A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

Duck had the Finchings in Cleethorpes yesterday and that's nearer to Stafford than Brent. They are considering catching the 5.17 ex Cleethorpes (change at Stockport?) arrive Stafford 9.02 and then a chaffeur drive to the venue to meet their fans.

The £58.20 return fare is a sticking point though, and they are considering taking the fast train from Cleethorpes to New Holland Pier and crossing to Hull as an alternative.

They have heard the (fishing) Fleet is "in" and that the Hull clubbing scene is very good. They are also "interested" in a military gentleman, currently serving with the East Yorkshire Regiment and based at Victoria Barracks, Beverley. 

He is an old acquaintance from the war years and was a liason officer with the U.S.Army in the South Hams teaching them how to drive in the South Hams Bocage without demolishing all the picturesque cottages.

'Fast train' to the Pier? Erm, bogcart every few hours to Barton. They decided to get the bus I'm afraid as it is free on a Bus Pass. ( I think I'm getting my centuries mixed up here.....I'd better go and curl up in my 'nest').

Let me know how they get on with Major Dan Gler.

P

Are they any good mechanically?

P

Not to0 bad at all. I'm quite happy with mine, which started out with single chimney , moulded smokebox darts and early crest. A 247 developments double chimney and etched plates and  a couple of hours work transformed it.

Look from post 397 (page 16) of my Wencombe thread to see the conversion

post-7090-0-56402300-1391259947_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-48676400-1391259965_thumb.jpg

Edited by westerner
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Oh I like that Alan, thanks for posting those.

I remember the blokes at Laira telling me that the Counties were very popular with crews on the Cornwall line(s). Acceleration was very good, better than my car by all accounts.

• RMweb Premium

Good to see you, Mike, Dave and Chris F at Stafford today. Obviously my loco confessions will stay on the darkside of the moon for a while, although I did get the accompanying book you mentioned, and Mike was right about the LHS pipes!

Pity that Langley didn't do a whitemetal rhino... I'll keep a lookout for one though.

Good to see you, Mike, Dave and Chris F at Stafford today. Obviously my loco confessions will stay on the darkside of the moon for a while, although I did get the accompanying book you mentioned, and Mike was right about the LHS pipes!

Pity that Langley didn't do a whitemetal rhino... I'll keep a lookout for one though.

Saw you in passing.

Nearly didn't recognise you because you weren't wearing the tutu.

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see you too Chris.Had a cracking day with Mike and met a few members along the way Chris F,Coombe Barton etc.Didn't spend a lot but chatted too much.Cross Country service was very good too. ;) Met Mrs Finching,ask Mike and didn't see one rhino.

• Like 1

Nice lady, but no competition. A certain lack of style

A certain lack of style .....hardly surprising since Mrs Honeyman is clearly the Irish sister of the foul-mouthed Mrs Brown but at least she had the good sense to emigrate to the genteel South Hams - note the similarity in snozzles and jawline:

post-9751-0-80645400-1391349657_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see you too Chris.Had a cracking day with Mike and met a few members along the way Chris F,Coombe Barton etc.Didn't spend a lot but chatted too much.Cross Country service was very good too. ;) Met Mrs Finching,ask Mike and didn't see one rhino.

Rob very kindly popped off for a pastie and a  cuppa for me, and himself, while I found some seats and got a couple opposite a lady of advancing years whose husband seemed to be spending his time looking at trains.  When Rob returned I explained to him that he had teh good fortune to be sitting opposite Mrs Finching and perhaps her husband had gone to look for his long lost sisters (more likely his aunts I expect?).

For some reason Rob found this very funny.

Incidentally we did look very hard for white metal rhinos but all we could find were horses, cows or pigs and Rob said he wished to avoid the detailed close-up prototype research and measuring that would be required if he were to attempt some conversion work.  Possibly the gift shop at Whipsnade would be a better place to visit but I doubt if any of us could afford the second mortgage needed to gain entry to the zoo park?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Rob very kindly popped off for a pastie and a  cuppa for me, and himself, while I found some seats and got a couple opposite a lady of advancing years whose husband seemed to be spending his time looking at trains.  When Rob returned I explained to him that he had teh good fortune to be sitting opposite Mrs Finching and perhaps her husband had gone to look for his long lost sisters (more likely his aunts I expect?).

For some reason Rob found this very funny.

Incidentally we did look very hard for white metal rhinos but all we could find were horses, cows or pigs and Rob said he wished to avoid the detailed close-up prototype research and measuring that would be required if he were to attempt some conversion work.  Possibly the gift shop at Whipsnade would be a better place to visit but I doubt if any of us could afford the second mortgage needed to gain entry to the zoo park?

Very good Mike!

• RMweb Gold

These Rhinos are getting everywhere...

TO: Stationmaster, Brent

Dear Sir,

I wish to register in the strongest terms my displeasure at receiving the following livestock from you this evening.

I would have appreciated some advance notice of this transfer, with it's attendant consequences.

My staff have had to expend some considerable effort both in controlling the animal, and also repairing the damage (and removing the residue) which this animal has left in its wake.

I will be making a full report to your divisional superintendant, and I would expect that arrangements are made forthwith to remove this animal from it's current residence in my cattle-dock, and return it to your region.

Yours,

J. W. Bagshaw

(LMS)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64977-bakewell-peak-district-line-br-the-main-station-building/?p=1329703

post-17302-0-62883300-1391372917_thumb.jpg

(Thanks Sierd)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks very much Alastair but currently due to staff shortages there doesn't appear to be a stationmaster at Brent. ;)

Rhinos permitting I'm starting interviews shortly starting with these two candidates for the part of Peter Bounding who was the Brent s/m at 1947.

http://www.dartcastings.co.uk/montys/MSV9.php

http://www.dartcastings.co.uk/montys/MSV8.php

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Thanks very much Alastair but currently due to staff shortages there doesn't appear to be a stationmaster at Brent. ;)

Rhinos permitting I'm starting interviews shortly starting with these two candidates for the part of Peter Bounding who was the Brent s/m at 1947.

http://www.dartcastings.co.uk/montys/MSV9.php

http://www.dartcastings.co.uk/montys/MSV8.php

Is it one of those games where you have to circle six differences between two pictures?

• RMweb Gold

Is it one of those games where you have to circle six differences between two pictures?

The only difference I can see is one is single and the other is double breasted jacket wise.Are there any other castings available I've missed as Mike informs me that the DC castings are not spot on for late GWR period.

http://www.gwr.org.uk/liveriesuniforms.html

Edited by gwrrob