Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Lovely shed, that.   :swoon: :swoon: :swoon:

And don't they keep their locos looking good.

I shall have to borrow their cleaners. (Ref. John Drayton, "On the Footplate" )

Bodgit Goes Continental?...well there's a nice little railway that goes up to Andermatt in Switzerland...

6950089607_21a14ece5a_z.jpg

Polly

Edit.  You'll have to get us back on topic, Jeff....we're wandering...valderi valdera....  :offtopic:

Edited by southern42
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Great collection of photos, Andy.

That's the kind of inspirational material we like to see on here! The Patriot looks good, but nice to see Duchess City of Leicester - I have it in 00 in British Railways black.

Looks like a good show!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Apologies for the lack of action on here.

Too much helping friend's kids with their Physics, Chemistry and Maths revision at the moment!

Normal service will be resumed shortly - I hope!!

ps. hope to make my first stone blocks for walling later in the week!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Apologies for the lack of action on here.

Too much helping friend's kids with their Physics, Chemistry and Maths revision at the moment!

Normal service will be resumed shortly - I hope!!

ps. hope to make my first stone blocks for walling later in the week!

Jeff

Jeff,

I have just seen a Preiser stone walling kit.  They supply the bricks and you make the walls.  I am sure that it would be totally uneconomic on your scale of building, but perhaps you could sub-contract to them and supply the parts once you get going. 

Teaching physics and inspiring kids into science is never wasted time even if it takes you away from KL.

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

I have just seen a Preiser stone walling kit.  They supply the bricks and you make the walls.  I am sure that it would be totally uneconomic on your scale of building, but perhaps you could sub-contract to them and supply the parts once you get going. 

Teaching physics and inspiring kids into science is never wasted time even if it takes you away from KL.

I think you are correct in that respect, Chris! Once the walling "production line" starts you will probably not hear from me for months!!

As for teaching - again, you are correct. I enjoy it, but it takes up so much time. Hope to get something done this week - how many times have I said that recently?

At least I should get a bit of "playtime" when my new Britannias arrive - now that WILL be fun!

Jeff

Indeed the Britannias will be good, if they actually survive being unpacked without having bits fall off....  the whistle, cab roof vents, regulator rodding, all a bit vulnerable on these when inserting four-pin plug connector. But you probably know all that.

I'm happy because I won two Hornby weathered Black 5s on Ebay last night at a nice price, new, from The Model Shop in Portsmouth with good feedback, even if they do not have postage to NZ pre-calculated.  I got R2258 No.44781 unlined black weathered 2002 model and R2360B No.44762 also unlined black weathered.

I didn't want to be up at 2am for the close of the auction so left a top bid on each which proved to be ample  and under 70 quid each.  A bit annoying that now I'm awake they are asleep, or out watching the sunset, but it should all work out ok. 

Double-header Black 5s on the S&C anyone?

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

Rob,

Double headed anything in the S & C sounds good, and even more so if they were SOUND FITTED,

I can just hear that now Jeff.

I lived just out side Portsmouth until Oct 2005 but I don't know the Model Shop.

Bodgit

• RMweb Premium

Evening Rob.

I won't have to fit the decoder to Clive of India, as it's a digital sound model. However, I'll have to fiddle with the tender on William Shakespeare in order to fit the Lenz decoder that I prefer.

The range of options at TMC was excellent, but they'll only fit Hornby or Bachmann chips. These are ok, but there are far better available for such excellent models!

The Black 5s sound great. As Jason said, you can never have too many! I can see my fleet expanding to have 4/5 Black 5s, 4/5 Jubilees, 3/4 9Fs and 3/4 8Fs by the end of 2014. I'm planning a major expansion of my green class 40 fleet as well. I realise diesels aren't quite your thing!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Rob,

Double headed anything in the S & C sounds good, and even more so if they were SOUND FITTED,

I can just hear that now Jeff.

I lived just out side Portsmouth until Oct 2005 but I don't know the Model Shop.

Bodgit

Don't encourage me, Andy - I'm bankrupting myself already! 

Jeff

Now if only we had some decent hillsides, sorry, fells, within which to place this train.... together with examples of the stonework of the day..   this is a pic taken I think in 2010 when I lived in Christchurch.

post-7929-0-59933700-1368397206.jpg

We will need sound recording of howling wind, too....  or the chattering teeth of doughty photographers.

