Bromley North

BR(S)

This is my OO gauge layout based on Bromley North station in south east London; it is not supposed to be true to prototype, just set in the same location with the same two platform terminus. Any other likeness ends there!

To begin with, here is the history behind the layout:

“Bromley North is set in the sectorisation period in the mid-to-late 1980s and is under the remit of Chris Green’s Network SouthEast. Amongst its shabby surroundings it boasts two platforms and two carriage sidings, all third-rail electrified, and a non-electrified freight line.

For many years, one train per hour from Bromley North has served central London using Cannon Street station, calling at Sundridge Park, Grove Park, Hither Green, Lewisham, New Cross and London Bridge. These services use 2-EPB EMUs.

With Network SouthEast’s attempt to significantly improve inner-London railway services, a new hourly service has also started from Bromley North to Willesden Junction in west London, calling at Sundridge Park, Grove Park, Hither Green, Lewisham, Nunhead, Peckham Rye, Denmark Hill, Brixton, Clapham High Street, Wandsworth Road, West Brompton and Kensington Olympia. This is an extension of the service that previously ran between Clapham Junction and Willesden Junction; it no longer calls at the former, to free-up some much needed platform space.

The new service is run with whatever rolling stock happens to be available on the day; this includes Class 101 and 108 DMUs and locos of classes 25, 31, 33, 47, 50 and 73, with Mark 1 and 2 coaching stock. Recently, solitary class 150 and 153 DMUs have arrived, on hire from Regional Railways, to test their cost efficiency and reliability on this service compared to the older stock. They are so new to the area that their destination blinds still display their old route destinations of Preston, Liverpool, Newport and Cardiff!

Also to be seen at Bromley North is a daily Motor Luggage Van delivering mail and newspapers to the area. There is a small amount of freight, serving local light industry via the Speedlink freight initiative; a resident Class 08 can be seen shunting wagons for these services.

With the Conservative government of the day looking at cost efficiencies throughout British Rail, Bromley North and its small branch line must justify its survival. Will Network SouthEast and Speedlink offer a new lease of life?”

I have built several layouts over the years, culminating a few years ago in a 15ft x 20ft layout, with a wide range of locos and rolling stock. After a while, I found that I no longer enjoyed running such a large and diverse layout, so I sold a lot of it and built something much smaller (this layout measures just 8ft x 2.5ft, with half being scenic area and half fiddle yard). The baseboards are two Ikea INGO tables. I was originally going to use Peco Code 75 track but after buying a piece of C&L Finescale OO gauge track, I was suitably impressed by the more realistic look and this has been used in the scenic area. I spray painted it with Railmatch sleeper grime and am really pleased with how it turned out. I have used Peco points and I found they are compatible with the C&L track without adjustment. Third rail is by Peco, painted in Humbrol Chocolate, number 98.

Bromley North uses DCC for loco control (DC for point motors, signals and lighting) and I opted for the Bachmann Dynamis. I have used more expensive systems previously but considered these to be overkill for such a small layout. I also wanted to try a system that uses infrared so I could move about freely. I am pleased with the Dynamis and have experienced no problems so far, having used it for nearly a year. I am now beginning to sound-equip my locos and multiple units; I have used manufacturer-equipped sound previously and this will be the first time I have installed DCC sound from other providers.

I have tried to capture the look of a grimy, overcrowded Southern Region station and environs that it far too labour-intensive for the small number of passengers it serves. My inspiration for the overall look is Harford Street, although I don't think I've captured that level of realism. More weathering and gloom is needed! Scenery-wise the layout is very nearly finished as I had a lot of scenic bits left from previous layouts, so just had to put them in place. At the moment, I am unashamedly a user of ready-to-plant buildings and there are some superb offerings from the major manufacturers, the Scenecraft range in particular. The station uses a lot of items from the Scenecraft Great Central range and I think the high level station building fits nicely into the Southern Region. That and the road bridge tunnels are used for the layout/fiddleyard break.

What is left to be done?:

· All locos and units to be sound-equipped;

· Construct a small signalling panel;

· Wire point motors for my two trap points;

· Wire up the signalling (4 x colour-light, 1 x ground position light and a Dapol SR sempahore when released) and lighting.

