The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Getting close to wildlife - literally

Guest 34008Padstow

Guest 34008Padstow

Went for a walk in the local woods. Was surprised when a squirrel took a nut from my hand and even stayed around long enough to get up close to it.

post-6777-0-89206400-1337961253_thumb.jpg

post-6777-0-52587900-1337961307_thumb.jpg

Edited by AY Mod
Lousy spelling

I was cutting grass at a tree farm the other day and ended up chasing the wild turkeys around one of the fields. I was then driving the tractor to the next field when a big buck jumped out of the trees about 5 feet in front of me. Scared the living daylights out of me. I almost got hit by a deer on my bike once. Not a huge fan of them. :jester:

Try being chased on foot by a raging Moose!

That'll get your heart pumping!

It happened to me 15 years ago when walking home from a friends house in the evening.

The only thing saving me was some thick bushes that I threw myself into!

That was NO joy, as the bushes were of the thorned variety.......

Guest 34008Padstow

Ive been chased by a herd of cows. I had to do jump over a stone wall. That taught me not to take short cuts again

I few years ago now I hit a small deer (probably a Muntjac) at about 50mph in my Porsche, it shattered the (very solid) plastic front bumper, losing all the lights contained therein, dented the nose, crumpled the offside wing and deposited deer poop down the side of the car as the poor thing met its maker. I had my daughter in the car, roof off and just pootling along an old roman road and it was the middle of the afternoon and the stupid thing just stepped out of the bushes at the side of the road there was something coming the other way so I couldn't swerve and although a braked, I still hit it going at (I would guess) 40ish. The car was written off by the insurers but i retained it and bought second hand parts to restore it (a wing alone from Porsche would have cost over £800!). I still have the car but I imagine the deer ended up in the back of the following van (I didn't stop to find out)

Guest 34008Padstow

On my way to work a few weeks ago i had a small deer walk in front of my car not far from st columb. Luckily i was quite far back to stop in time. I thought it unusual to see during the morning. Probably never see that in a while.

A young coyote, taken out of the side window of the car. He was foraging on the road and was totally unconcerned when I drove up beside him, stopped, and took photos (range about six feet). This is near our cottage.

post-206-0-91597600-1338205310_thumb.jpg

Adrian

Edited by Adrian Wintle
  • Like 7

Something1.jpg

Last night I managed to take a snap of 'something' on the edge of the woods that border our garden. Not sure what it was, it shuffled about for about five minutes but took off like something possessed when it heard my mobile ring tone possibly it was startled?

As it seems quite friendly but incredibly stupid, we have named it Boris (Johnson).

Tim

Edited by Tim Hale
  • Like 7