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 3

Wintry sun just warming the paddocks here...    better have a nice cup of tea. 

I admire the weathering you show in Lunester Lounge,  very nice indeed and isn't it scary how the camera shows things! I cheat with photo editing.   I have tried a bit of brush weathering too.

Cheers,

Rob

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Gold

Now if only we had some decent hillsides, sorry, fells, within which to place this train.... together with examples of the stonework of the day..   this is a pic taken I think in 2010 when I lived in Christchurch.

attachicon.gif5MT_7MT_Breasting_Grade_1961_800_full.jpg

We will need sound recording of howling wind, too....  or the chattering teeth of doughty photographers.

Naah, the exhaust's going straight up - this is what passes for a dead calm on S&C fells.

• RMweb Premium

I thought it was about time I posted something!

The photos show the walling jig. This is based on the idea given in the February RM. 

DAS clay will be rolled into the gaps shown. The gap is 8mm wide - so producing rocks of 2' scale width. The 4 gaps are different heights - 1.5, 2, 3 and 4mm (4.5", 6", 9" and 12" to scale).

The jig is strips of 60thou and 80thou plastikard fixed to a 40 thou base.

Walling construction will begin shortly.

post-13778-0-75668700-1368452115_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-76359000-1368452121_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I must commend Ian Nuttall on his RM article: Feb 12, p.106. His method works really well - cheers!

A sausage of DAS is rolled out between fingers and placed on top of a piece of roughly cut supermarket carrier that is sat in the gap:

post-13778-0-80011700-1368462327_thumb.jpg

The sausage is rolled to fill the gap - I found a 1.5V battery useful!!

post-13778-0-35482100-1368462335_thumb.jpg

Including cutting the bags and getting the DAS out of the packet it took me 20 minutes to do 2 of each thickness - and this was my first go at the technique:

post-13778-0-48098700-1368462373_thumb.jpg

The DAS is left on the bag until dry - tomorrow - and cut to length to produce stones...

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I've never used DAS before - quite good fun - though I probably won't be saying that after a couple of hours on the job!

Bit messy on the hands, but who cares if it works (sorry the photo is a bit blurred).

post-13778-0-76855800-1368462683_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

It's always nice when you try someone elses idea and it actually works!

I'm looking forward to seeing some walls appearing now! I take it that you are going to leave the materials by your armchair, so that while watching sport you can also do something constructive?

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

It's always nice when you try someone elses idea and it actually works!

I'm looking forward to seeing some walls appearing now! I take it that you are going to leave the materials by your armchair, so that while watching sport you can also do something constructive?

Andy G

Not a bad idea, Andy! When I've made a load of strips I'll cut them into different lengths. Then I could sit with a "bag of bits" and play while watching the footy...or cricket test matches...

I'm going to try the aqueduct walls first. Each stone has to be PVAd to the next, so I'll build the aqueduct on a 40thou plastikard base which can then be sat across the bridges.

It's going to be a LOT of work, BUT if it looks half-decent I'm prepared to spend many hours on this.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I'd just be careful of those carrier bags, they aren't the quaility they used to be. I find that some of them fall apart very quickly, failing in much the same way as a toughened windscreen does, into little shards, that can be a nightmare to get rid of. I'd hate to see you picking them out of your walls!

Andy G

(I see they is someone who actually calls themselves Andy G on here too. Not confusing at all. Maybe I should go over to using my other moniker 'the other Ag'?)

I'd just be careful of those carrier bags, they aren't the quaility they used to be. I find that some of them fall apart very quickly, failing in much the same way as a toughened windscreen does, into little shards, that can be a nightmare to get rid of. I'd hate to see you picking them out of your walls!

Andy G

(I see they is someone who actually calls themselves Andy G on here too. Not confusing at all. Maybe I should go over to using my other moniker 'the other Ag'?)

Don't worry Andy we know who you are, :O  there is also a REAL AndyP :no:  on here somewhere but he never seems to post anywhere.

Bodgit :sungum: :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Don't worry Andy we know who you are, :O  there is also a REAL AndyP :no:  on here somewhere but he never seems to post anywhere.

Bodgit :sungum: :sungum:

So we'll need Bodgit (aka Andy P, really Andrew P) and uax6 (really Andy G.....): Andy (G, uax6!!!!) - how about BoB (brother of Bodgit), since you share the same first name and post a hell of a lot on KL!!?

Only an idea!  :sungum:

Jeff