Thanks for the info, James. I am of course quite well aware of your excellent work, just that I hadn't looked at this thread for some reason (I think I might have mistaken it for another thread with a similar title).

Re the Brush 4, it surprises me to know it is Bachmann. I've never really taken to them and thought it might be a Heljan but most likely Vi. It shows what a bit of weathering can do.

As for it 'eeking out its last days'.... 47s don't eek anything. They retire gracefully or they go out with a bang. Other, lesser, classes eek out days.

I'm going back to page 1 of this thread tonight so I will have a bit more thread watching to do.

Following on from my scratchbuilt petrol station and period houses, I've knocked up some scratchbuilt shops!

29259695005_482708b1c2_b.jpgScratchbuilt shops for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

29181026531_a7ded9d55b_b.jpgScratchbuilt shops for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

29151466302_16e1b3621a_b.jpgScratchbuilt shops for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

This little parade is based on the real life Uxbridge Road that sits just North of Kensington Olympia, and I've tried to replicate this as closely as possible. Each shop is based on one on the real road itself, and scratchbuilt in card and styrene strip.

Here's how it went...

28971480200_b4cb31e166_b.jpgScratchbuilt shops for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

The starting point was the original sketch, then scaled and drawn onto mounting card.

29259715615_50929b1833_b.jpgScratchbuilt shops for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Windows were cut out and experimental brickwork effect card added with the help of some ancient Scott Mills podcasts!

Later, the window detail was created with small cuts of styrene strip to build up the frames, I've not gone for translucent windows as this is a low-relief set of shops that will sit on the back scene opposite the BP petrol station. There will however be some indulgent shop interiors in the lower floors!

29181088661_2738db80c8_b.jpgScratchbuilt shops for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

The shops were test fitted on Worthing MRC's Loftus Road to see how it went, and cut-outs made for the giant glazing of the shop fronts on the ground floor...

29181082991_588ae01ac3_b.jpgScratchbuilt shops for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

I was feeling a bit fancy so have experimented with light up shop display signs - these were cut out behind where the graphics will sit, and a bulb or LED will sit behind to illuminate. More and more pieces of styrene strip were added too. Billie is recommended when tackling a Chicken Cottage.

29181078001_1b89ae88da_b.jpgScratchbuilt shops for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

I then had some annual leave the other week and turned the shop fronts into a 3D building - just modelling the frontage of the building but with a decent depth for the shop interiors. 

28638715963_db104d13b2_b.jpgScratchbuilt shops for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

The shop interiors themselves were knocked up from some simple cardboard, which was then laminated in my custom-made shop interiors. 

29181064901_532bb554b6_b.jpgScratchbuilt shops for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Much like my previous petrol station, these are designed in Corel Draw and based on numerous prototype photographs to get them just right! The graphics and signage was probably the most time consuming part of the project - it had to be 100% correct or the effect would be ruined!!

The model was then assembled and further detailing added, including security alarms, CCTV, satellite dishes, drainpipes, cable runs and more. 

29181057381_aa4c855502_b.jpgScratchbuilt shops for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

29181048951_1b8a8c594d_b.jpgScratchbuilt shops for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

29181016071_665cac5fa5_b.jpgScratchbuilt shops for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

I like the variety of shops that a London prototype brings, makes for something a bit different to Skaledale!

28636726214_7b41c6f255_b.jpgScratchbuilt shops for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

And of course, where would we be without a cheeky Nandos!

29259637325_f075ffc18f_b.jpgScratchbuilt shops for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

The interior was all scratchbuilt from card and some Preiser food and drink added to the tables and painted up like a decent hot wing platter! Make mine a double chicken wrap with peri fries and spicy rice..! The Archbishop of Banterbury can just be seen eating at the back.  

28638651673_608c2d1ddf_b.jpgScratchbuilt shops for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

We can also see the iconic Chicken Cottage - this version is one of the recently refurbished stores with new layout, clean and shiny awaiting a lively 3am brawl from the post-clubbing set!

29225424916_8c50b31b9e_b.jpgScratchbuilt shops for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

My fruit and veg shop - the Kabul Gate Supermarket sits pretty with its Lycamobile sponsorship, this will later be detailed with big racks of fruit outside the shop and some PayPoint branding. We will unlock your Apple iPhone for cheap! 

28636691404_1bcf674ffa_b.jpgScratchbuilt shops for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Finally something for the winners and losers - William Hill for the betters and Cash Converters for when it all goes pear shaped!

28636719574_8a5458d92e_b.jpgScratchbuilt shops for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

29225462696_49a1c1efe3_b.jpgScratchbuilt shops for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

29259676725_e10f837e2f_b.jpgScratchbuilt shops for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Here's the shops temporarily set down in the street, they do need a fair bit of work to get them buried, but will soon look like they've always been there!

29180972121_a707732287_b.jpgScratchbuilt shops for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Panning out further, this is the street scene opposite the BP petrol station - this will one day be a vibrant buzzing Uxbridge Road - give me a couple more months! ;)

28971375710_8753ac068b_b.jpgScratchbuilt shops for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Not long now until our Warley appearance this November, it's all cranking up in terms of the scenics and there's plenty more on the way!

Don't forget the scale cockroaches on the floor of the take-away, or the public health inspector, and the trail of take-away wrappers along the street. 

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Here's the latest addition to Loftus Road - something for our fascia!

post-6896-0-39758200-1474659443_thumb.jpg

Proudly displayed by fellow Worthing MRC gang members Chris and Pete, this is one of the lovely Tim Horn laser cut nameplates, finished of course in our signature Silverlink purple!

• Like 16

• 4 weeks later...

As per Wigan Wallgate's post...... I've just spent a large chunk of time going through this thread, and the attention to detail is just amazing. I'm not particularly interested in the 21st century railway myself but what has been achieved on this layout is superb, particularly the scenes surrounding the railway.

London buildings are predominantly yellow brick, and initially I thought your red brick buildings were out of place. A quick virtual visit to Uxbrige Road has proved me wrong, so this thread has enlightened me as well as entertained me.

Cracking stuff  :y   

Just looked through the thread and got to say the work and layout is stunning! Can I ask what glue do you use to stick plastic to card or to stick down the brick papers you use?

Think I've said this about some of your weathering but James you should write a book!

Hope I get a chance to see Loftus road in the flesh.

Steve

• RMweb Premium

As per Wigan Wallgate's post...... I've just spent a large chunk of time going through this thread, and the attention to detail is just amazing. I'm not particularly interested in the 21st century railway myself but what has been achieved on this layout is superb, particularly the scenes surrounding the railway.

London buildings are predominantly yellow brick, and initially I thought your red brick buildings were out of place. A quick virtual visit to Uxbrige Road has proved me wrong, so this thread has enlightened me as well as entertained me.

Cracking stuff  :y   

Thanks very much Kier! I love your Wibdenshaw by the way, I spent more than an hour gazing at it when it came to the Crawley/Horsham show the other year! :)

Just looked through the thread and got to say the work and layout is stunning! Can I ask what glue do you use to stick plastic to card or to stick down the brick papers you use?

Think I've said this about some of your weathering but James you should write a book!

Hope I get a chance to see Loftus road in the flesh.

Steve

Thanks Steve, flattered by the book comment!! We've got an in-joke at the club that I use Bostik on everything (Wells Green was built out of it!) but in recent years I've mainly been using the non-solvent PVA-type 'Krystal Klear' glue from Microscale - it's on Amazon and eBay and great to work with. The best bit is you can remove any finger prints and wipe away any spillages with so much ease, and you don't get any warping issues with plastic sheet etc, well worth a go!

• RMweb Premium

Welcome to London

30371623832_8f115149e6_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Modelling London in the 2000s, it was inevitable that we would have to reference the increased security of recent years, so armed police have arrived at Loftus Road!

My starting point was similar to the LFB firefighters from last year - some plastic elderly gentlemen snaffled off eBay from a Chinese factory - £1.72 for 100 people -

30452022796_ca64ea84aa_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

The elderly gentlemen were promptly stripped of their walking sticks, and I set about cladding them in body armour and building miniature guns from styrene strip!

30452014446_22731f0213_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Now beyond playing Grand Theft Auto, I'm no expert in weapons, so I can't name the type of guns here, but can confirm they are absolutely as near as my clumsy hands could get to modelling the guns used in photographs of armed Met Police units from Flickr. Again, another project requiring much time spent looking at photos of men in uniform!!

30190069870_af3b2e0b1b_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

The chaps seemed to have handguns in their side pockets and tazers for good measure! Lots of styrene lumps and bulges were added in the right places, and the figures had their elderly gentlemen's flat caps sanded down to represent the navy blue baseball caps of my prototype armed police officers.

Ready for painting, I had choices on uniform, the earlier white shirt & black trousers, all-black or, but my favourite prototype policemen were wearing the navy blue, so I went with this!

