Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

J

I looked up the wax, but cannot find a good tutorial on how to use it.or even how to mix it. It looks interesting, but does not appear to be available at a reasonable cost in the UK either. The company you mention wants well over the odds against the U.S. price. I think I'll leave it on the back burner for the moment.

Which is a shame as it is clear you got excellent results with it, but I have no time at the moment to deal with the learning curve. 

I will try Ronseal bog standard silk, which I can buy cheaply the next time I go into town.

I have another question (although any other thoughts on glue will still be of interest)

Lots of my small figures are way too shiny.

I know I need to get some satin finish to dull them down, hopefully making them look much more realistic,

and Kal says one of  our 'how to' videos says using plain varnish (satin or matt?) is as good as anything.

Anyway I am just about to skip trough the videos to find the one in question.

I just wondered what other people use?

I use Games Workshop purity seal.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1491327&prodId=prod1620041

A can lasts ages.

Stuart

Hi Both,

I agree about the price of those pots of Matting Wax.

The stuff I had was for Enamel paints and came in a tube. It had the consistency of toothpaste and was translucent pale grey in colour. The colour didn't affect the paints it was mixed with.

I looked at Google specifically for individual manufacturers.
This shows the Tamiya X21 matting agent for Acrylic Paint, which looks very similar to the tube of Matting Agent I used to use.

I also found this in Phoenix Paints, which is for Enamels  ...

http://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/precision-paints/sundry-items/pq14-matting-agent.html

This has proportions to be used at the bottom of the page

Hi

Yep the Phoenix tin is the one we saw on one of the right track videos. Apparently according to the Right Track video, it is just talc in a solution of something, but not sure what other than it cannot be water as it is insoluble in water

Edited by Kal

I blacked out the tunnel, so I can put the tunnel entrance against it tomorrow for picture.

I varnished anything in sight, parts of the river behind Goathland, the weir, and the new river/waterfall in heartbeat, as the tin is now so low it is drying out. Again pictures tomorrow.

I reworked the Volvo A40D, because matching the yellowing clay on the reference picture, is a bit strange when I don't have any yellow clay to place it on, grey ballast is however all over the place. Pictures tonite or tomorrow as the mood takes me.

The road on the slope near Goathlnad station is far to wide, and needs the edging stones, so on one side I have carved the road to add the kern, and then as the bits are small and likely to disappear I have coated it in PVA, tomorrow when its dry, I'll finish the side, repainting the earth and re grassing, and ifI think it looks good,do the other side...drawing it across to make the road the right width, this will also stop it from having to steep a slope by the side of the road, especially as I need to add a space for the bench.

Am mooching around for something to do / paint......or maybe another tree.

Poor Kal ........................................

I varnished anything in sight,

Ooh ..  err  .............     :nono:   .....................    surely not  .....................................................  everything     .......  :acute:

• RMweb Gold

Jaz,

I try and use matt or satin paints but the times I have to use gloss I use humbrol satin varnish.

The black wash at the end is supposed to bring out the relief.  Jim (Aberdare) uses a black wash to start with and then goes from there.  He method is on the 4mm Edwardian Figures thread. 

There is another method just below his and I copied Northern Maiden's technique there as well.

Edited by ChrisN

dt

I have heard that before that a blackish not only can lower the gloss finish but help define the shadows. I think this is one to definitely go with whatever the finish I choose. Thankyou.

Edited by Jaz

Hi

HEALTH WARNING!!!!

At the risk of teaching granny to suck eggs, I came across a fact I did not know about Super Glue's i.e CA's

It can have a severe exothermic reaction with cotton, i.e burst into flames, so never wear cotton clothes or use cotton swabs or cotton buds when using super glues.

Well... I tried various amounts of cotton wool and superglue, but I couldn't get it to do anything. It maybe is was a poor superglue, b&q own brand, and far from scientific methods, but seems not as big a problem as I thought it sounded from the warnings.

Seems you were right J

artizen

Thank you very much really interesting product, I usually spend ages hand painting so that would ave me absolutely ages.

I just looked at the video, I know he had cardboard on the floor....but I would be scared to copy him inside the house!!!! BUT that stuff looks fantastic, very fast and 3 tones. So far I can't better £17.99 per 250ml, do you knew if I can buy it cheaper???

As far as I know from experience here locally, the varnish wash is expensive but you use it sparingly and it will go a long way. The wargamers swear by it and they paint armies in the hundreds of figures at a time. There are three strengths according to the result you need but a double dip might also do that. The stuff is basically varnish with a black ink or wash added at the factory. No doubt worth trying to make your own soup and trying it out. 

I have found out why I can§t use punctuation = my Mac is using a Czech keyboard... time to restart after the power went out earlier i feel.

:no:

Jaz hates the idea of anything being wasted on the floor, she tries to catch the overshoot from an aerosol can, so she can re use it   :jester:

No doubt she will come up with a way that she can catch the wash that is shaken off  :blum:

Edited by Kal

Sorry, don't like it. It does not look natural, dirt does not streak in chunks like that, and gravity makes it wash down, not up or sideways.

Tyres look like they have been parked on yellow lines before they were dry.

Overall it looks like a kids toy left out in the dirt

I take your point, but monsters like this maraud through quarries, plunging through lakes of mud one minute, then kicking up dust the next. Also, explosively indelicate loading and unloading can alter gravitational mud-slithering, etc., so they aren't average vehicles weathering-wise. I agree about the wheels, though - a sandy colour might be better. Otherwise, a damn sight better than out the box, easily progressed further.

Talc, blown over wet washes can give a matt, dry effect.

Tony.

EDIT. Way behind due to domestic cosh. Posted as I read but I see you mention talc, later. It's very good for when roads, etc, need matting.

Edited by Brass0four

Hi

Thanks Tony

No worries, the thread is quite eclectic anyway, and it never hurts to repeat something, as it may add another dimension or make something easier to find later.

Real life must always take precedence, I hope everything is OK.

Road talc seems a good idea too, Jaz just bought some textured Tamiya road paint so it will be interesting to see how that works.

Not posting too much today ourselves, we are fighting it out with landscape and adding some insulation to the old loft i between.

Edited by Kal

Hi Both,

Eeasy - Peezey, Lemon Squeezy    ......................................   solve 2 problems  ...........  maybe 3  ..............................      with one idea   ........................     :boast:

No doubt she will come up with a way that she can catch the wash that is shaken off

Dip the model in the Varnish, then  ..............................................    put it inside a plastic food bag, grip with Pliers and then shake the excess into the bag   .....................    that way  .....

...........  1.  the floor stays clear   .........................  2.  the excess is saved   ............................................     and  ....    

....  3.  if lots to be done in one go, you could probably dip the models into the bag and shake it around in the excess anyway  .........    :tomato:   .........................    sort of Marinated Models!   ........     :declare:

...........    but be very careful if you are cooking at the same time  ...................   :acute: