Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Hi Jaz & Kal, Happy New Year to you both.  The landscaping is looking ace.  I am really enjoying the progress.....dedication that you were even posting on 25th December!  

Just one question re your post 1414 (page 57) - how did you make the little girder bridge?  

• Like 1

Hi

Strangest one I had was travelling from Peterborough to Kings Cross on GNER, when they train came to a stop between stations. We sat for about five minutes and then the Guard announced that we had somehow missed our last station and the driver was waiting for instructions on whether he should return to that station or continue on :scared:

After some time we carried on to Kings Cross, but I had visions of travelling backwards up the wrong track.

Edited by Kal

HI Ian 

Happy New Year, glad to see you back.

The Bridge is just standard Peco sides and I cut some old sprues off (I think) the Ratio Girder panels and super glued them into the slot on the sides. As I say Jaz saves everything, even Sprues. :)

Edited by Kal
  • Like 1

Hi Ian

It is not about accuracy per say....I think Sasquatch has that in spades,In the spades. We want to see how good we can get it considering our constraints,. We benefit from the fact we had one go at it. We obviously have a much bigger space as well, which gives us more options. We will be jet as interested to see how you do yours, it's not a competition, without your reference material in the first place we would never had seen there was so much detail you can refer to.

We have pretty much decided to do Sheffield Park as you are doing Goathlnad, i.e. concentrating on the station. This level of 'accuracy' is very time consuming. But it has taught us some useful lessons that we can use on generic areas afterwards.

without you, and

dt....avoid flat earth society.....

Julian......insulation board....

C&WG......making it from scratch.....etc etc........

oooh and not forgetting..........Richard Johnson......your grass is dayglo green!!!!! (or words to that effect) :jester:

We would not have improved.

The nice thing about this hobby is sharing ideas.

lovely to see you on. hope you had a good break with the family.

As Kal says the bridge was his idea and his handiwork.He said how to...I looked blank...he rolled his eyes and went and did it for himself.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 3

Marcus37

Thak you for the comments about the modelling. :sungum:

I didn't realise you were a real life driver!!! I will need to go back and think of a whole host of questions, that you might be able to answer.

Blue chequered flag it is.

1. I hope you weren't responsible for the time my train came into Victoria station and jumped the end of the track!!!! I was in the second carriage, which was lucky as when we were allowed to get out, feel slightly shaken I notice some poor woman being taken off by paramedics on a trolley in a neck brace....they were advising her it was only precautionary.

2. Or the time we came to a grinding halt on the way into London (I forget which station) because as it turned out another train was on the same track heading towards us!!!! Lord knows how it happened, we were sat for over 15 minutes waiting until we slowly moved forward, the other train was no where to be seen (I had got bored looking through window and sat down) so I assume it had had to back up a ways.

No don't worry it wasn't me!! Any questions you ever want answered feel free to ask. Although I used to drive passenger I'm on the freight side now. Driving for the company that likes its class 20's. but not DRS.

Cheers

Marcus

Marcus37

flagman.jpgIs this correct?

Yep, that's the one!!

More terraforming

Improving the road behind Goathland Station,

originalyl I just did a road with a camber...as per my first experiment

med_gallery_17883_3001_644315.jpgrmweb467terraforming14

then I realised it had a cobbled kerb edging, and as it had been pointed out that my road was a little too wide,

I devised a way to deal with both issues, on the right hand side i just used a hacksaw blade to cut a thin strip,and hack out a little of the grass behind the kerb, I then cut the individual stones, and added some PVA to stop the small parts departing from the layout. There was some grass but I just ignored it....scrapping PIR is probably not a good idea.

med_gallery_17883_3001_493362.jpgrmweb468terraforming15

I then painted the new kerb stone, recoloured the bare PIR an earth colour, added some suitable colouring material, tidied the road a little bit. The grass on the reside is not too obvious and you get grass on the kerb side anyways. The grey was a little mottled at point I took picture because it was wet where I touched up the road surface.

med_gallery_17883_3001_105688.jpgrmweb469terraforming

This still needs aother paint or two, but you can see the improvement. Some static grass will be added, but it is not worth gaffing about with this small bit, and I will sort it when I am doing something beige elsewhere.

• Like 4

Thanks Kal...will do the same when building my bridge.  My Goathland isn't going to be a patch on yours in terms of scale and accuracy. 

HI

No reason it should, and in truth ours has lots of discrepancies, because we do not have architect drawings, we are using PECO track and at the end of the day with all the room we have there are limits on size and also operational wants and needs.

Also the buildings are plonk and play, so until we replace them with something else , it is what it is.

It has been a challenge and enjoyable, but if we wanted absolute accuracy, we would have to give up much more space.

The art and the fun is building something you are happy with that fits your space, resources and playability. Every version is an art form in it's own right.  Look at Clay's layout, I envy many things, not least his Hogwarts, but it is never gonna work on my layout even if I had that skill, which I don't. Look at Saquatches Viaduct, abbey , landscaping and village, absolute dream of a layout and another I look to for inspiration, but again it is not my layout.

We also took a lot of inspiration from what you are doing, and without seeing some of your ideas we would not have decided to start again.

I hope to see your progress, when you have time, because we learnt a lot from it and.... just from talking with like minded people.

Edited by Kal

LHSide of the tunnel mouth

For the earth/ stone colouring under the turf i use 3 colours, this is a pale pinky beige called Tiramusu, a chocolaty brown and black. I always recommend the 3 empty kitchen sprayers, but I paint mine...I find it very relaxing. And I can darken the areas where the gouges in the ground  PIR are.

Then a watered PVA, followed by the fluffy stuff.

I like to ensure I have plenty of materials, I always go for an army camouflage colouring, i.e. minimum 3 turf colours over one base colour (cheap mix at the moment bought at discounts all mixed in one large bag, using up icky coloured greens etc and I add a little black and a little brown to tone it down. As its a base colour and mostly gets covered, this really is not too particular on colour.

On top of that I use three tones one medium, one dark, and one burnt (I avoid light green on the 'top coat'

A little earth showing through is fine.....as I still need to add static grass, bushes, trees etc.

med_gallery_17883_3001_549753.jpgrmweb47terraforming22

The gouged out areas are intended to represent stone.so no or little grass.

med_gallery_17883_3001_28525.jpgrmweb470terraforming17

RHSide before similar treatment

med_gallery_17883_3001_693734.jpgrmweb477terraforming24

med_gallery_17883_3001_551740.jpgrmweb478terraforming25

And the pair for comparison, the piece on the left is on its 25mm base, the rhside is still to go on its 25mm base which is in situ.measures will be taken to make them look ok, once they ar dry and both in situ. Behind them is the tunnel that they both abut. 

med_gallery_17883_3001_468974.jpgrmweb479terraforming26

Oh on flat areas I slap the PVA evenly, on the slopes I let the pva dribble away from the edges and colour those areas, then decide whether to fill the gaps or not

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 4

ess1uk

Thank you very much, I'll update at least the controllers and lookouts hats, and although a red flag would be easier to paint i'll see if I can find a checkered flag as I suppose it would b used more often - stopping a train I would have thought would be a rare one. Thank you very much for the update. It is nicer to have them coloured correctly.

no worries.

if i can keep up with your thread i'll help where i can

no worries.

if i can keep up with your thread i'll help where i can

Thank-you, it is always a help to have thing pointed out from people who know the real world railways. Apart from stumbling our way through and from what I pick up in Books,Mags and t'internet, and traveling to that there London, we know nothing about how the real railway works.

We are always grateful when some one can keep us honest.

Edited by Kal

Marcus37

flagman.jpgIs this correct?

Good to know the real answer    .............................     I thought it might be a Tottenham supporter    ..................................................................     good job I am not a Driver  ...    :O

Good to know the real answer    .............................     I thought it might be a Tottenham supporter    ..................................................................     good job I am not a Driver  ...    :O

You could always ask Mini Driver?

Aaaahhhh    .................   yes  ...........................................   as a Mum yourself  -  I'm sure you will know this can instil so much fear   ...........................

.................................      Mum's Unbridled Passion ..................     :triniti:

PS:- totally unbridled    .......................................    :butcher:

My dad used to let me steer from the passengers seat from about the age of 10 :angel:.....................,no no you misunderstood me officer  :jester:

And we had boys....so we shared....and your right had i had a girl it would have been cooking, shopping, and drawing most of the day (I can see Kal will consider that fighting talk :jester: )

Aaahh   ................................................................   That's where it went  .............................

I hoover parts of the loft very regularly............sometimes several times a day.

Oooh Mrs    .....................................    Would those be the Parts that other's cannot reach  ................     :O

Are you sure your not bored yet???

Terraforming,

The big house, whether it will be this house is not yet decided, but for now it works,and a level change, I don't smooth the finish to much

med_gallery_17883_3001_188448.jpgrmweb465terraforming12

In the centre where the 3 fir trees are, is a bit that is not really garden nor large enough for a wood, but often in villages you get little hillocks, and this is flat, so as a midway to where the house is against where the road leads off to the bridge 

med_gallery_17883_3001_69148.jpgrmweb466terrfroming13

At this angle it is hard to see, but I took a scrap of PIR shaped it,painted it, added some green, theres some PVA for the next bit

med_gallery_17883_3001_567788.jpgrmweb471terrafroming18

and the next bit done.

N.B. I hate stopping at cutoffs, because somehow once they dry they look exactly like that a cut off, I like to get the other side and bridge them so that thy do not stand out like a sore thumb

med_gallery_17883_3001_381381.jpgrmweb472terraforming19

I had stuck two cuts offs of copper wiring to hold it in place over some PVA, it was a little loose so I popped the trees in to secure it until dry, hopefully I can remove the trees if required....as I need to do the scenery behind!!!

I added some small bushes as a quick fix for the layers not sitting perfectly flat, you can see a similar problem in the background awaiting some treatment.

med_gallery_17883_3001_347.jpgrmweb473terraforming20

I went up the garden matching the base layer and the 3 turf layers, once the area behind is bought unto snuff static grass will be added, but I am not doing it when I know I will be leaning all over it,

When leaning over I often lay newspaper of plastic sheet to protect the area, otherwise my clothes come way covered in a multitude of fluff.

You may notice a paler rectangle, this will be for the concrete floor in the building that is due to sit here

med_gallery_17883_3001_24205.jpgrmweb474terraforming21

An angle to show off the addition terraforming, and vehicles to help show the scale

med_gallery_17883_3001_472247.jpgrmweb476terraforming23

I know this seems a lot of stuff, but I put it on in thin layers and gaps, and it is my belief that the thin layers  overlaid is what help make it look more realistic.

And not forgetting there is no static grass yet, nor is there hedges,and if the overall colour is too pale a touch of watered down wood dye possibly mixed with a little black, this is best added by syringe and allowed to seep across the ground. Do not paint this on the green or grass, or at least test a small patch to avoid wanting to bash your head against the wall  :banghead:

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 5

While Jaz was doing all that, I finished off wiring the Goathland section. 3 point motors to go in and that is the main tracks operational. The sidings will come later but it now means, I have a complete set of routes to all stations with detection and added to Train controller.

Now I can start to play with schedules and realistic, stop and start characteristics.

Edited by Kal

While Jaz was doing all that, I finished off wiring the Goathland section. 3 point motors to go in and that is the main tracks operational. The sidings will come later but it now means, I have a complete set of routes to all stations with detection and added to Train controller.

Now I can start to play with schedules and realistic, stop and start characteristics.

Hi Kal.

Q: Would you be comfortable running such a layout with steam-locos, especially 0-6-0s... ? Given that diesels are so much better runners, and have less purely decorative moving parts.

When I asked you about E-link, I'd forgotten the free DVD regarding Hornby e-link I received with BRM. I'm becoming curious.

Tony.

Edited by Brass0four
  • Like 1