Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

I'm always happy to help/chuck a spanner in the works ;)

Umm....I don't think that's what you do - though you may be happy to do it!!

I'd prefer to see it as keeping me on the right track - terrible pun! And look what you've done now.... the bridges will now be incorporated - more realistically - into the cuttings. 

Excellent!!

Jeff

The interior of the aqueduct has been given a DAS base, with a bit of curvature to represent a drainage channel. The shape doesn't really matter as the prototype - shown in the 3rd photo - is pretty crapped up!!

attachicon.gif100_3310.JPG

attachicon.gif100_3311.JPG

attachicon.gifbug48.jpg

The clay will be allowed to set and a rough brick-stone pattern will be scribed onto it.

Jeff

I love the effect being achieved there Jeff.   However, it is my duty to remind you that the real world has engineering beyond Roman stones...    one Arthur Peppercorn comes to mind, here is one of his engines, with multi-valve regulator and double chimney, which made it nearly as good as a 1935 Gresley A3.

post-7929-0-23434900-1368849478.jpg

Rob

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 3

Hi Jeff as I know sod all about walls in them there parts, I will keep out of the debate, BUT the pic you have shown with the Aqui thingy set into the grass does look better and I think you are right to change it.

Well done to Jason for spotting your deliberate mistake, and getting top marks for observation.

Hi Rob thanks for another great photo.

Bodgit

Edited by Andrew P

In fact, Jason, you've done me a favour by making me look afresh at that photo. I'll build my structure in the same way - I'll just have to lift the adjoining hillside by a scale 6' (and since the hillside to either side of the bridges hasn't been built yet, it's easy!!).

Jeff

The interior of the aqueduct has been given a DAS base, with a bit of curvature to represent a drainage channel. The shape doesn't really matter as the prototype - shown in the 3rd photo - is pretty crapped up!!

*snip*

attachicon.gifbug48.jpg

The clay will be allowed to set and a rough brick-stone pattern will be scribed onto it.

Jeff

More "spanners" for your tool box, Jeff:  When you look at that third photo, it appears the aquaduct is quite deep where it runs over the bridge, and the lower half of the walls do look like they are built from larger stone, much like those used on the bridge.

If you are raising the elevation of the ground level, you could incorporate this - but would need to modify (deepen) the inside of the channel to allow this detail to be constructed.

But I'm sure you can leave as is if you want, too.

Cheers

Scott

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff as I know sod all about walls in them there parts, I will keep out of the debate, BUT the pic you have shown with the Aqui thingy set into the grass does look better and I think you are right to change it.

Well done to Jason for spotting your deliberate mistake, and getting top marks for observation.

Hi Rob thanks for another great photo.

Bodgit

Interesting comment Andy - as there is no mistake! The stonework in the aqueduct and bridge walls is totally different, as built.

However, although Jason was wrong, he made me look again at the arrangement of the bridge - so setting it into the bank - as on the photo - is a better way to do it. He can be a "stirrer", but he's a little gem!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

More "spanners" for your tool box, Jeff:  When you look at that third photo, it appears the aquaduct is quite deep where it runs over the bridge, and the lower half of the walls do look like they are built from larger stone, much like those used on the bridge.

If you are raising the elevation of the ground level, you could incorporate this - but would need to modify (deepen) the inside of the channel to allow this detail to be constructed.

But I'm sure you can leave as is if you want, too.

Cheers

Scott

Hi Scott.

Since I'm going to raise the level of the earth on top of the bridge, I'm going to fit a stonework foundation under the walling - as in the photo.

Fortunately, I was able to remove the stonework from the plastikard base with minimal damage. I'll build up the "foundation" later today and post some more photos later.

Jeff

Interesting comment Andy - as there is no mistake! The stonework in the aqueduct and bridge walls is totally different, as built.

However, although Jason was wrong, he made me look again at the arrangement of the bridge - so setting it into the bank - as on the photo - is a better way to do it. He can be a "stirrer", but he's a little gem!!

Jeff

My new glasses are on order,

You are right and I need reading lessons as well.

