Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Here I was thinking you'd got the plasterers in and had mopped up the last of your PoP by floating a nice render on the underside!

S.

Scott - funnily enough, I considered doing that on the viaduct but decided against it because of weight issues. It could certainly be done - and would be - if I couldn't get a decent fit with a sheet of plastikard.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I imagine that the are skewed for strength, so the bricks are under compression?

Got a few things to post today Jeff, your bricks being one of them

Thanks Jason. I've a strange feeling I have a sheet of Slaters 4mm English bond somewhere. Though where exactly, I'm not sure. Things got a bit confused when I cleared-out the old train room. 

Will be good to receive it and contemplate fixing it underneath. 

Jeff

Hi Jeff, isn't it great to have so many people with so much knowledge that you get advice every step of the way, what other club would give such advice freely and willingly with photographic evidence to help as well.

What a great bunch of Lunesters we have around us.

Bodgit.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, isn't it great to have so many people with so much knowledge that you get advice every step of the way, what other club would give such advice freely and willingly with photographic evidence to help as well.

What a great bunch of Lunesters we have around us.

Bodgit.

I couldn't agree more, Andy. Without the suggestions, advice and encouragement I'd be a fraction of the way through KL compared to where I am now.

I might even have given up, once I'd realised the enormity of what I'd taken on!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I couldn't agree more, Andy. Without the suggestions, advice and encouragement I'd be a fraction of the way through KL compared to where I am now.

I might even have given up, once I'd realised the enormity of what I'd taken on!

Jeff

Yes.  It's great for keeping the momentum/inspiration/confidence going and how much more fun, exciting and interesting it is with lots of friends, to boot.

All steam ahead, then (and diesels, of course. AHAHA)  :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

Saw this bridge and viaduct at the weekend (Llangollen Steam Gala) and thought of you.  Architecture a little different.

post-14049-0-66247100-1366718207.jpg

post-14049-0-48862200-1366718294.jpg

Polly

Out and about Lunester  :derisive:

Edited by southern42
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

"I saw this and thought of you" ..... thanks Polly! Surprisingly, I haven't started dreaming of bridges and aqueducts - though I did have a few viaduct dreams last year!

Nice photos and a very definite change in style. It's wonderful that there is such a range of architecture in what is a relatively small country.

I was hoping to have a "change of scenery" for a couple of days, and get some rocks cast. That will have to wait until late evening now. But I'll do something!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Postman Pat has the bricks in the post Jeff, along with a little added bonus ;)

Thanks very much..... maybe more sheep? I shall wait and see!

Still haven't found the brick sheet I thought I had.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Re: Weathering. I got a good tip a few weeks ago, "don't try it with acrylics until you are confident as they are near impossible to remove, keep to the enamels." Anyone got any suggestions or experience with these?

A good point! The advantage with enamals is that they can be modified, i.e. toned down, with white spirit/thinners even after they are apparantly long dry. Using a cotton bud dipped in thinners (ranging from damp to wet) to work the surface can produce a subtle variation in tones. You can add to this by using a dry brush to help blend in surrounding areas or, by picking up a slightly different shade of paint on the tip add slight colour variations to specific areas.

Bill

Edited by Mythocentric

• RMweb Gold

I'm a bit late to the thread, but thought you might like these two photos of the bridge I will eventually be modelling for Bakewell. They show some wonderful colours and the skew bricks:

post-17302-0-36402200-1366740682_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-34448300-1366740685_thumb.jpg

As you can imagine, I'm following your bridge build with great interest...

All the best, Al.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi Al.

Thanks for the photos. Lots of different styles, but all useful for providing ideas of how the structures weathered over the years. The great thing is that almost anything goes, as long as it's sensibly done!

I've developed my own methods for building viaducts, bridges etc - it's all come about since last summer. As you'll have gathered, I like playing with wood and the combination of wood and plastikard seems to work for me. I'm sure there are many other ways to achieve the same end result - and certainly, for my hillsides, I'm exhorbitant with the wood! However, it works for me and I enjoy it. I welcome any comments you wish to put in - the Lunester community is very good at that!

Cheers,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

9pm - still no modelling done today! Too many other things to divert my attention - and I'm getting irritated by my lack of "doing something".

Coffee with brother is imminent, then I'm going to mix some plaster and cast some rock faces.

