Lynton & Barnstaple OO9 Loco from Heljan

Mike Bellamy

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks for these photos. Is that the GWR 2-8-0 Night Owl in the background of your second photo, and what is the small tank locomotive 'underneath' in your fourth photo??

John

No idea on the 2-8-0 but the locos below are the 1361 and 1366 tanks see the seperate threads.

I was mesmerised by the Waffles in the Heljan case, until someone who obviously thought he was more important decided he needed to be where I was! Andy's studio shots really emphasise how lovely these locos are!

I'm glad I've got the two Southern versions on pre-order, I'd best get some crew figures sorted for those nice spacious cabs! Hopefully access to the cab will be pretty easy and non-destructive!

Cheers

J

• RMweb Gold

Do the lamps work ?

Doesn't look like it, there's no wiring to the cab rear or smokebox area apparent in the pics I took of the chassis, posted earlier in the thread. The lamps wouldn't be lit in daylight anyway so not really worth the effort for the few running at night. Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

Very nice.

I wonder what the chances are of a 7mm version?

Well they were wary about a 009 version but the pre orders are very high so you never know they might be persuaded in the future. When you see the supposedly niche models Heljan has produced and justified second runs even in multiple liveries, see the Metropolitan Bo Bo's! ;)

Edited by PaulRhB

A short video taking a look at the Heljan Stand, during the Warley National Model Railway Exhibition.
On show, as well a huge display of current production models, was a number of up and coming and prototypes, including the all 009 L&B Manning Wardle 2-6-2T's, 0 gauge GWR 61xx Large Prairie's, 00 gauge British Rail Class 07's, plus much, much more.
Filmed Saturday 26th November 2016, we take a closer look at these new models, plus more. 
Hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwMEL_dmQy8

Nice to see this developing well, and Heljan are to be congratulated. The overall look is good, and I think captures nicely the original. But there is one area that immediately sprung to eye as being somewhat amiss, and that is the application of the livery on the front of the tanks. The lower edge of the lining should be higher, and in line with the lower edge on forward part of the side tanks. The curvature of the underside of the tank here may have something to do with this (is it too large, and thus the lining on the side at all too high?), but the big difference in height really shows to me.

post-10648-0-46605000-1481054757.jpg

Nice to see this developing well, and Heljan are to be congratulated. The overall look is good, and I think captures nicely the original. But there is one area that immediately sprung to eye as being somewhat amiss, and that is the application of the livery on the front of the tanks. The lower edge of the lining should be higher, and in line with the lower edge on forward part of the side tanks. The curvature of the underside of the tank here may have something to do with this (is it too large, and thus the lining on the side at all too high?), but the big difference in height really shows to me.

attachicon.gifRM3.jpg

Well spotted! However check this one out. The top and bottom horizontals on the tank front DON'T align with the sides. The top is higher and the bottom lower. The outside corners are not rounded and that rounded bottom corner on the model is quite wrong. This all results in the inner, curved side being the wrong shape and the green panel being too small. Bearing in mind that these locos were all hand-painted, there may have been variations in the precise shape and detail of the lining but I can't find a shot that shows the lining as it is on the model - unless that's been taken from the replica loco.

Also worth noting that the cab side horizontals below the window are seriously bad - on the real thing! They slope downwards in a manner which would look awful on the model, and have us all complaining. The real thing wasn't always perfect. (CJL)

post-1062-0-17773200-1481055587_thumb.jpeg

Edited by dibber25
  • Like 4

Here's Taw showing exactly the same front end lining as Yeo - square corners and a simple curve around the smokebox with no angled top corner. She matches Yeo pretty exactly, except that her cabside lining is neatly horizontal. This is one of 'Uncle Mac's' shots taken in the last year of operation. (CJL)

post-1062-0-01145700-1481057041_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

Yes 009 is an established UK gauge/scale combination, that portrays basically a two foot gauge, narrow gauge line, but modellers portray 1foot 6 up to 2.6feet using the same 9mm track. The gauge/scale relationship is deliberately left a bit elastic, as the differences are small in 4mm or H09, the continental version, which has several names. The slightly smaller H0 scale narrow gauge locos and stock are often mixed with 4mm items.

The Heljan is nearer a scale 4mm, where the 9mm track portrays 2foot 3inch, instead of the real L&B gauge of 2 foot. Peco's matching L&B coaches and goods stock are 4mm scale to run on 9mm track.

Stephen

Indeed the models are 4mm scale on 9mm track, its a slight scale/gauge compromise but allows scratch and kit builders to use N gauge chassis virtually unmodified to represent the narrow gauge system.

Its a bit elastic, but tends to be restricted to railways between 1ft11.5 in gauge (Ffestiniog / WHR / L&B) and 2ft 6in (W&LLR, GVR).

• RMweb Gold

RM3.jpg

I fed this back via Andrew Burnham at Peco a couple of weeks ago when I saw the samples. ;)

Please pardon a complete novice to narrow gauge, but... these run on N gauge track, but are to 4mm (OO) scale?

Seeking knowledge in Oz,

Peter C.

If you are a novice, I think it worth pointing out that, whilst 009 stock will run on N gauge track and N gauge stock will run on 009 track, the two look a bit different. Sleepers for N gauge depict main line track in N scale. Peco produces two types of 009 track: “crazy track”, which depicts rather haphazardly laid narrow gauge and “main line”, which depicts rather more carefully laid track.

as the differences are small in 4mm or H09, the continental version, which has several names. 

Would beg to differ. For those of us who have seen the Real Thing the difference between OO and HO scales is quite large. For instance put an HO scale Mini alongside an OO one and you'll see. The reason a lot of HOe scale stock runs on 009 layouts is simply that the HO stock is based on 750/760mm (2ft 6ins) gauge prototypes which are naturally much larger in Real Life than most of the British 2ft and 2ft 3ins prototypes and so the models ends up similar in size to the smaller gauge stock due to the scale difference, same as the HO and OO SG comparison.

HO9 was used in the very early days by Egger and Peco I believe, but the standard for Mainland Europe has been HOe for ages or HOn30 in the USA. It is perhaps best to use those two rather than HO9 when looking for anything on the 'Net these days!

Also worth noting that the cab side horizontals below the window are seriously bad - on the real thing! They slope downwards in a manner which would look awful on the model, and have us all complaining. The real thing wasn't always perfect. (CJL)

Wasn't Yeo repainted locally at Pilton not long before closure? Obviously an afternoon job after a few lunchtime ciders!

Edited by Coppercap

Wasn't Yeo repainted locally at Pilton not long before closure? Obviously an afternoon job after a few lunchtime ciders!

Most work was done locally - even major overhauls I believe. I did once read that the 'SOUTHERN" lettering was hand sign-written because Eastleigh didn't have small enough transfers. Strangely, the sloping line seems to follow some equally sloping rivets! Those who are debating the rivets on the Dean Goods should take a look at the real thing in STEAM. The rivets along the running plate are all over the place - not the neat rows we expect on models! I'm still waiting for someone to produce a Crewe-built 'Western' with the over-stressed skin that's all crumpled! (CJL)

• Like 1