MY EXCUSE = I was tired,      SORRY

I will get back to my PVAying and shut up, hahhahahhee NO CHANCE as my wife says I never shut up. :O

Bodgit

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

My new glasses are on order,

You are right and I need reading lessons as well.

MY EXCUSE = I was tired,      SORRY

I will get back to my PVAying and shut up, hahhahahhee NO CHANCE as my wife says I never shut up. :O

Bodgit

Andy - we DON'T want you to shut up.....not that you could, even if you tried!!  :O  :O

And btw, you ARE allowed to read things the wrong way. I make mistakes all the time - and it's usually the Lunesters who sort me out.

I've chucked all of last night's work in the bin - just back to stone walls. Now I'm raising the level, I can do it "properly".

Keep taking the PVA....

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Lovely picture of the Peppercorn A2, Rob. sorry, missed it earlier...

The Peppercorns rank just behind Brits/9Fs as my favourite steamer. Unfortunately LNER, otherwise I'd have a fleet of them (I have A1 Great Eastern and A2 Blue Peter).

A suggestion, if it's possible. You've done locos on shed, in the wilds and double-heading. How about a view from one express steaming one way across to a heavy freight, steaming the other?

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Following the design alteration from studying the photo in post #6451 (inadvertently a consequence of Jason's comments), progress has been made:

Stone, as used in the bridge fascias has been added as a base:

post-13778-0-11102600-1368889978_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-91174500-1368889985_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-92089500-1368889993_thumb.jpg

The stone walling was then attached to the top of the block using evostik:

post-13778-0-90874100-1368890001_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-07552400-1368890010_thumb.jpg

More shortly...

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Oh, forgot to say, Galatea is running past here on the next two days! I'm in the box for two of the trips! A proper loco, not one of those green things!

Andy G

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

People will never buy it you know Jeff, you'll have to pin a copy of that bridge above the layout to prove that such a thing exists!

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

It's looking more like the real thing - not a bad thing, as you say, as it actually looks quite nice!

Andy - more plaster work. When I've got the bridge set-up sorted I'm going to do the cutting rock faces, paint and fit them. At that point I can fix the bridges into position and build the embankments/rest of the cutting around them.

I'm impatient to see what it looks like too!!!

Jeff

ps. Galatea is a Jubilee - you'll get no complaints from me - even in maroon (very nice!!)

Hi Jeff, I can now see how the Aquie thingy will work, but I do think grass would look a lot better than Blue and Yellow lines, :no:

As you say you are getting impatient to see it finished, well have I got news for you :O

SO ARE WE :no: :no: :no: :senile: :senile: :senile:

Bodgit in a Curry :boast:  whops sorry that's meant to be HURRY :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, I can now see how the Aquie thingy will work, but I do think grass would look a lot better than Blue and Yellow lines, :no:

As you say you are getting impatient to see it finished, well have I got news for you :O

SO ARE WE :no: :no: :senile: :senile:

Bodgit in a Curry :boast:  whops sorry that's meant to be HURRY :sungum:

Hi Andy.

I've just fixed the stone walls to the top of the same kind of arrangement for the branch bridge.

When I've got the 2 bridges sorted - not painted - I'm going to get the cuttings fitted out. That will enable further progress to be made.

Should be ready by Christmas!!  :O

Vindaloo Bodgit curry fan!

Lovely picture of the Peppercorn A2, Rob. sorry, missed it earlier...

The Peppercorns rank just behind Brits/9Fs as my favourite steamer. Unfortunately LNER, otherwise I'd have a fleet of them (I have A1 Great Eastern and A2 Blue Peter).

A suggestion, if it's possible. You've done locos on shed, in the wilds and double-heading. How about a view from one express steaming one way across to a heavy freight, steaming the other?

Jeff

Noted.

Day off today.  I have tried pictures with two trains; one approaching and one on opposing line, it tends to look very 'busy', with no real focus, but I'm thinking about it, with all sorts of angles possible. One thing I tend to avoid is a high camera view, as this would require actual scenery and , gasp, choke,  stonework or similar. And we all know what happens to modellers who go down that ill-begotten path.

This looks slightly like west Midlands, or north east Midlands, maybe..

post-7929-0-09133800-1368917996.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1