Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

C&WR

Ah well the temptation to 'nick' so many of your beautiful gems such as the punch and judy is very tempting, but as those little touches are the very reason i love going and seeing your layout i tell my self no....not allowed  :nono:  But I knew the donkeys would be right down your street. Those deck chairs are also lovely but I sit my people on the steps near the beacg huts. I am considering doing a towel and wind break though. and chopping off the feet of some children to stand in the water, how I do the rolled up trousers is anyones business. Vive la difference. And I can still go see yours and smile  :sungum:

Plus when we finally do Blackpool there will be our trams (not powered) and a pier and some of the pleasure beach.....I am wanting a horse drawn hackney carriage or two. I'd love the go karts near Stargate too but our loft cant accommodate everything :(

Edited by Jaz

I'm trying to work out if I can fit either a bit of a crazy golf course or a model yacht pond by the prom/round tower at Wallington now, Jaz.  Will be at home at the weekend, may have to get the layout down to see what would fit...

• Like 1

Oh dear, I fear a sailor is needed   ………….    

how I do the rolled up trousers is anyones business. 

Logic has clearly passed by with your question here    …..    as it is very difficult to roll them any other way than from the bottom upwards   …….    :drag:

Sailors have to roll the trousers quite often, as scrubbing the decks is very important, so photographs should be easily available, to get the idea   …….   it does raise a question in today's modern Navy   …..   now ladies go to sea too   ……...

What do the WRENs roll up   ………    when they are scrubbers cleaning the decks  ………       :O

Seven folds for the seven seas, hence why they don't have creases straight down the front and back, of the Bell Bottoms   ……   however that has no relevance to scrubbing the decks but is how the trousers were folded to get them into miserly locker space   ……     :scratchhead:

For your beach people with trousers rolled, why not cut the legs off, at the knees, on trousered people and glue on the legs you cut off the kids in the sea  ………    :drag:

It's important not to glue the trousered legs back onto the kids, in the sea, as that would look silly with bathers and trousers from the knee down    …..   thought I had better mention that bit    ………….     :declare:

J

I'm trying to work out if I can fit either a bit of a crazy golf course or a model yacht pond by the prom/round tower at Wallington now, Jaz.  Will be at home at the weekend, may have to get the layout down to see what would fit...

Cool idea I have 1:87 golfers but they are all posh looking. To be added on some empty landscape.

You could make the crazy holes too. I think both ideas would be marvellous, look forward to you having time at your new home to work on this. Well thought out idea. 

• Like 1

Aunt Peggy from Heatbeat stayed at 'Davids' house which is Greengrass', did she have a separate house as well in Heartbeat? i must admit to being a bit sketchy on the later Heartbeats. 

Oooops my mistake. I haven't seen a lot of the Heartbeat series as they have only played a few episodes over here. I did a bit of digging and you are correct she does live with David in Greengrass' house.  One less house to buy :)

Edited by thebritfarmer

Silky_Jack has probably gone on holiday......but if he looks in.........

Ian I hope your in a good mood......... I suppose as you are holidaying in Goathland that you plan to go up and down the railway line? If you do happen to go to Levisham station, take some snaps of the station around the back etc. I think we have a cunning plan.............

When you look at the buildings, imagine the original Hornby Station with a little add on wood front porch, the signalbox? Oh it's the same as Goathlands!! We bought all the NER new Hornby buildings, quess where some of them fit? Our old Loft could squeeze in a little second NYM station,  :sungum: . 

Plus for Julian they do WW2 re enactments.......brain is bursting with ideas....think i need a lie down......Grosment / Pickering ....oh Kal just said has anyone made the blue pickering buildings?

(people are not seeinf double I posted this on Lofty Heights too)

Further to the which 'Goathland building' to use posts, IF we did another NYM station, e.g. Levisham the other buildings would have a home.  :sungum:

Here quickly two more of the Hornby resins models.

med_gallery_17883_2781_1234153.jpg0336

med_gallery_17883_2781_850609.jpg0337

med_gallery_17883_2781_1324826.jpg0338

med_gallery_17883_2781_1511546.jpg0339

med_gallery_17883_2781_1790492.jpg0340

med_gallery_17883_2781_1490177.jpg0341

med_gallery_17883_2781_784651.jpg0342

med_gallery_17883_2781_276321.jpg0343

med_gallery_17883_2781_554636.jpg0344

• RMweb Gold

There really is a marked difference in the scale of nearly all the buildings you've posted. I wonder if the smaller ones are actually HO - or if that is giving to much credence to Hornby, and in fact they're just rubbish at consistency?

Given those differences, it's difficult to recommend using one over the other,as it seems the choice is limited to "use the big ones" or "use the little ones" irrespective of their individual merits in terms of detail.

I don't envy you the decision process...

Good Luck!

Al

acg_mr, 

agreed, so we googled and printed Goathland and got out the scale rules, the length of the main station is a constant so can be used as point zero. So we could work out whic hwas the best size, if not the most prototypical. However if we do Levisham as well our reasoning is more complicated. I had best go print off Levisham....we need more printing toner.......

Edited by Jaz

A last view of the old layout, a lot of this is now in smaller bits, Goathland luckily must have been drawn to scale and the main station part has survived and is now turned 180%

But meantime a fond farewell.

0412 Goathland scenery loses it's river to allow the turn around

med_gallery_17883_2793_393319.jpg

0413 Heartbeat emptied

med_gallery_17883_2793_1110068.jpg

0414 Heartbeat viewed from the old ford

med_gallery_17883_2793_515933.jpg

0415 in the distance the river removed, and the nearby river ready to follow

med_gallery_17883_2793_1341661.jpg

0416 Goathland prior to the 180% 

med_gallery_17883_2793_2669.jpg

0417 Leaving Goathland and the MTD also to be rehoused elsewhere.

med_gallery_17883_2793_1587841.jpg

The new Goathland will now taken  a correctly proportioned 1000 feet at 4mm to the foot space (i.e. 4metres long)from the station end off to the distant railway bridge and road bridge. The points will stop it being completely correct, and the centre tracks have to be wider than a prototypical / real life width. Otherwise the area has been measured and re measured.

We have used Sasquatch's 'Goathland Layout', and Silky_Jack's 'The Lofty Heights' both here and on our old forum as he has a lot of useful photos etc, and CGraham's 'The HP Railway' (HP=Harry Potter) with it's fantastic Hogwarts Model. Although are other sources these are the ones we referrred to the most. 

Once again the idea is that our Goathland be done as a Heritage, but can also be 'dressed' to reflect the filming that occurs there - specifically Harry Potter.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 2

<p>No neither silky or dt let the cat out of the bag, if you had not replied to my pm I would still be none the wise, am very happy to see your layout</p>

<p> </p>

<p>edit= I thought you meant mine as in my layout doh!!!</p>

Edited by Jaz

I have been and looked at silkys, you are being too obscure, I don't get the reference, unless it is connected to the e-mail you sent me...but that won't help cos the one you sent to silky and i asked for a copy of you forgot to add the attachment....i just didn't chase it. Been so busy redoing our tables and ensuring son gets up at 5.45am for work I think I am just too tired to get nuances at the moment, you need to explain in one sylable at a time  until my brain adapts to the early mornings or Kal finishes his 3 week holiday, although yesterday we finally agreed the table layout which makes life a lot easier.

Prototypical layouts take up a LOT more room. A number of resin buildings will have to leave the layout and go back into boxes. Even squeezing in the essentials has caused us to wriggle all the tracks numerous times until we have room for Sheffield Park and Goathland and have a smooth run and can fit in a scenic break so photos will not have both stations glaringly obvious in each others pictures. However I think we have broke the back.

LHS Table 1 PC and track at back

LHS Table 2 Sheffield Park as per picture on post 444, chalked out on a board, is now definite,

LHS Table 3 The MTD which we had considered turning into a National Heritage Steam will likely have to re locate, it is being squeezed at both ends

LHS Table 4 remains Goathland BUT a whole new Goathland, the old board has been abandoned, a new board has a large graph on it and a birds eye of Goathland station has been graphed out and exact measurements correlated. However this still has to take into consideration the width of the tracks which are Peco 75 and the points which are also Peco 75, but overall measurements apart from the real track width start from a point zero by the signal box and spread out. Lengthwise the footage is now just about spot on, and widthwise and cutting through the tracks once you hit the platforms the footage is as spot on as the depth of the Hornby resin buildings allow. Contours will be addressed over the next day or two. 

Then all four tables will be lined up allowing a smooth  but shallow D shaped track, i.e. tracks 1,2,3,4, at the back, will be the upright straights, which will on occasion be visible and at other be hidden. With a large curving belly of the D through Goathland and then on to Sheffield Park. We are just checking the final run through. Then track will be added onto a 9mm board and all the electrics etc put in place, boards will now be made so that sections can be lifted off for maintenance. The scenic items will go on insulation boards that are supported by more 9mm boards, and nearly if not all of these will also be removable if there is a need. This will mean scenic areas can be done on a workbench then dropped into position.

Anything left will then become a green scenic area, probably filled with various little cameos of real scenic items. 

Each cameo will represent a real life 'bubble' which can be photographed and copied onto the layout where it can be photographed and model and real life compared. 

I'll try to add a picture or two but there's no green fluff left. We have 4 work days and the weekend to try to get the tracks back and working. Wish us luck.

Hi Both,

Yes, you are quite right, it is about the article.

I don't get the reference, unless it is connected to the e-mail you sent me...but that won't help cos the one you sent to silky and i asked for a copy of you forgot to add the attachment....i just didn't chase it

My sincere apologies, I wasn't aware I had failed to add in the attachment article.  :dontknow:  ... I have sent you a copy this morning....  :scratchhead:

NB. For other viewer's information, there is an article in RMweb - Modelling Inspiration, issue 3  - several can be found here -

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/212-modelling-inspiration/

There is much about GWR but there is so much other real interest which lies around the Locos, in the build skills shown  .........   :toclue:

J

Hi Both,

Even squeezing in the essentials has caused us to wriggle all the tracks numerous times until we have room for Sheffield Park and Goathland and have a smooth run and can fit in a scenic break so photos will not have both stations glaringly obvious in each others pictures. However I think we have broke the back.  ...........................

That is some task you have set there but it sounds like a real improvement  ...........  I really enjoy watching the skills you two display - despite the teasing, about the Mine hole left in the layout, where the river came out  .....   :nono:

J

J

Ah THAT hole....well tis not a mine....it's was severe subsidence (or aliens...the river almost intact has appeared and is residing in the old loft looking bewildered),

but the builders (Kal and I)have been in and it is now rectified.....subsidence has occurred everywhere......

we are starting the cutting of  the new Goathland boards (there will be at least 8 which allow for tracks, platforms, buildings, river, hillside, 

We will concentrate on the two main through tracks so we can connect the complete loop if we are lucky by the end of the 4+2 days, so dt is counting down Kal going back to work and his desire to have a working track again, 

Once Kal is working I will run in and rebuild Goathland. The advantages will be I can work far faster than previously because our research means pretty much what I plan to do and the cameos I need to fit in. however there will be new techniques because all boards barring the main tracks must be removable. 

All I can say is there is a lot of 9mm board, there is a lot of insulation board, there is a lot of green scenic items, all the Goathland paraphernalia to go back, and there is me. The initial boards and greenery and roads and buildings will be placed early then tweaking for prototypicality (hehe love that word) will continue more leisurely. I.E. Exact trees, exact placement of lights, lighting of elements blah blah blah. 

see next post people will never read all this.....

J

Ah THAT hole....well tis not a mine....it's was severe subsidence (or aliens...the river almost intact has appeared and is residing in the old loft looking bewildered),

but the builders (Kal and I)have been in and it is now rectified.....subsidence has occurred everywhere......

we are starting the cutting of  the new Goathland boards (there will be at least 8 which allow for tracks, platforms, buildings, river, hillside, 

We will concentrate on the two main through tracks so we can connect the complete loop if we are lucky by the end of the 4+2 days, so dt is counting down Kal going back to work and his desire to have a working track again, 

Once Kal is working I will run in and rebuild Goathland. The advantages will be I can work far faster than previously because our research means pretty much what I plan to do and the cameos I need to fit in. however there will be new techniques because all boards barring the main tracks must be removable. 

All I can say is there is a lot of 9mm board, there is a lot of insulation board, there is a lot of green scenic items, all the Goathland paraphernalia to go back, and there is me. The initial boards and greenery and roads and buildings will be placed early then tweaking for prototypicality (hehe love that word) will continue more leisurely. I.E. Exact trees, exact placement of lights, lighting of elements blah blah blah. 

see next post people will never read all this.....

I read all that and I am flummoxed :) I thought I was bad for ripping things up and out ;)

Hi Both,

All I can say is there is a lot of 9mm board, there is a lot of insulation board, there is a lot of green scenic items,

Given Kal is of Military inclination and has limited time, now is not a good time for you to stand still for any length of time, or you might get a coat of Green paint, or [worse] become nailed down as a permanent part of the scenery  .....    :nono:

J