Camel Quay - A North Cornwall inspired layout in 4mm

tender

One thing missing from the platform area was a uncoupling magnet for the Kadee couplings. I like to use the under track magnets so they are invisible, but when building I didn't know at the time the best place to place it, and then forgot all about it until it was too late.

Up to now I've been using an uncoupling stick in this area. Having seen some experiments of neodymium magnets by CC on his layout Pwllheli http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/60560-pwllheli-next-stop/?p=950234 I thought I'd give it a go but first try it on a test piece of track.

Quite unintentionally I discovered that by placing only one magnet on one side uncoupling would only occur in one direction.

post-11105-0-41985900-1387146348_thumb.jpg

This suits the platform area as uncoupling is always from the same direction saving unintentional uncoupling.

Just need to stick it in place, paint and touch up the ballast. Certainly a lot less noticeable than the kadee 'between' track magnets.

• Like 2

Just spent a while reading back through this thread, all i can say is what a superb layout, its a credit to the skills of Ray and Polly, really has got me thinking about DCC now for mine!!

Look forward to seeing more updates guys, this is something special :)

All the best

Matt :)

This would have been the alternative without digging up a section for track and ballast to install a under track magnet, a kadee between tracks magnet.

post-11105-0-83057000-1387218725_thumb.jpg

The neodymium magnet has been given a coat of paint and a bit of weathering. (These photos shows I still need to touch up the ballast in places along the edge of the platform)

post-11105-0-82090000-1387218859_thumb.jpg

And here's a video of it in operation, 'look, no hands'.

Enjoy.

Ray.

• Like 15

Back to a bit of modelling, some more work on the MSE Southern signal.

Thought I'd better try it out for size before getting too far.

post-11105-0-97536500-1387564027_thumb.jpg

post-11105-0-79232800-1387564040_thumb.jpg

The lamp bracket, lamp and finial have been fitted and a quick spray of white primer.

Still lots to do but getting there slowly.

• Like 14

Hi Andy, I'm hoping to have it controlled by a servo under the baseboard but still thinking about how to implement this so the signal can be removed for transportation. I have a few ideas to try out over the Christmas break.

Ray

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Camel Quay's M7 loco got a Zimo sound decoder upgrade for Christmas.

Here's a few pictures of the installation

Firstly the body was removed and the Fitted DCC decoder removed. The Zimo sound decoder (mx648) is more or less the same size as that removed so was a simple swap.

post-11105-0-90132900-1388698502_thumb.jpg

I decided to fit the speaker in the bottom of the bunker above the rear bogie.

post-11105-0-41411300-1388698518_thumb.jpg

The water tank (under the coal load) and the floor had to be milled out for the speaker.

post-11105-0-86867400-1388698531_thumb.jpg

Leaving an orifice either side of the body mounting screw.

post-11105-0-49662100-1388698547_thumb.jpg

I changed the supplied 'sugar cube' speaker for a much larger 25x15 mm Zimo speaker which was a good fit in the space.

post-11105-0-70364800-1388698565_thumb.jpg

This was sealed in with blue tack,

post-11105-0-46484600-1388698581_thumb.jpg

And the coal load replaced and sealed.

post-11105-0-08953200-1388698594_thumb.jpg

All that remains now is to paint the blue tack black and cover with a layer of real coal.

Will do a YouTube video next time the layout goes up.

Ray

• Like 6

Very good Ray, I'm looking to do a Jinty later in the year and I was going to put a cube in the cab and then put Crew in side to hide it, but your method is so much better, if it works the same on the Jinty its a much better job.

Well done Ray, :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

Andy :sungum:

As promised a quick sound clip of the M7.

The Loco and sounds were controlled by a micro controller which will give semi automatic operation of the M7-Pull/Push on Camel Quay to allow the operator a bit of time to fiddle in the fiddle yard while keeping something of interest going on in the front scene.

Ray.

• Like 13

Hi Ray, just wanted to say that is an excellent job on the M7. Very neat installation that sounds great too. Did you put the decoder itself in the side tank?

I'm very interested in replicating this in one of my M7's. Could I ask what was the order code on the speaker you used? Is it 8ohm as I cant see one similar on the Digitrains website.

Thank you,

Regards Glenn

As promised a quick sound clip of the M7.

The Loco and sounds were controlled by a micro controller which will give semi automatic operation of the M7-Pull/Push on Camel Quay to allow the operator a bit of time to fiddle in the fiddle yard while keeping something of interest going on in the front scene.

Ray.

This is the first sound installation that suits my tastes.

• Like 1

Now if we can do unto the DJM/Kernow O2 the same type of sound enhancement....when if finally arrives......

If it's anything like the BWT it's not going to be an easy task. I have a BWT to do for Camel Quay but not looking forward to it. I did see Kernow were selling off a few remnants of the BWT with sound but from what I gather the speaker was just stuffed in the cab. I may be wrong without not actually having seen one.

I have a couple of O2 kits, one by SE Finecast and one etched brass kit by Alan Gibson.

My guess is we won't see the Kernow O2 this side of 2015 (but would love to be proved wrong) so one of the kits may make it to the layout first. Hopefully with sound.

Hi Ray, just wanted to say that is an excellent job on the M7. Very neat installation that sounds great too. Did you put the decoder itself in the side tank?

I'm very interested in replicating this in one of my M7's. Could I ask what was the order code on the speaker you used? Is it 8ohm as I cant see one similar on the Digitrains website.

Thank you,

Regards Glenn

Thanks Glen,

The M7 was a Hornby DCC fitted model so the weight in the side tank had already been removed. This proved to be the best place for the Zimo MX648R decoder as it is about the same size as that removed. I tried to identify the old decoder but there are no markings on it and DecoderPro won't even recognise it, so it's a mystery chip.

The speaker is a Zimo LS15X25 8 ohm, I'm pretty sure I got it from Digitrains.

Let us know how you get on.

This is the first sound installation that suits my tastes.

What about the T9 and N Class?

Hi Ray and Polly,

Great M7 Video, the over run with the chuff going off looks to be spot on, did you have to change any CV's for that or is that how it came?

Andy :sungum:

Hi Andy.

I did change a few CV's but nothing drastic. First CV267 to synchronise the chuffs to the wheel rotation, CV's 3,4 for the acceleration/deceleration rate and a bit of remapping of the sounds attached to the function keys.

The layout should be going up shortly now the Christmas tree has been put away for another year so will try a do another video with its Pull/Push coach set. Might add a bit of N class and T9 footage as well.

Ray.

• Like 1

Evening Ray, thanks for the info, I wouldn't know where to start on re mapping as I only use the G/M  Prodigy.

Looking forward to the T9 and N.

Regards to Poll. :O the Dooo Daaa pincher :no: :no: :no: :no:

Andy. :sungum:

Thank you so much Ray for getting back to me. Will get in contact with Digitrains and have a bit of an investigation.

Loving the rest of the layout as well by the way, particularly how you have done the quay area.

Regards Glenn

Thank you so much Ray for getting back to me. Will get in contact with Digitrains and have a bit of an investigation.

Loving the rest of the layout as well by the way, particularly how you have done the quay area.

Regards Glenn

Glenn, I may be wrong with the Zimo speaker as I couldn't find it on the Digitrains website, but it is listed on the the Coastal DCC site.

(Usual disclaimers)

Ray.

• Like 1