The human side of the railway...

Thanks Ian.

My grandad had been for most of his career a relief signalman, 

Later when he was more senior he relieved or assisted the Exeter Signalling Inspector.

His visit to the training school may have been in connection with this.

cheers

• Like 1

Here is another one from me, and a question about it if I may.

While researching family history looking through old photos I came upon this picture.

It was in an envelope stamped with:-

'The Railway Executive Southern Region'

Gorse (?)  6 Jan 1949

Staff Training College

It was sent through the internal railway post to my grandad

William Redwood

Signalman

W D S O

Exeter

attachicon.gifscan0057.jpg

My grandad is 6th from left back row wearing a dark suit,

the back of the picture is printed

British Railways , Southern Region, Advertising Department, Waterloo.  14.12.48 Ref 2349/48

Any ideas where this may have been taken?

cheers 

Would have been at Gorse Hill, which is just ouside Woking on the back road to Brookwood. It was built by the Southern as a staff training college and many of the original (unmistakable italianate) SR buildings still stand. Sold by BR some years ago (70's ??), it is currently owned & run by a private firm as a conference & training centre and I've attended the venue on Railtrack & NR business meetings / courses on a number of occasions during the 2000's.

Would have been at Gorse Hill, which is just ouside Woking on the back road to Brookwood. It was built by the Southern as a staff training college and many of the original (unmistakable italianate) SR buildings still stand. Sold by BR some years ago (70's ??), it is currently owned & run by a private firm as a conference & training centre and I've attended the venue on Railtrack & NR business meetings / courses on a number of occasions during the 2000's.

Many thanks for that

cheers

• RMweb Premium

post-6813-0-85787000-1361919504_thumb.jpg

The driver of 31119 looks back to check on the station work at Peterborough

this was the 10.15 Birmingham New Street - Norwich which I had caught from New Street on my day out, 23/7/80

cheers 

1 - flares - check

2 - bag (Adidas?) - check

3 - annoying kid brother - check

4 - hair - somewhat short, already left the 1970s behind.

Edited by Flying Pig
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

As we all know, railwaymen and women are hard-working, sober-minded folk determined to deliver the best deal for the customer.

Off-duty, they may take on a different hue. I almost cringe to publish this link, which demonstrates an enormous ability to enjoy themselves. "Not Captain Kernow" and the Stationmaster might care to look carefully at the first photo. Two of the chaps on this page were my flatmates in 1973 - until I nicked Deb from one of them, who went off in a huff, unsurprisingly. I am still in contact with two or three of these people.

http://www.barham-kent.org.uk/room_84_show/R84S%20BrightonBelle.htm

• Like 5

"Flares" in 1980??????? Must be a hix from the stix......

Best, Pete.

Well, although I was behind the camera, I was not at the cutting edge of fashion myself....

cheers

PS  'Hicks from the Sticks' a 1980 compilation album featuring Clock DVA and Wah! Heat amongst others.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I see you.  An acknowledging wave in reply to the train horn as 1P22 Manchester Airport to Middlesborough approaches Heaton Lodge East Junction at line speed, 28th February 2013.

• Like 9

What a great thread, and it makes you realise what a marvellous railway system we used to have, until the suits and bean counters became involved.

People working hard and providing an essential public service.

Thanks for allowing us outsiders a glimpse into your everyday world.

Keep it,up!!!!

• Like 8

What a great thread, and it makes you realise what a marvellous railway system we used to have, until the suits and bean counters became involved. People working hard and providing an essential public service. Thanks for allowing us outsiders a glimpse into your everyday world. Keep it,up!!!!

Couldn't agree more :)

It's such an interesting read

and great to see some cracking shots that may otherwise not have been shared....

Keep it up folks!

And yes, I'm sure James is quite right

Despite the suits, bean-counters et al - there are still plenty of people working hard on the railways....

• Like 4

Two pictures taken at an EWS Staff Open Day at Barton Hill Bristol in 2001.

post-7081-0-70786800-1362158041_thumb.jpg

A general view showing the bottom two sheds at Barton Hill, I am not sure of the heritage of these sheds

though I believe they had originally been used as engine sheds before Barton Hill became a wagon repair depot, 7/7/2001  

post-7081-0-01509000-1362158068_thumb.jpg

The naming ceremony for 67010 Unicorn, 7/7/2001

cheers

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

ODS systems are only installed at CCTV monitored crossings and are therefore interlocked with the signalling system and are used to lower the barriers when a train is approaching in such time that the driver should receive green aspects. The crossing however remains a manually operated one because while the ODS system triggers the crossing sequence and the lowering of the barriers, the protecting signals will remain at red until the controlling signaler has observed the crossing to be clear by CCTV and pressed the "crossing clear button". Furthermore I would imagine (not having any on our patch yet) that if the ODS showed there to be an obstruction pressing the "crossing clear" button would have no effect. Furthermore I believe the signaller retains the usual crossing controls so can allays override the ODS system (in terms of barrier operation that is).

There are two main reasons for their introduction, firstly if the signaler doesn't have to put the barriers down themselves it means they can monitor more crossings. Secondly it also guards against situations where the signaler 'looks but does not see' and mistakenly traps pedestrians between the barriers but presses the crossing clear button. The big disadvantage (as recounted in another thread) is if the ODS becomes dirty it will continually think that there is something on the crossing and will not only prevent the barriers lowering, but it also should prevent the "crossing clear" being given and thus hold the protecting signals at red.

Not so on the Norwich Road,

The old gated crossings have been converted to full barrier crossings with just OD's. There is NO CCTV at them. They drop automatically and then the OD's do a sweep of the crossing to check it's clear and then if it is, clears the signals automatically. The Bobby will only get involved if they don't clear, when they have to caution past the protecting signal.

The first one at Shippea Hill got dirty very quickly. The contractors couldn't understand it. Then a tractor went by on the road spreading mud from its wheels. The contractor said 'whats that doing using this road' the MOM decided to give the contractor a small piece of his mind!

These crossing have two contractor attendants on call to cover 24hrs, as they are that reliable!

It has also been discovered that dirt kicked up by the train is covering the lenses so that they don't work. In all a well thought out system, that puts time into trains every day.

Andy G

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

post-9767-0-27356300-1362428376.jpg

Arrival at Blackpool 30 September 1961.

Photograph C E Steele

The Midland Compound had come to pilot Mallard on the return working of the Northern Rubber Special.

Most of the passengers off to the promenade and later the illuminations give no more than a passing glance towards the loco at the head of the train.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

A couple of Dad's from around 1950, when he had  a track permit.

post-5613-0-78263200-1362429552_thumb.jpg

pw men Lenton Junction Nottingham c1950 JVol1043

post-5613-0-57365700-1362429573_thumb.jpg

pw men Kegworth c1950 JVol1048

Note the clothing.

David

• Like 18