Thanks and Merry Christmas (end of year report)

DapolDave

Hi everyone,

I hope i dont overstep the mark here by posting this but i thought i'd write a little missive before signing off for Christmas (Dapol are shut from today at 12.30 until the 2nd January).

It's been an interesting and stressful year, not forgetting busy, with new products, the new revamped catalogue and special comissions etc. This has increased my workload by 300% over what it was 4 years ago, and Dapol have never been busier.

Our move into O gauge has been a major talking point and has proved very sucessful, with the launch of our 5,7 & 8 plank wagons (including special comissions) far outstripping our initial production quantities, showing that there is a huge market for competitively priced O gauge wagons and locomotives. It is fair to say that we will now go on to challenge the perceived price points of O gauge models with a vigour as we know that our prices are such that if all shops sold at full RRP then literally everyone down the production chain would be making full markup, so why be greedy when you can have far more of the pie by being satisfied with costs.

Our O gauge 08 is coming along nicely with cad/cam designs of the model in it's various guises expected shortly. Other announced products are in development and should, i hope, be with us all in 2013 (Mayan calender permitting).

In OO is where we have really expanded this year, and as i write this the first D1000 "Westerns" are on the ship heading to the UK for release in late January (Steam Museum D1000's first), with the second batch (Blue and Green) in final production but shipping in about 2 weeks time, and maroon to follow suit).

This model was much more complex than just pointing a laser at it, and as such the help i got from members of this forum to 'knock it into shape' has paid dividends, and i do think it is to Dapol what the gorgeous Blue Pullman is to Bachmanns range. I thank everyone that had comments to make on the project here, and you'll find you have also been aknowledged in the instructions sheet for history and all purchasers of this model to see. Thanks again! :imsohappy:

The 73 is the next beastie and has proved immensley popular already even before metal cutting, so i think we have another winner here.

The Class 21/29 is proving problematical though, with very slow progress made on this project due to lack of NBL plans out there (unless someone on here has any), and the GWR railcar is just awaiting the traverser at Swindon to have final repairs so that #4 can get pulled out onto it for laser scanning.

Wagons are coming along apace, and i expect to see the MJA and HIA Freightliner heavy haul wagons out there in around 6 months.

N gauge has proved popular as ever, although only a tiny faction of sales compared to OO gauge, but has maintained its market presence with models of 300 (our standard run nowadays per running number) selling out. New models including the Bullied Pacifics, Schools, 50's and 59's will be here in 2013 with the class 33/1 first.

The 2884 loco is on the ship at present and will be released along with 27's and class 22's in January

The class 52 "Western" sould be released in March at the Alexandra Palace show.

Stock releases in 2013 will include the Maunsell coaches, the FruitD, Grampus, and revised CCT (the last 3 imminently) along with the JNA and IOA wagons in Network Rail livery and the MJA + HIA in Freightliner Heavy Haul livery.

MK3 coaches and buffets (including twin packs) are on the ship as i type so will be in the market in the next 4-6 weeks.

Special comissions are moving along at pace with new thoughts and quotes being prepared by myself for clients on an almost weekly basis. Some are quite mind blowing in their choices.

However i cannot and will not now comment on forums and at shows on these now as we have confidentiality agreements in place with all clients, and besides its their baby, we just make it :yes:

As for new items from Dapol? Well i'm already working on some surprises for everyone. some will be off the wall i'm sure, while some might be 'oh that's perfect, we need those', and i am working at length with outside parties to get these sorted for inclusion in our 2014 catalogue. I have a list of N, OO & O gauge loco's and stock that i am working through for 2014 and 2015 along with more innovations that might impress or depress if that is your want.

Anyway, thats where we are right now, I hope this helps fill some gaps and clarify things. I'm off to Mexico now to remind myslf of what the sun looks like for a week, before i come back for new years then it's off again. Basically this means i wont be on much from today until the 16th January to answer mails or questions here so please be patient and i'll get to you as soon as i'm able.

Have a great Christmas everyone and a peaceful New Year and i hope Santa brings you all you wished for. :locomotive:

Cheers

Dave

Happy Christmas Dave.

It's so refreshing that a manufacturer can be so open with us all, without obviously giving away any confidential stuff. I'm sure that this sort of relationship, which I feel is beginning to come from Hornby now as well, can only be good for the long term health of this great hobby.

Thanks for the update Dave and the acknowledgement in the Western's box is thanks enough for letting people help in part.

A Merry Christmas to you and your team from me and the team here. Good luck with everything in the New Year (although I probably wouldn't have chosen Mexico in case there were any humpy Mayans still left around). have a great holiday.

The Class 21/29 is proving problematical though, with very slow progress made on this project due to lack of NBL plans out there (unless someone on here has any), and the GWR railcar is just awaiting the traverser at Swindon to have final repairs so that #4 can get pulled out onto it for laser scanning.

Hello Dave,

Merry Christmas, and the update is an awesome help.

I'm just wondering if there is anything in particular causing a problem with the NBL type 2s? Or is it literally the whole thing? The recent Modern Locomotives illustrated was a big leap forward in 21/29 detail. They are a murky subject. I'm racking my brains if the my attic contains anything of help as it's full of books and generally railway tat.

Oly

Happy Christmas Dave.

It's so refreshing that a manufacturer can be so open with us all, without obviously giving away any confidential stuff. I'm sure that this sort of relationship, which I feel is beginning to come from Hornby now as well, can only be good for the long term health of this great hobby.

I felt it was also refreshing that the BP/Bachmann - after all a rival company & their product - could be mentioned, in such a friendly and positive way. Shows that we can all get on together.

Merry Christmas to Dave & all at Dapol, good luck with the future.

Stewart

Quote - The Class 21/29 is proving problematical though, with very slow progress made on this project due to lack of NBL plans out there (unless someone on here has any),

It was my belief that a set of official drawings had been made available., but I may be wrong.

Last post before I go on holiday,

Sorry ScRSG, your belief is incorrect.

As far as is known there is no complete set of NBL class 21/29 drawings, much the same as the 22 and the D600 loco's (and look how long the 22's took to get 'right').

In fact any plans for the 21/29 have been extremely hard to come by.

The NRM say they should catalogue some D600 and 21/29 plans soon but can give no date. This, to help you with your posting in another thread, doesn't help us get the model out in a reasonable time span. In fact all it does is cause problems as I refuse now to compromise on the work done to create a growing name for Dapol in accuracy for this relatively OO gauge range.

So although I know it feels like we are avoiding Scottish modellers, but truly we are not. 26 + 27 in N, scottish bubble cars announced in OO today etc. So bear with us, and if you can help with NBL plans please feel free to do so as it will finish the project quicker.

In the meantime I'm not prepared to have open production and development slots when I could be filling more gaps in the market and helping Dapol make money, sorry.

I hope to hear from you soon if you can chase the reason for your belief that we had a full set of plans and chivvy things up for us.

Cheers

Dave

Archived