Shocking statistic for the day: I haven't been in the bunker today..... oh dear!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

And still NO GRASS :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

BODGIT FLOCKGRASS :sungum:

No grass, Andy, but more plaster! I've just cast 4 moulds-worth of rock faces. Some will need to be broken-up before use, but at least I've started. Will cast some more later this evening when I empty the first batch of moulds. I'll play around with my standard greys, white and black to add a bit of coloration.

Very quiet on here today.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I'm fighting my way through RailUK, trying to find loco allocations for my stock that would have actually been seen in the Bury / Bacup area. I stripped the lining off my Jinty and found one in Bacup shed, only to find that it was a keyhole tank loco whereas mine came from a starter set (hence the lining !!!!!!). It's a veritable nightmare but I'm now swapping Jinty bodies with Tim, who wants a non-keyhole one.

As mentioned in my thread, I really wish I didn't care but I do :(

• RMweb Premium

I'm fighting my way through RailUK, trying to find loco allocations for my stock that would have actually been seen in the Bury / Bacup area. I stripped the lining off my Jinty and found one in Bacup shed, only to find that it was a keyhole tank loco whereas mine came from a starter set (hence the lining !!!!!!). It's a veritable nightmare but I'm now swapping Jinty bodies with Tim, who wants a non-keyhole one.

Good database that - it's going to cost me a 64xx.  :sungum:

http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/details.php?id=97&vis=2

Now that's the size loco I wouldn't mind having a drive? ride on.  :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Good database that - it's going to cost me a 64xx.  :sungum:

http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/details.php?id=97&vis=2

Now that's the size loco I wouldn't mind having a drive? ride on.  :jester:

All those GWR locos are alien to me, though I can see the attraction.

ALWAYS a good idea to buy locos from your chosen company, Polly. The more the better! So when does the 64xx get ordered? 

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jason - your package arrived today. Many thanks.

I cut the required area of liner out - a rectangle skewed across the sheet.

This was then fixed onto the formers with evostik. The skewing of the brickwork is evident in the photos:

post-13778-0-95463100-1366820821_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-79226800-1366820828_thumb.jpg

The fit is pretty good, though a bit of filling-in around one of the arch rings will be necessary.

Jeff

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

All those GWR locos are alien to me, though I can see the attraction.

ALWAYS a good idea to buy locos from your chosen company, Polly. The more the better! So when does the 64xx get ordered? 

Jeff

Not sure on this one. "More details" says the Cab is "TBC".... :O

So, a Southall one or otherwise....???? 

Not that I know the difference (as yet).  I'll have to put that one out to tender...  :D   :laugh:

They don't make life easy, do they?   

Glad to see you're getting down to that Bunker of yours, Jeff.  Thought we'd all be getting withdrawal symptons... :jester:  or high on coffee waiting for something to happen.

Polly

Edited by southern42

• RMweb Premium

This was then fixed onto the formers with evostik. The skewing of the brickwork is evident in the photos:

attachicon.gif100_3108.JPG

attachicon.gif100_3114.JPG

The fit is pretty good, though a bit of filling-in around one of the arch rings will be necessary.

Jeff

Now  that looks really something already.

Can't wait to see it in all its (coloured) glory.

Polly

• RMweb Premium

I've just removed the first batch of rock faces from their moulds. I'll make a repeat batch later. When they've hardened a bit more I'll break these into sections for use on the cutting walls.

It's best to paint the plaster while it's still moist - so I'll do a few pieces tomorrow...

post-13778-0-84208300-1366822809_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-33632600-1366822815_thumb.jpg

Jeff

As a relief from pictures of rocks, for which to be honest is rather more of a paleontological pursuit than anything else, here is a pic of Sheffield grime and dirt, which is far more educational...

post-7929-0-83089300-1366839568.jpg

Viewers will note that this was a North British B1 not one of them Darlington jobs.  Deliverance is at hand...  today I photograph a Maunsell 'Schools' and civilisation returns.

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 4

Jason it is really great that you care so much, I wish I did, but I just like all the trains I have be it EX GCR, Midland, Eastern  or Standards, when I lived down south and visited the Watercress line a lot with George T it was all Bullieds in my collection.

Bodgit and see

attachicon.gif100_3108.JPG

attachicon.gif100_3114.JPG

Jeff

Hi Jeff, some cracking photos of the brickwork and it really works, the only thing different between the bridge you have built and one that I might build is the lack of HOT GLUE GUN STRING, HAhahhaaaaa

Bodgit