30371662272_51b17beaf4_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Additional paint detailing included the yellow for the tazers, silver for the handcuffs, and white insignia & numbers. The small velcro 'Police' logos were made up in CorelDraw and added to the front and black versions added to the rear.  

30488495185_14b08dd72e_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

I had to get the positioning just so, the officers always seem to hold the gun with their ultra-long index fingers stretched out and poised over the trigger ready for action!

29856137253_16f6e12843_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

I couldn't resist bending the arm of the above guy to put it into the flap near the armpit area, like the real guys do! One of my mates is a policeman and I once got to try on his stab vest, surprisingly snug!

30401704101_7c77cd1718_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

A decent show of force at Loftus Road.

I went for a more everyday London scene, but an idea for someone else could be to go full-on and model one of the Met Police armoured Ford 'Jankel' US pickup trucks with a few of the latest Counter Terrorism squad in their helmets and Robocop-style outfits as at Wembley the other year!

30371642052_014419e35b_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Another 'London' scene completed on Loftus Road, just a few more to go as the outing at Warley draws ever closer!

Edited by James Makin
  • Like 13

Hi James,

Another fantastic cameo. Your eye for detail and modelling potential combined with your ability to put it into practice is second to none. It is always so worthwhile dropping by this thread to catch up on your latest developments.

I can't help thinking those policemen look like they're selling Metro's though!

I'm looking forward to having a good close-up look at Loftus Road at Warley, as I'll be there having a break from all things ScotRail with the Bleach Green layout.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Waverley West

No that's wrong

MP5 is used less frequently these days

What you have modelled is a HK G36 .

They switched for one reason as the MP5 fires pistol calibre ( 9mm) and the G36 full bore rifle ( 5.56mm I think )

Offers better penetration if the bad guy has a bullet proof vest ...

Gonna be really nerdy now, the Land Rover Disco needs fluorescent yellow dots in each top corner of the front & rear windscreens to represent a ARV (Armed Response Vehicle), I believe... I know, I need to get out more. Fantastic work btw...

I went for a more everyday London scene, but an idea for someone else could be to go full-on and model one of the Met Police armoured Ford 'Jankel' US pickup trucks with a few of the latest Counter Terrorism squad in their helmets and Robocop-style outfits as at Wembley the other year!

30371642052_014419e35b_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Another 'London' scene completed on Loftus Road, just a few more to go as the outing at Warley draws ever closer!

Edited by kevblokey
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

No that's wrong

MP5 is used less frequently these days

What you have modelled is a HK G36 .

They switched for one reason as the MP5 fires pistol calibre ( 9mm) and the G36 full bore rifle ( 5.56mm I think )

Offers better penetration if the bad guy has a bullet proof vest ...

Thanks Rob! I've just Googled both guns and can confirm the G36 looks exactly like the ones on the officers I'd based my models on, this is most informative!!

Gonna be really nerdy now, the Land Rover Disco needs fluorescent yellow dots in each top corner of the front & rear windscreens to represent a ARV (Armed Response Vehicle), I believe... I know, I need to get out more. Fantastic work btw...

Kev, this is very useful - I've just run a quick Flickr search and those yellow dots are absolutely there, but I would never have noticed those otherwise! The power of RMWeb!! I'll be up the club next week armed with some yellow paint and a cocktail stick..!

Cheers lads!

James

• Like 3

I'm just wondering whether James has a little 'something' for uniforms...you should hear the conversations he has been having about the ambulances we have for sometime in the future on LR... :secret:

Cools modelling as ever.No detail left un noticed !

This is one of those models that the trains are rapidly becoming a sideshow to the great scenics !

Incidentally , for your armed coppers you could have some guys packing on the platforms.

For a while now the BTP has had armed officers. These guys have a different carbine again - this thing is called an LMT defender - an AR15 derivative made by LMT in the states

post-450-0-85025200-1477223640_thumb.jpeg

My guess is they got a good price from the US as the HK products aren't cheap.

That'll give James even more ideas for gentrifying the other end of LR - I'm already worried about what goes at the Earl's Court end. There'll be no end of Cereal Killer Cafes and other niche businesses on the doorstep before you know it!

• Like 1

Kev, this is very useful - I've just run a quick Flickr search and those yellow dots are absolutely there, but I would never have noticed those otherwise! The power of RMWeb!! I'll be up the club next week armed with some yellow paint and a cocktail stick..!

Cheers lads!

James

To be extra picky, the Oxford Diecast Land Rover has the blue light bar fitted back to front. The red flashes should be facing the rear but they appear to be wrong on every model.

Superb modelling though. Well done!