Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

I came to read the comments, as you do, and realised I had forgotten this one

med_gallery_17883_2878_603785.jpgimg1090

the top needs sorting, but you can see where we are going

edit= change red to read

You could pass this off as the real thing. This is absolutely brilliant :)

• RMweb Gold

Wow, that's awesome. I agree with everybody else, you seriously have to work at it, to spot anything which gives away that that's a model.

Brilliant!

Al.

Jaz,

I looked at it and was going to say, 'Ho, ho ho, there is a bit that doesn't reach the road.'  Then I looked again, and again and realised it was not the REAL wall!. That is excellent, well done.

Very impressed with the wall, Jaz.  Some lovely effects there.

We've just had the builders in & unless The Long Haired Controller has chucked it they left some of that silver-covered brittle polystyrene (or whatever it is) insulation stuff lying about.  I may save the offcuts for future work.

Thanks to all

for the comments for an off the cuff quick attempt it has worked out well. Paying attention to so many others ideas helps.  :read:

C&WR

With a little practise the insulation is quite rewarding, sanding it with a cheap block can get a smooth finish (beware the dust as mentioned especially around the little controller) I tend to dig the stanley knife (sharp blade not necessary for this job)  in and trail it allowing it to bend to the left and right gently. Very straight lines rarely come out looking real.So the knife digs in an out and swings left and right. To achieve this I mark the lines with a ruler BUT cut free hand. Will be pleased for someone else to have a go....your sure to throw back good ideas  :sungum: I add lashings of colour to sink in then add the other stuff whilst still wet so instead of just 3 colours there are multiple shades. Then if unhappy about a join I dot some of the green mood from model mates and add some copydex then dust on some fine turf colouring.In my opinion allowing the colours to bleed for a job like this is a good way forward. (Shall look forward to seeing your take on it) 

We are planning to use the stuff in our loft for insulation, so we too can benefit from the off cuts!!!

Am expanding the wall and so far I think its coming ok. Photos will follow when there some more than just the same as above. Need to work on the water feature that abuts the wall as well. The lower level seems to be a nice shiny water surface above the small waterfall / weir there is more stones etc. This is going to be fun as I adore messing with 'water'.  :sungum:

Sasquatch

We know your busy at the moment, but that lovely new home of yours needs a good make over to see you through to your twilight years, getting it out of the way now will not only ensure you are in Mrs Sasquatch's good books (in a big way from what we have seen) plus you then have a lovely place to pop back up your inspirational Goathland and indeed work on new stuff at your leisure.

Shall await the home make over (have you considered filming that? Very popular home makeovers) and then your return. Have to say for a man who almost lost a hand its not just your work that is inspirational you are too. Clearly with the help of Mrs Sasquatch you two will do well in the wild woods  :sungum:

hornbyandb3fan

All you need is confidence to try new things, I see your modelling is coming along well. I saw the crane. Keep up the modelling and you will find that almost any scrap goods have potential. 

Old foam from say a pillow / sofa being thrown out can be coloured various green colours and be useful for foliage

The ends of paint pots used by the parents for decorating are also good for scenery, by mixing seemingly useless colours with strong little paint pot samples or acrylic paints.

Newspaper and flour and water can be used as papermache to make some scenic rolling ground.

Although we can afford to buy stuff,and do, I never ignore potential

Even an old makeup powder can be used for weathering (with your mums permission or you could be in real trouble!)

Always refer to a real picture and never forget the most important colour is actually black, as smoke, as weather, as shadows, when making a tree or bushes paint the middle black and then colour the outside as required, it makes the effect much better. Talking of which if you see the snow coloured trees by Bachmann reduced to 5£, but them dip them in a pot of thin black paint let it dry and then dip in a pot of green paint let it dry then add a little glue with a paint brush and add some mixed teen turf.......

Edited by Jaz

• RMweb Gold

Now I have a length of wall am working on the water

2869567075_42678f37d8_z.jpgFinn Culen Flickr

6611352043_01cedfd1aa_o.jpgNettles Flickr

2288389409_d7fcda8be4_z.jpgGary Cunnigham Flickr

My Favourite

2537592250_539e85b211_z.jpgDaveXwillson Flickr

Misread that, I thought you said you were walking on water that would have been craftsmanship/clever. :angel:

Edited by westerhamstation

Westerhamstation

You'll get me in trouble you will. :nono: 

I'm always trying to give my husband the idea I'm perfect (it hasn't worked to date mind you) then you go round telling people I walk on water and before you know it someone will set up camp and start a new religion. How will I manage to get any work done surrounded by worshipers!!!!!!    :angel:       :sarcastichand:

Back to the real world.

