also extend the hillside a small distance beyond the aqueduct to give a bit more main - branch separation.... like this...

post-13778-0-95218100-1364667769_thumb.jpg

Sorry - it's a bit of a mess.

Jeff

Re aquaducts, I was thinking more along the lines of  the "circular pipe on a couple of supports" type. There was (is) one just north of Dent.

That made me chuckle, Peter!  I thought you may have meant that - but we always referred to them as 'PC' for pipe crossing, on the structure register.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Right you horrible lot!! You've probably got me scratchbuilding for the 4 weeks or so after Easter....

Here's a mock-up. In order to make the arrangement more dynamic, the aqueduct curves....

post-13778-0-43469300-1364670384_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-30946300-1364670393_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-68149100-1364670402_thumb.jpg

"T" on the former walls, is the location of the tunnel mouths.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

Thanks for that, I can now visualise it better.

It should look impressive and certainly be another part that really ties the layout to the area.

Duncan

I hope it works out. The level of detail in that aqueduct link you provided is exquisite. Mini-waterfalls and lots of stone. A beautiful structure!

It certainly makes this section of the layout a damn sight more interesting than was originally planned. Many thanks to Jason, Peter, Derek, Steve and Duncan for the ideas and resources. The idea is still malleable, so please comment.

If I go ahead with this, I'll get the hillside finished and then build the 2 tunnel mouths and 2 bridges. Looks like more Slaters stone and plastikard folks!! 

Jeff

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your idea. I'm keen to do something like this as I quite fancy scratchbuilding another bridge - and it'd be quite a feature. I'm not sure how it would integrate into the tunnel scheme. I don't want to clutter things un-necessarily.

I'm not doing any work in the bunker until I see what Jason - and anyone else - comes up with. Remember, the hill is a given and the trains need to enter and exit through it....

Cheers Peter - much appreciated.

Jeff

Jeff don't worry about tunnel mouths at that end, :O

do the over bridge, :locomotive:

do the cuttings :locomotive:

and then cover the embankments with trees shrubbery and foliage and so therefore hiding the fiddle yard entrance. :locomotive: :locomotive: AKA Glen Roy and both ends of  Loch Leven

Bodgit :sungum:

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Gold

Jeff, I hope these are of interest to you - from my trip to Yorkshire in 2009.

These are of the aqueduct near the Blea Moor Tunnel.

post-6776-0-10042600-1364671897_thumb.jpg

post-6776-0-91635600-1364671619_thumb.jpg

post-6776-0-08053900-1364671631_thumb.jpg

I didn't take too many photos but as I said, hopefully these are interesting if not helpful too!

Edited by SouthernRegionSteam
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Jeff don't worry about tunnel mouths at that end, :O

do the over bridge, :locomotive:

do the cuttings :locomotive:

and then cover the embankments with trees shrubbery and foliage and so therefore hiding the fiddle yard entrance. :locomotive: :locomotive: AKA Glen Roy and both ends of  Loch Leven

Bodgit :sungum:

Andy - I thought you were joking to begin with. But that's actually a very sensible idea, as the cutting recedes into the fiddle yard.

That would save a lot of work. I'll start on the bridges - probably be in about 2 weeks time - and build it up and see how it looks.

Btw - Baron Benbodgit of Glenvulture's lodge is looking good on Glenfinnick. Why the police van - have they found Jimmy Savile up there?  :O  :O

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I like that a lot Jeff, and agree totally with Andy about losing the tunnel mouths; fine at the viaduct end but cliched to have them at both ends possibly? In my humble opinion, the bridge and cuttings makes it much more believable as the same point that we discussed with the viaduct end rears it's ugly head again; why would the railway company/companies build a junction in an area that required two separate bores to be dug out.

I did worry that you were losing the headshunt but if I remember correctly, the real one was very short and acted more as a catch point type arrangement than to allow shunting operations anyway. I guess that in reality, KS would have only seen the odd pick up goods anyway and as it wasn't exactly the busiest of lines anyway so blocking the down line once or twice a day for a short time wasn't an issue.

Like the new idea Jeff,  though you might need to re-profile (again!) the supports to give a much more gentle slope down towards the station, and blend that slope into the mass of Lune Fell that you've already built.  I suspect the aqueduct wouldn't be that curved, more threpunny bit shaped...

Hi Jeff and all,

Missed all the action again due to fitting plasterboards and framing all blooming day!!! I think you are on to a winner looking at the suggestions taking shape.

My stone walling is just casts of pre-purchased sections which will be used for general lengths, I will be making some specials to follow curves and slopes and such once I get my den' back to normal. Its going to be a damn sight cheaper than buying hundreds for sure.

Some cracking photo's over the past 24 hours guys!

Andy - I thought you were joking to begin with. But that's actually a very sensible idea, as the cutting recedes into the fiddle yard.

That would save a lot of work. I'll start on the bridges - probably be in about 2 weeks time - and build it up and see how it looks.

Btw - Baron Benbodgit of Glenvulture's lodge is looking good on Glenfinnick. Why the police van - have they found Jimmy Savile up there?  :O  :O

Jeff

Hi Jeff it is Bodgit Booz, :O  :no:  West Highland Whiskey Works :sungum: