RMweb private viewing and guided tour of Pendon Museum

Andy Y

In conjunction with a forthcoming feature on Pendon Museum we have arranged a private viewing and guided tour to the museum on the morning of Saturday 28th July 2012.

Dartmoor_small.jpg

For those who have not visited Pendon before this is a fantastic opportunity to see modelling of the highest standard through the epic Dartmoor and Vale of White Horse scenes at close quarters guided by the expert volunteers. For those who have visited before this is also a social occasion to meet up with fellow members and enjoy the guided tour.

Vale_small.jpg

Members taking up this opportunity could also combine the visit with lunch in one of the village pubs or to travel a short distance back to Didcot and visit the Great Western Society's Didcot Railway Centre.

The cost for the visit is £6.00 per member (a saving on normal adult admission charges) and is payable at the time of booking. Places are limited (a maximum of 50 split into two parties) and will be allocated on a first come, first served basis.

Please confirm in this topic if you would like to join us for this excellent day out and also download and complete the attached booking form. All monies collected are paid to the museum and your personal data is not used for any purpose other than the administration of this visit to the museum.

Pendon Booking Form.doc

Guest Natalie Graham

Can Pendon be moved further Southwest ?

I think the idea is that we visit Pendon, not the other way round.

• RMweb Gold

Despite being mainly of the other railway count me in. I have been following the museums progress, with visits very now and again, since the days of their nissen hut when I was still in short trousers.

Guest oldlugger

If I was in the UK then (which I won't be sadly) I would definitely have come along as I've never seen Pendon.

I'm a Friend of Pendon and try to get there at least once a year. It is well worth a visit to view top drawer modelling. Pending the completion of the Vale scene - about another nine years last time I heard - much of the stock destined to run on it is displayed in glass cases and can be examined at close quarters. The same is true of some of the buildings which have not yet been installed. Look at these and you will see perhaps why I am horrified at the prospect of being able to buy a mass-produced model of the Waggon and Horses and other Pendon classics.

Also there is John Ahern's seminal Madder Valley layout. This is a product of times when there was to all intents and purposes no r-t-r. It can teach us a great deal about the natural grouping of buildings in the townscape, and, as I noticed on my visit last week, about perspective. Few if any of today's modellers use it and it's our loss.

The date of the visit is ringing alarm bells - I think I am due to be in Cumbria - but I'll be there in spirit.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Sorry chaps, I'd love to go but I don't know which continent I will be on then!

If I'm in the UK, at the time, then the misses will have a firm hold of me lug hole!

Kev .

Hmmmm this is interesting!

I am going to say yes, if anything to meet up with other RMWeb users. Living less than 5 miles from Pendon I could easily cycle there, I really should go more often...

Missy :)

Members taking up this opportunity could also combine the visit with lunch in one of the village pubs or to travel a short distance back to Didcot and visit the Great Western Society's Didcot Railway Centre.

Pendon Booking Form.doc

Alternatively, if you like the "black stuff" (or 08 diesels!), it's also the Cholsey & Wallingford Railway's "Guinness Weekend" that day, again only a short distance from Pendon.

Not sure what my plans for the date are yet - my diary only seems to go up to June (and even then there are pages missing!).

In my opinion it is the pinnicle of modelling excellence, it doesn't matter

what your modelling interests are; steam or diesel, modern or historic,

you cannot fail to be impressed by the standard and quality of the work.

I went last year and was shown some amazing details by one of the guides

that I would have missed otherwise, when was the last time you saw a 4mm

robin on a fork handle!

Jeff

Archived