Water feature

the wall will need to be cut at the back of the PIR foam to slot it against and under the mdf and against the PIR foam used for the carpark level

med_gallery_17883_2878_139359.jpgrmweb37waterA

this is a side view

med_gallery_17883_2878_249040.jpgrmweb38waterb

I started with black paint especial below the wall where you would expect a shadow,

added some blue for the sky

added some brown (wood colouring) for the murky mud churned up

added some varnish to make it shiney

added some green fluff for the 'pond life' etc in the water

tried adding some white with a cocktail stick to represent some white foam

add more brown

added another layer of varnish encasing the green and some of the paint

left it to dry so I can dump the wall on it and go for some reflections

The other side can be popped down in its eventual home by the river for a trial run when the varnish dries. I'll need to manufacture more trees, add some birds, perhaps a dog, 

There will be a 25mm layer of PIR used for the next water level up, as you see the stone wall over which the water falls I will need to imitate this in the same manner as the wall, making it look wetter. Then start building up the water fall.

This will be fun. How realistic it will look, how prototypical no idea, but fun.....oh yes.  :sungum:

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 3

But, but, but  .......................

you were walking on water that would have been craftsmanship/clever. :angel:

One Summer Ball, many years ago, I watched while a Group Captain suckered his Wing Commander Admin into trying to walk on the water, in the Lily Pond at the front of the Mess.

It was sooo simple ......   and sooo inevitable a result  ....  The Groupie led the conversation to abilities of leaders at various ranks  ......  ranks like my own were, accurately, dismissed with being barely able to flick Smarties off the top of Ice Cream Sundaes  .....   capabilities of higher ranks were then introduced and the Wing Co invited to declare those at his level  .......   trap set   ............    :O

.........   the Gp Capt readily agreed to the skills the Wing Co claimed for himself    .....   then declared that the Wing Co wasn't ready for promotion until he could walk on water   .......

............    Pause  ...   for the Wing Co to respond with a challenge for the Gp Capt to demonstrate   ........    [note the self satisfied smirk on the Wing Co's face]  .....  after all the pond was sooo conveniently close  .....

.............    the Gp Capt walked across to the pond and with a suitable pause, then, proceeded to slowly place a foot onto the surface of the water  ...   followed by the next and so on until reaching the other side  ..... :no:  :no:   ....  yes he did - just like that   .....   :angel:

By now he had the attention of all present, so quietly delivered the coup de grace   ....   inviting the Wing Co to demonstrate his potential for promotion to Gp Capt   ..............    :O  :O :o .......... 

.............   indeed he didn't just invite him, but took him gently by the elbow to the edge of the pond  ....   and with a sweep of the hand across said liquid  .....    made the challenge too much to resist   ...

.............  so with almost every officer present, the Wing Co took his first walk on the water  ..........    Well, not quite  ...   just another step into deep water, beyond his Mess Dress trousered knees  ........

The Gp Capt was a very kindly gentleman, so having delivered the first lesson about what was required to achieve his rank, then delivered the second, rather more important, lesson  .........

.............  he took the Wing Co gently by the elbow again to assist him out of the pond, but didn't stop there  ....   he led him further round the pond-side to show him where the Techs had lowered a bench into the pond, so they could reach the little island in the centre and place a couple of spotlights   ....  it had been made to be 1/4 inch below the surface and left there so the lights could be recovered in the morning  .......   

[and the second lesson?  .........    certainly not about being polite and helpful to one's junior officers, that is expected of the best of leaders   ................    more something about checking the facts before making extravagant claims  ......     ]  ..  :toclue:

J

Edited by jcredfer

Sort of like this, it's not Goathland

IMG_20120729_124703.jpg

nor is this butter they are beautiful

Current2009-002-770.jpg

Back to Goathland, I'm still working on the sheen (mostly because I want the wall and trees to be reflected) . and now i need the waterfall.

4f8_7950_2125630.jpeg

acg_mr

and you got my reflection!!! Excellent reference material many thanks  :sungum:

Any chance when you have time and a half sunny day to grab one in the other direction, small waterfalls

I have been considering should I set a single sweet spot and paint in the shadows, but it would so limit the photo opportunities, will wait until I have it finished then decide.

I do like the drop some grit and see through brown, so many people do it really nicely, but that is usually shallow water and I get the impression Goathland is a little (if not much) deeper. I plan to play with water running over rocks when I go up the waterfall step, I think it actually happens after it goes under the railway bridge but there is so few pictures that I think water racing over stones will look so nice no one will fuss.

I still have the option to put acrylic on top, that was the plan.

Edited by Jaz