Layout pictures

Overview of the layout looking south. A 2-EPB waits to depart with an off-peak service to Cannon Street.

post-17625-0-88033600-1354823793.jpg

post-17625-0-80315200-1354824139.jpg

Looking north from platform 1 and 2. Note the new piece of third rail on the left of the first picture, painted in a light rust colour rather than Humbrol chocolate.

post-17625-0-27598400-1354824282.jpg

post-17625-0-90452500-1354824284.jpg

A Class 33 can be seen waiting to depart with a Speedlink service.

post-17625-0-62192100-1354824288.jpg

What the driver sees arriving at platform 1 and 2. The Class 45 is on a service to Willesden Junction, hauling two coaches.

post-17625-0-16394600-1354824291.jpg

post-17625-0-04594700-1354824294.jpg

A shark brakevan dumped in a rusty siding. Note the Not To Be Moved board.

post-17625-0-89693300-1354824295.jpg

Some scenic shots.

post-17625-0-83259400-1354824298.jpg

post-17625-0-48113200-1354824302.jpg

post-17625-0-14572700-1354824306.jpg

A couple of overviews of the scenic area.

post-17625-0-78760200-1354824309.jpg

post-17625-0-37181700-1354824328.jpg

Hello all, many thanks for your replies. A few more pictures below, showing some of the rolling stock that operates on the layout. I have tried to keep it to what could realistically run in the area, although I did come up with an excuse as to why the second generation 150 and 153 could run as I liked the models.

A Class 25 stabled in one of the carriage sidings with two Mark 1 coaches, used on the Willesden Junction service:

post-17625-0-48439000-1354830542.jpg

You can just make out a Class 153 on hire from Regional Railways:

post-17625-0-49077900-1354830545.jpg

Classic Network SouthEast on the Willesden Junction run, a Class 108 in NSE livery, with correct destination blind. Note the NSE clock with realistic missing digit!:

post-17625-0-37771800-1354830551.jpg

A Class 31 on a solitary UKF Fertliser wagon. A Hornby Class 08 will shunt wagons eventually, but I am waiting for Hornby to release a blue one with sound:

post-17625-0-81100500-1354830568.jpg

A Class 150 on hire from Regional Railways is stabled in the number 2 carriage siding:

post-17625-0-55330400-1354830572.jpg

An MLV has delivered its newspaper load and departs from Bromley North:

post-17625-0-36302700-1354830577.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I do prefer layouts that land on RMweb with a wow factor - as this certainly does. Bromley North was part of my patch for a couple of years, although a decade before NSE, and your use of modeller's licence is pretty sensible. Good pictures too. A lot to like here - well done!

• RMweb Premium

I do prefer layouts that land on RMweb with a wow factor - as this certainly does. Bromley North was part of my patch for a couple of years, although a decade before NSE, and your use of modeller's licence is pretty sensible. Good pictures too. A lot to like here - well done!

I quite agree, very nice indeed.

I too used Bromley North for a brief period back in the BR Blue-period of the early 1970s, although I have to admit I don't remember a lot about the place. Maybe you can jog a few memories for me!

All the best,

Dave.

Ahhh, the Bromley Poppers. (Grove Park to Bromley North). I did my low adhesion training along the line. Take a 4 car 465, put something slippery between the wheels and the rails and try to stop and the red light. All good fun!

Hi BR(S),

I've just seen this topic.

You have produced a really nice layout indeed. I do like the consistency of the weathering, detailing and especially the treatment of colour.

Dare we ask to see photos of what is going on beyond the over bridge? It woud be interesting to see how all the lines link up in the non-scenic area.

All the best,

Colin

Ahhh, the Bromley Poppers. (Grove Park to Bromley North). I did my low adhesion training along the line. Take a 4 car 465, put something slippery between the wheels and the rails and try to stop and the red light. All good fun!

Trust me ... You don't need any manmade solutions to keep your low adhesion skills right up there usually on 'The Poppers' ;)

Once waited and watched the 'Popper' leave Sundridge Park and take 30 mins to get to Bromley North !!!!!!!!!

Mike

Superb piece of period modelling BR(S).

Cracking use of space but without the "cramed in" look.

Just love the way it all blends effortlessly together to form one big piece of modelling pleasure for the eyes to take in.

As already said above, but have to repeat it, the weathering of the stock and all the other areas really makes the layout stand out as a superb piece of work.

Will we be seeing it on the exhibition circuit at some point.

Excellent layout & look forward to more pictures.

Paul

Archived