The next Ixion loco - what do you want?

81A Oldoak

• RMweb Premium

Speculation on that 3rd Gauge 0 loco.....

Is an ROD/GCR 8k 2-8-0 too big? It would fill a mainline gap for many. More useful for the small layout would be a Beyer Peacock 2-4-0t which ran on the Isle of Wight and on Sydney NSWGR suburban lines, as 1033 preserved at Trainworks. One for HartleyMartin!

The HC saddle tank looks good in its new livery.

Dava

Based on Chris's clues, my money is on a collaboration with Dapol. Their long-promised Terrier will be the locomotive. According to Wiki, eight locomotives were built by local Australian builders for the NSWGR in Australia – to the LB&SCR's general arrangement and drawings – and entered traffic as the N67 class at about the same time as the A1X class in England. They were essentially identical engines, except for a simpler cab, larger bunker, larger sandboxes and other various detail differences.

Anyone got a better guess?

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

. . don't forget that the first Ixion loco was the N Gauge Manor (rights now with Dapol) and the second one was On30 1:48 Narrow Gauge South Australia Coffee-Pot and only then did we get the three O Standard Gauge Industrial Locos . . . . that's covered the interests of the three directors and so it could be a case of 'anything goes' next time.

I had a hint last year that one of the projects being considered would be aimed at the Australian market and wasn't 7mm. Based on Dave's comment above, although I appreciate that there was a connection with Dapol for the N gauge Manor, I wouldn't expect Ixion to be involved in another joint venture with them, particularly in view of Richard Webster's position there and links with his company Lionheart Trains. Perhaps after all the comments from Adrian Swain in the various topics, the joint venture will be with ABS :O  :no:  :O  :no:

Based on Chris's clues, my money is on a collaboration with Dapol. Their long-promised Terrier will be the locomotive. According to Wiki, eight locomotives were built by local Australian builders for the NSWGR in Australia – to the LB&SCR's general arrangement and drawings – and entered traffic as the N67 class at about the same time as the A1X class in England. They were essentially identical engines, except for a simpler cab, larger bunker, larger sandboxes and other various detail differences.

Anyone got a better guess?

Cheers

Dave

Except that Dapol has probably ponied up most of the $ required already and is approaching delivery in the coming months? The assumption that another UK company is another model railway manufacturer might be misleading - who knows, perhaps a preservation society or a retail store is helping the wheels to turn?

I feel like the ROD 2-8-0 is a fair bet in limited-run brass.... I know there has been success in that sphere with Australian retailers (to Australian modellers) before.

And I reckon I'll have one of those new darker-green Hudswell's, the scheme is very similar to that used on a number of the locos on my chosen Mountain Ash prototype and suits that little loco very well. And it's of the size and style that would make it believable fiction in such a location!

Except that Dapol has probably ponied up most of the $ required already and is approaching delivery in the coming months? The assumption that another UK company is another model railway manufacturer might be misleading - who knows, perhaps a preservation society or a retail store is helping the wheels to turn?

Has anyone seen a hint of any pre-production Dapol 7mm loco yet? At least Ixion have a tried, tested and manufactured 0-6-0 chassis that, with appropriate adjustments could perhaps form the basis of another 0-6-0 without incurring new chassis development costs. I'm sticking to my guns for now but won't lose sleep if time proves me wrong!

Has anyone seen a hint of any pre-production Dapol 7mm loco yet? At least Ixion have a tried, tested and manufactured 0-6-0 chassis that, with appropriate adjustments could perhaps form the basis of another 0-6-0 without incurring new chassis development costs. I'm sticking to my guns for now but won't lose sleep if time proves me wrong!

Yes, nearly everyone has seen (more than) a hint of any pre-production Dapol 7mm loco;

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/87122-first-pre-production-sample-of-the-Dapol-o-gauge-terrier/

You're welcome to stick to your guns, but I'd double-check that they've got bullets before swinging them around......

Of course the bucket is already available with the Hudswell Clarke or the separate pack of loco tools . . . . . . . . .

I can live without the bucket and tools, just give me a No 5 please.

Come on Chris you are being very quiet of late on this subject ;) .

Martyn.

Guest Isambarduk

"Surely this lovely little loco needs some consideration [Wantage Tramway No. 5 'Jane']"

Well, that's a very fair contender and I'll tell you how I know ...
... I was part way through building HC Easingwold No.2 from an Impetus kit when Ixion came out with their excellent RTR Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0ST, which rather took the steam out of the project as I was diverted into converting one into GCR No. 278 (I'll get back to No. 2 one day)

Then Ixion brought out their Fowler 0-4-0DM, based on GWR No.1, which rather took away the 'celebrity' value of my Fowler 0-4-0DM LMS No.2, which I practically scratch-built using some of the parts from the Underhill kit (see www.davidlosmith.co.uk/LMS_Fowler.htm)

Like many, I started the MRJ scratch-building project to build WT No.5 'Jane' but, like many, I could not keep up and so the project has been 'work-in-progress' ever since (I'll get back to No. 5 one day)

So yes, if Ixion wish to go for a hat-trick, WT No.5 would do it!

I have other contenders some built and some unbuilt but I'm keeping quiet about the latter as I don't want to improve their odds :-)

David

If only the wheelbases were the same, that would keep the re-tooling costs right down. Just a thought ( hint-hint ).

Martyn.

Martyn,

We got quite excited when we discovered the LNER J64. The two J64s were inside cylinder 0-6-0Ts manufactured by Hudswell Clarke for the Mid-Suffolk Light Railway with the same wheelbase as the Ixion 0-6-0ST. They survived until 1929 and received LNER livery. Unfortunately, the layout of the motor and gears in the Ixion model didn't suit this loco despite the common wheelbase and wheel diameter. It was not a simple superstructure "top and drop" as the chassis needed re-tooling negating any hoped for economies of scale.  http://www.lner.info/locos/J/j64.shtml

We think there are two further versions of the Fowler diesel that would fit the Ixion 0-4-0 chassis. I may have a go at mocking up the centre-cab version used by the RAF should I ever find the time and a drawing, but this could be a good project for a 3D printed kit. https://www.flickr.com/photos/johngreyturner/3849464057/

Hi Chris,

This just goes to show that there is so much more than just identical wheelbases and wheel diameters to take into account, and how critical things are when it comes to costings, I have a lot to learn !

Mind you that Fowler AMW212 has a chunky appeal to it :paint: .

Martyn.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

I have yet to enter 7mm scale modelling but after handling an Ixion HC 0-6-0ST loco in an show in the UK I feel severely tempted...

My choice would be for a Sentinel steam loco. Preferably the version with the fluted bonnet.

Speaking of Sentinels (sorry to hijack the thread) and given that I'm writing from S. America, a sad bit of news - the two broad-gauge (5'3" gauge) which shunted the Amsted-Maxion wagon works in Cruzeiro, São Paulo State, are going to be retired - if they haven't been already. Thus ends regular working steam in South America...

Cheers Nicholas

São Paulo, Brazil.

Hello all,

I have yet to enter 7mm scale modelling but after handling an Ixion HC 0-6-0ST loco in an show in the UK I feel severely tempted...

My choice would be for a Sentinel steam loco. Preferably the version with the fluted bonnet.

Speaking of Sentinels (sorry to hijack the thread) and given that I'm writing from S. America, a sad bit of news - the two broad-gauge (5'3" gauge) which shunted the Amsted-Maxion wagon works in Cruzeiro, São Paulo State, are going to be retired - if they haven't been already. Thus ends regular working steam in South America...

Cheers Nicholas

São Paulo, Brazil.

Well you know what Oscar Wilde said about temptation...

Archived