The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Getting close to wildlife - literally

Guest 34008Padstow

• RMweb Gold

Maybe not quite wildlife but today, my horse discovered something living out in the wild, hidden away in long(ish) grass......

Looking at the last picture, either your horse is massive, or you found a dinky toy in the grass.

We have lots of blackberries growing in the grounds of a school behind our house. At this time of the year, they attract these:

post-1771-0-63074500-1346223423.jpg

a mother, with two cubs behind her

Unfortunately, they also find garbage appetising (these are not our bins):

post-1771-0-76913800-1346223554.jpg

and a cute pose:

post-1771-0-79602700-1346223500.jpg

• Like 4

A few days ago, I said in a status update that we had had bear cubs climbing on a trellis in the back yard, eating grapes from our vine, but I didn't find the camera in time to take pictures. It turns out our neighbours did get some pictures - here's one:

post-1771-0-34775800-1347218045.jpg

These are the same cubs that are in the pictures in post#110. They are this year's cubs and growing quickly - if they come back for more grapes, I think I might be doing repairs on the trellis.

We're getting a bit worried about these cubs. They're getting quite comfortable around people, which often does not end well for them. The mother has lived in woods behind our house for quite a few years, and is very careful and discreet. She's had several cubs (every two years) but, unfortunately, not all of them have made it to adulthood.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

A resident of Chester zoo and I don't think I'd like to get any closer to this chap (or chapess) unless there's a very strong pane of glass between us.

And even with the glass between us the hairs were up on the back of my neck!

• Like 1

I was slightly disturbed by an item on Countryfile last night, about herding sheep in the Alps - It seems the shepherds decide which are the four prettiest ones, and fasten paper reibbons to their horns to indicate which ones have been picked! I'll say no more! :O :o :O

wonder which yorkshire man taught them that :mosking: :mosking: :mosking: