Great West Road - transfers & I’m not talking football!

southern42

• RMweb Premium

Now, just what are you suggesting my 4mm lads would be getting up to, 81C? :mocking_mini: :wink_mini: :smile_mini2:

Still, from what I read about life on the tracks, the grown ups weren't short of taking a chance or two, either . :mosking: :pardon: :this:

Thankfully, we have plenty of down on the track places like Didcot, Butterley and Barrow Hill etc etc etc - playground-goes-legit.

Edit.  Just noticed I've been up to my old trick of addressing the wrong person.   :nono:  Apologies. Now corrected.

Edited by southern42

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Polly,

The Nunney Castle livery should be ok - just remove the lining below the footplate and the British Railways in Egyptian Serif font transfers are available from Fox as are little Ws. The only other trick with her is that she has a tender that has been modified in preservation. This means a bit of work to the top deck as she has increased water and coal capacity. Pictures on line will reveal the differences.

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Castle

Edit: and the obvious air pump on the running plate, the OTMR box on the back of the tender and the additional pipe work, air through pipe, air brake pipe and so on...

Oh, and the recent addition of the mechanical lubrication (I think this is slightly too late for your time period though).

Sorry - forgot those bits! She is one of the most modified Castles on the main line!

Does anyone do a detailing kit/parts for today's mainline steam?

Polly

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone do a detailing kit/parts for today's mainline steam?

Polly

Polly,

There was an article in October's RM on updating the Britannia but apart from new smoke deflectors most of it was plasticard.

• RMweb Premium

A question about these (from table above): Class 08    D3512 D3753 D3754 D3756 D3761 D3762 D3949 D3955 D3961 D4009

Southall had at least 10.  Where did they work? I'm guessing most went off to the goods yard.  Other duties?

I have one (with sound) which may get renumbered but see that there's another one out there with a Southall number but, since there are other classes to be represented, I'm not sure it's a priority to get this one......  :scratchhead:  b b but.. :no: ...00hhhhhhhhhhh....

Just winding you up.... :mosking:  hummmming sadly to myself Gromit leaving home music (Mozart clarinet bit)...  :cry:

Question 2.  When's my donor "Swithland Hall" appearing?  Should be...er...soon...?

Polly

• RMweb Premium

You may remember Dave posted this last week.

I've a couple of dozen other pics taken at Southall shed, a bit earlier than the Clun visit. I can send you a disk if you PM me an address to send it to.

Thanks

Dave

I've received the disc of photos and have had a quick look, well, a rather slow sort of quick look because there is so much to take in and note - like the  weathering detail you've noticed in the one above, Barry.  Amongst Dave's set of photos are some really sad 'uns with names and numbers removed, e.g. 4908, 4987, 2841, 6379.  A past its use-by road is a must, then, to convey this side of the sixties with the Flying Scotsman in its shiny LNER preservation livery on another road and hopefully Pendennis, not forgetting (Mascot) 1466..  And there again, according to Dave's photos - Grange, Manor, Castle, Hall, 4707 and 4705, plus 61xxs and 4575s.  Exciting stuff.  There are various views of the shed and the BR coaling stage.  All in all an excellent collection on which to base some modelling.  I couldn't thank Dave enough.

So, thanks again, Dave.  Magnificent.

Polly

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Polly,

There was an article in October's RM on updating the Britannia but apart from new smoke deflectors most of it was plasticard.

Thanks, Chris.  Found it. Read it. That's a good start.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Below are a couple of GWR pics from Warley.

Nucast 14xx on Aldbury Town. 

post-14049-0-57577900-1385328251.jpg

I've just noticed that I've subconsciously given it a number in the file name but I'll leave it up to you to discover which one.  [Hint: mouse-over image.] 

Worcester South Quay

post-14049-0-65878300-1385337414.jpg

Tedburn St Mary

post-14049-0-69754000-1385330326.jpg

[Perspex shield along the front - great for protecting the layout but not ideal for photographing it]

I like this for its tonal quality making the railway and scenics blend in - as they do in the world of theatre, film and tv, etc.  I mean, do we always dress to blend in with our home or workplace - or are we like some of the privatised railway companies standing out from the crowd or sporting colours that clash with everything else?  Just a point of appreciation on how we need to model our railways.

Some of the significant changes that interest me in the railway world is the addition of 'health and safety' yellow (contrasted against BR blue or nicey integrated into the Virgin Pendolino livery), today's bright orange safety jackets for crews on mainline steam and the new breed of (possibly over the top) brightly coloured foliage and how people use them on their layouts, consciously, intuitively or otherwise.

On a completely different note, I finally caved in and ordered a loco....

See unravelled's photo above.  :D

Polly

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I had a couple of hours free last night so I got to grips with the Presflo.

Materials at hand: black and white inks; white acrylic artists paint; powdered white, grey and black pastels and talc; a couple of brushes.

I only have weathering powders for the metal work - more fun later, then.

I took photos of progress along the way to try and get the right look.

There's a pic of each side.  If you think I've over cooked it, do say and I'll lessen the effect as it's all water-based.  Some photos of presflos show cement cover right across the top of the sides from one end to the other such as the NRM one of 1961.  Others seem to have been filled at one end only. 

National Railway Museum:  http://www.nrm.org.uk/OurCollection/LocomotivesAndRollingStock/CollectionItem.aspx?objid=1986-7004&pageNo=3#panel-1

Photo collection: http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brpresflo

And a rake in LMS territory along our North Wales Coast (1965): http://www.flickr.com/photos/holycorner/8406076386/

post-14049-0-26599800-1385589401.jpg

post-14049-0-30045800-1385589421.jpg

Thanks to BarryO's demo at Warley.

Polly

• Like 5

I had a couple of hours free last night so I got to grips with the Presflo.

Materials at hand: black and white inks; white acrylic artists paint; powdered white, grey and black pastels and talc; a couple of brushes.

I only have weathering powders for the metal work - more fun later, then.

I took photos of progress along the way to try and get the right look.

There's a pic of each side.  If you think I've over cooked it, do say and I'll lessen the effect as it's all water-based.  Some photos of presflos show cement cover right across the top of the sides from one end to the other such as the NRM one of 1961.  Others seem to have been filled at one end only. 

National Railway Museum:  http://www.nrm.org.uk/OurCollection/LocomotivesAndRollingStock/CollectionItem.aspx?objid=1986-7004&pageNo=3#panel-1

Photo collection: http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brpresflo

And a rake in LMS territory along our North Wales Coast (1965): http://www.flickr.com/photos/holycorner/8406076386/

attachicon.gifIMG_0457 presflo cement post warley 2013.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0080 presflo cement post warley 2013.JPG

Thanks to BarryO's demo at Warley.

Polly

Hi Polly, I hope you are well and its good to see you on here again, I have missed you wit.

The Castle is a cracking Loco, I had one some time ago, it was an older Hornby one, Spitfire, and I hard wire chipped it, it was so nice after I weathered it that I was FORCED by a Club Member to part with it for some hard earned cash.

The Prestflows look good, I don't think you have over done it, some were pretty grotty from what I have seen in some pics, I have a book of prototype wagon pics in colour for the weathering modeller but unfortunately its packed ready for the Big Move. If I do come across it I will find a pic to post for you.

All the best and regards to Ray as well, hope he's well

Bodgit :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Hi Polly, I hope you are well and its good to see you on here again, I have missed you wit.

The Castle is a cracking Loco, I had one some time ago, it was an older Hornby one, Spitfire, and I hard wire chipped it, it was so nice after I weathered it that I was FORCED by a Club Member to part with it for some hard earned cash.

The Prestflows look good, I don't think you have over done it, some were pretty grotty from what I have seen in some pics, I have a book of prototype wagon pics in colour for the weathering modeller but unfortunately its packed ready for the Big Move. If I do come across it I will find a pic to post for you.

All the best and regards to Ray as well, hope he's well

Bodgit :sungum:

Hi Andy.

I've been trying to sort out possibilities with what's out there in the great RTR / Ebay world to see how it matches up with photos and information at hand.  The layout will probably look like any other layout but I would like it to run the unusual as well as the familiar

For instance, I've found a possible donor engine for 9642 as in the engine driver's special, 1963.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/7690481364/lightbox/

The brake vans seem to be (ex) LMS like this though, at first, I did wonder if they were sharks.

http://www.2857.org.uk/2857_lms_brake_van.html

So what's the closest best available in 4mm?

Andy and Don. Thanks for the comments about the Presflo.  That's very reassuring.  It looks more natural in the flesh and it's certainly an improvement on my first attempt.

Looking forward now to the Castle arriving.

Polly

• Like 1

Evening Polly,  l have been watching your progress with interest, and l like the weathering of the pressflow wagons too, just remember no two wagons were the same, they were all different in some way, l used to like watching the oil tank trains going through Eastleigh at night with 'Bodgit'  some 15 years ago, and on a train of say 20-30 wagons each one of them were different ?  (like your choice of motive power too)

George.. 

• RMweb Premium

Good morning(!) George.

As to no two wagons looking the same - I guess, you can say the same for today's freight from what we saw on the Settle and Carlisle in the summer and passing through Shrewsbury last Saturday.  Until I looked into the Brentford branch line, I can't say I took much notice of wagons let alone how they were weathered!  Now I've got more ideas than I'll probably have room for - coke, coal, timber, mixed, food, cars, stone, weedkiller, ballasting [edit - and the yellow waste train].  Freight from the west, Midlands, south coast and Grand Union Canal dock.

Polly

Edited by southern42
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have been looking at unravelled's photo of Clun Castle in the yard which has had its number and nameplates removed. Photo here #386

Dave, was your photo taken at the end of 1965 as brdatabase has Clun Castle withdrawn in December 1965 which would make sense of the contrasting images of the Castle, one rather grand the other a bit sad looking or was this taken before its last official run from Paddington? 

Clun Castle at Southall with the Warwickshire Railway Society Great Western Steam Tour from Birmingham to Swindon on 3 April 1965, below.

8441366129_55457c6073_z.jpg

Another useful view of the signal box too and signal.  I also notice someone up the post!

Was Clun painted black at this time? See photo below taken at Paddington.

http://www.friendsreunited.com/steam-paddington-7029-clun-castle/Memory/ffa64a1a-56c2-4efc-8d38-a08e013348cb

More Clun Castle info here: http://www.tyseleylocoworks.co.uk/tlw/7029.htm

But here's what the lady really wanted to find in print:

Southall Motive Power Depot had the honour of preparing the "Clun Castle" the day before for its final journey, as it had done the "Flying Scot" the week previous.  [Pendennis Castle also gets a mention.]

"FAREWELL TO STEAM" by A.J. Errington, page 4 of the Southall Local History Society Newsletter Spring 1966.

Well worth the search to confirm my guesses.

:sungum: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum:

Polly

Hi Polly,

As far as I know, Clun has never been black. There were two castles that were reported as being painted black during WWII but this was before No.7029 was built.

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Castle

• RMweb Premium

Closest brake van will be the Hornby model. It needs a bit (lot?) of work to get it looking something like (it still comes with the massive tension lock couplings that keep much of Hornby's rolling stock firmly in th Triang days) but is a good starting point. All us LM Region modellers need loads of them, so it is definitely on my wishlist for a decent RTR or kit to be introduced.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Castle.

May be it's the old colour photos losing their colour making it look black. I certainly suspect as much in Dave's photo as the Castle does look bluish.

I always understood that the passenger locos were green which is why I asked.

But never take anything for granted.

Polly

• RMweb Gold

My photos of Clun at Southall were taken on  29/3/1965. It had been on the  Ian Allan Lickey and Midlands Railtout (thanks Six Bells Junction), with the X20 reporting no on the 27th.

Most of my pictures should have some info including approximate dates as tags stored in the exif image data. Dates are usually in yyyymmdd format.

Hth

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, Dave.

Thanks for reminding me about accessing the data info. Forgot about that.  Just shows you how often I use these things.

I found the Six Bells Junction page, too - I have it book marked so that was easy!

Polly

• RMweb Premium

Closest brake van will be the Hornby model. It needs a bit (lot?) of work to get it looking something like (it still comes with the massive tension lock couplings that keep much of Hornby's rolling stock firmly in th Triang days) but is a good starting point. All us LM Region modellers need loads of them, so it is definitely on my wishlist for a decent RTR or kit to be introduced.

From what I've managed to find on the web, I'd agree with you.

A Hornby 2014 prediction, then?  (see it's own thread)

Polly

• RMweb Premium

Now, I do like that, Castle.  But I think I'll just stick with a blue Bittern (as D.of NZ) for now.  :D
Oh, and Fred, the blue 08 to shunt its water tender around.

10269698265_5701df6f76.jpg
000a. 08780 Southall Depot. 13-Sept-13 by paulfuller128, on Flickr

Polly

• Like 2