80s Home Improvement Stores?

• RMweb Premium

Jewson have been around a long time, although thought more of as a trade supplier, they were advertising on the TV in the 1980's. I also remember FADS and (I stand to be corrected on this one) a general purpose everything from furniture to boxes of nails shop chain called 'House of Holland' who no one else seems to remember!!

I wouldn't go too much on the architectual style, it's going to vary hugely from location to location. The Texas near where we lived was in an industrial park (note - not a retail park) and had a tiny front entrance. It was just a long building with a flat roof, nothing distinctive.

My main memory of it was that it was open on a Sunday when nothing else was. Seems incredible to think of it now, but this meant you could obtain chocolate from the selection by the till, when everywhere else was shut and petrol garages just sold petrol, oil and fan belts.

My main memory of it was that it was open on a Sunday when nothing else was. Seems incredible to think of it now, but this meant you could obtain chocolate from the selection by the till, when everywhere else was shut and petrol garages just sold petrol, oil and fan belts.

Similarly, I have vauge memories of B&Q doing a 'buy a carrot, get a free kitchen' promotion to get around Sunday trading laws in the late 80's :D

I also remember FADS and (I stand to be corrected on this one) a general purpose everything from furniture to boxes of nails shop chain called 'House of Holland' who no one else seems to remember!!

There was one in Manor Park (East London) that used to be Woolworths before that (towards the beginning of Woolies long, terminal decline). Just a bit nearer to Ilford Magnet Southerns bought up an old brewery (Ind Coope?) distribution depot. This was extensively rebuilt later but never opened under their name again as they went bust!

There was one in Manor Park (East London) that used to be Woolworths before that (towards the beginning of Woolies long, terminal decline). Just a bit nearer to Ilford Magnet Southerns bought up an old brewery (Ind Coope?) distribution depot. This was extensively rebuilt later but never opened under their name again as they went bust!

There was also a House of Holland in Walthamstow High St. (East London) It was there for years until its demise.....gotta be talking 30 years ago now!!

T

Jewson have been around a long time, although thought more of as a trade supplier, they were advertising on the TV in the 1980's. I also remember FADS and (I stand to be corrected on this one) a general purpose everything from furniture to boxes of nails shop chain called 'House of Holland' who no one else seems to remember!!

I was thinking of doing Jewsons, although am I right in saying that their logo has been the same for a long time?

Weren't Travis Perkins around in the 80's or did they start up in the 90's. More of a "Builders Merchants" but then so were Wickes originally.

Also don't forget Habitat or is that too posh?

... and don't forget that favourite of modellers ... Ikea !

Weren't Travis Perkins around in the 80's or did they start up in the 90's. More of a "Builders Merchants" but then so were Wickes originally.

Also don't forget Habitat or is that too posh?

... and don't forget that favourite of modellers ... Ikea !

Thanks for the comment. Yes, I'd forgotten about Habitat. Just a tad on the posh side, but its still possible. :stinker: Travis Perkins would actually be perfect because my layout is late-80s to mid-90s and TP were founded in '88. The Travis Perkins logo is also a circle symbol which would add interest I suppose.

Thanks again,

Andy

• RMweb Gold

there is an industrial estate between cradley heath and old hill, one of the buildings on there looks very much like an old texas diy building, the colours certainly do anyway, blue and red.

i think fads were based in holmes chapel, the buildings were next to the station, they were certainly there back in 2001 when i first worked trais past there

Another one that occurs to me was 'Queensway' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queensway_(retailer) ). They stick in the mind because they just had a perpetual sale on - they seemed to go through the year starting with a New Year Sale, then through Spring Sale, Easter Sale, Summer Sale, Autumn Sale, Winter Sale, Christmas Sale... before starting it all off again the following year.

Another one that occurs to me was 'Queensway' (http://en.wikipedia....nsway_(retailer) ). They stick in the mind because they just had a perpetual sale on - they seemed to go through the year starting with a New Year Sale, then through Spring Sale, Easter Sale, Summer Sale, Autumn Sale, Winter Sale, Christmas Sale... before starting it all off again the following year.

Same goes for Allied Carpets. I can't ever remember a time when they didn't have a sale on......

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

MFI was one of the biggest around that time and had stores everywhere. They started in the 1960s grew into maybe the largest player but ceased trading a few years ago. The brand has recently been relaunched as an online trader.

If you look up them and the other home improvement stores on Wikipedia you'll find their logos.

Another large one was Magnet - which might have been trading as Magnet & Southern at that time.

MFI split some of its kitchens off into Howdens somewhere around the early 90's, aimed at trade only they still trade, I have 3 within 10 miles.

Travis perkins appeared early 90's, locally they purchased Ellis & Everards and Keyline, they also know own Wickes, PTS + others.

Can't think when Plumb Centre, Build Centre etc (Wolseley group) started ?

• RMweb Gold

MFI? manufacturers of flimsy items...

Depended on how good you were at putting them together.

In my experience of putting flatpacks together nothing beats Ikea for sheer c**p, after about the 10th piece of furniture I stopped accepting the orders.

What about Halfords? Not really DIY but nationwide in a variety of sized stores and location and they would certainly have been trading widely in the 80's They used to have a small branch on Market square in central nottingham.

I used to work for Texas when I was a college. Most of the stores where either pent or flat roof sheds, with the odd one being a refurbished warehouse or supermarket.

Archived