Pencarrow: nothing to see, move along please.

2ManySpams

• RMweb Gold

Very clear Chris.

One slight correction Brunel wasn't idling, ten years before the line to Wenford he was helping his Dad to tunnel under the Thames something that had defeated the Cornish (they could cope with hard rock but not soft mud).

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I dont think you had better bring it any more up to date. It will make a real mess ripping all the track up and spoiling the cottages with in appropriate later additions

Don

Yes, I decided to stop the map sketches at 1899. Interesting that it took 65 years to complete the railway network in the area and a similar period later it was mostly all gone.

• RMweb Premium

Very clear Chris.

One slight correction Brunel wasn't idling, ten years before the line to Wenford he was helping his Dad to tunnel under the Thames something that had defeated the Cornish (they could cope with hard rock but not soft mud).

Don

I suspect the Brunels didn't do much digging themselves. Possibly a lot of pointing, directing and scratching heads. I also suspect the Cornish miners were off colour and not on top form due to a lack of correct fodder (pasties) and drink (mead).

• RMweb Gold

Very clear Chris.

Don

Ah, yes, he had his head stuck in the sand and came out with ideas about a very long vacuum cleaner, oh, and his tape measure had stretched  :onthequiet:

• Like 1

There's an oil drum in the first one.

And a box and pallet - behind a lorry. In the second one the lorry has gone taking the oil drum, pallett and box with it. Together, it appears, with the hut that was beside the line behind the big wonky building in the first picture.

Shouldn't I have better things to do...?!

Keith

edit- the big building on the left has been demolished too. That lorry must have been busy....

Edited by keefr2

• RMweb Premium

So how do the Spam Cans get to Pencarrow ? By reversing at Wadebridge ?

If the LSWR made a left junction between Lan'stan & Wadebridge they could join up with the line between Wadebridge and Boscarne.

Indeed; and if they then turned right for Ruthern Bridge (Rob, I think your sketches show Grogley Junction facing the wrong way) they could follow the extended branch through Withiel, St Wenn and St Columb Major to Halloon - which is how the last portion of the Atlantic Coast Express ended up going to Pentowan instead of Padstow.

post-21039-0-12595200-1421662803_thumb.j

Don't even ask how most of your own creations, as well as Penhayle Bay/Treheligan Junction, Fal Vale and St Breward to name just a few, fit in to all of this.

• RMweb Gold

Indeed; and if they then turned right for Ruthern Bridge (Rob, I think your sketches show Grogley Junction facing the wrong way) they could follow the extended branch through Withiel, St Wenn and St Columb Major to Halloon - which is how the last portion of the Atlantic Coast Express ended up going to Pentowan instead of Padstow.

Don't even ask how most of your own creations, as well as Penhayle Bay/Treheligan Junction, Fal Vale and St Breward to name just a few, fit in to all of this.

Good to see Treamble centre stage :)

• RMweb Premium

If that map had all the fictional modelled lines and stations added to it then there would be no space left for caravans, second homes and celebrity chef over-priced restaurants.

Yes, Ruthernbridge link not quite right although access arrangements off the mainline changed when the Grogley diversion was put in.

A good book for all the "what if" and might have been lines in the area is this one:

post-6675-0-10084800-1495542765_thumb.jpg

Highly recommended read. Thanks again to Paul for sending me his unwanted copy.

• RMweb Gold

If that map had all the fictional modelled lines and stations added to it then there would be no space left for caravans, second homes and celebrity chef over-priced restaurants.

Yes, Ruthernbridge link not quite right although access arrangements off the mainline changed when the Grogley diversion was put in.

A good book for all the "what if" and might have been lines in the area is this one:

attachicon.giftmp_14654-rps20170523_13315979252859.jpg

Highly recommended read. Thanks again to Paul for sending me his unwanted copy.

No, thanks to my uncle who just happened to be working in the print works where they had just printed it.

• RMweb Premium

After the last period of stupidity I'm afraid that it's back to modelling.

The second layer of 15thou strips has been added to the office roof, at 90deg to the other run. Using 2 layers of thin strips enables changes in roof profile, dips and ridges to be easily followed.

post-6675-0-87012700-1495573818_thumb.jpg

And as an added bonus, the brickwork chimney has been formed using SEF brick sheet. The solvent is still setting and the thin plastic soft, so finishing off the joints properly will have to wait. Had fun with the brick spacing and incorporating non-standard brick lengths.

post-6675-0-74718200-1495574085_thumb.jpg

Talking of solvent, what have Slater's done to MekPak? Smells bad, evaporates super fast and doesn't flow very well. Less easy to use. That's my summary of a new bottle bought last week. A new disappointing move is to put only 50ml in the bottle. I'm sure previously the bottles were fuller. Think I'll have to look elsewhere for my fix.

Hi Chris,

Coming on well and looking the part so far.

Now then, as for your solvent problem ( glue not money ! ) I gave up on the MekPak quite some time ago due to the stuff giving me a bad head after use ( even in a well ventilated room).

I've taken to using this stuff for all my plasticard work and very happy with it too.

post-20303-0-52523600-1495575185.jpeg

It's been used on several recent projects including laminating work and to date there haven't been any problems. The other nice bonus is the fine brush which is included in the top.

Hope this is of some use.

ATB

Grahame

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Grahame,

Never really got on with the Tamiya square bottle solvents, I generally have the roof window above the workbench open when there's a serious solvent abuse session underway.

The photo below shows the three most recent bottles I've bought. The left two are empty and were great the new one on the right is not great. The only difference I can see is the new bottle has 50ml marked on the label. New stuff behaves very differently on the brush and on the model.

post-6675-0-08443200-1495576944_thumb.jpg

Think I'll go back to this stuff...

post-6675-0-92085300-1495576979_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Grahame,

Never really got on with the Tamiya square bottle solvents, I generally have the roof window above the workbench open when there's a serious solvent abuse session underway.

The photo below shows the three most recent bottles I've bought. The left two are empty and were great the new one on the right is not great. The only difference I can see is the new bottle has 50ml marked on the label. New stuff behaves very differently on the brush and on the model.

attachicon.giftmp_5819-rps20170523_2254471178813985.jpg

Think I'll go back to this stuff...

attachicon.giftmp_5819-rps20170523_2255201252676267.jpg

I think you will see a difference. I don't believe that MEK PAK has been MEK for a long time. I have a large (150ml Brown square bottle of MEK PAK in the garage that I was recently given by someone who hasn't used it for over 20 years.. It is MEK.

I haven't used MEK PAK for some time and since you demonstrated to me how slow the solvent I was using was I changed to EMA models Plastic Weld.

this product is Methylene Chloride, just about the fastest (most volatile) solvent you can buy. It's non flammable. I don't think it would suit your laminating work, it evaporates too fast. But that chimney would have set.

note: the harmful cross on the MEK PAK but harmful and flammable on the MEK. the solvent MEK is flammable. Those symbols go out of date at the end of the month. a red diamond symbol replaced them in June 2015 and the two year period to switch ends on the 31st May 2017.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Hi

I have this product and it is not pure MEK.  It has something dissolved in it to make it a thick paste.  You use it on pipe weld plastic drainage pipes.  You paste it liberally all around the pipe then insert pipe into the coupling(elbow. T, or straight)  and give it a quarters twist.  

The MSDS sheet simply means that the only classified hazardous material is MEK.

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Hi

I have this product and it is not pure MEK.  It has something dissolved in it to make it a thick paste.  You use it on pipe weld plastic drainage pipes.  You paste it liberally all around the pipe then insert pipe into the coupling(elbow. T, or straight)  and give it a quarters twist.  

Andy

ABS Pipe cleaner is MEK although I got some it doesn't seem to be all that good.

• RMweb Premium

ABS Pipe cleaner is MEK although I got some it doesn't seem to be all that good.

Not good for modelling or for cleaning ABS??

When I worked for Bostik we made most pipe companies pipe weld and the solvent was always Tetrahydrofuran (now called oxolane).  Very strong smell

Andy

Hi

Andy

Thanks Andy

I was suspicious...

Best

Simon

My last two plasticard builds I used thinners. But I now have a litre of mek. So not sure what to use next time.

The whole layout now seems to be getting a sense of setting. The choice of buildings seem to be just right.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good news on the Minerva 8750: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/115316-minerva-gwr-pannier-tank-open-for-advanced-orders/page-7&do=findComment&comment=2733038

Got one on prefer for Pencarrow which will become 4666, a regular in the Bodmin area.

On the plus side, this means that the 1366 is the first and last GWR loco that I have to build!