Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Hi

I have a mixture of stock to run, and my inspiration is from seeing steam running into Paddington and on the ecml in the last few years, plus videos I have seen of Heritage lines.

I never knew steam as it was, I am Not old enough.

At heart I am a collector, but I am a emotional collector as opposed to a speculative collector. I like to collect snippets in time, to try and recreate pictures, or events I have seen

So the will be A3, A4's, Jinty, castles, bobs, coronations, schools, as well as diesels electrics, and prototypes, Dp1' kestrel etc.

I will be running modern day on the main layout interspersed with heritage on the Goathland loop.

Some of it will be What if..... Kestrel or falcon or lms twins had been preserved.

So 060, there will be some, not sure which yet though.

Edited by Kal
  • Like 2

Hi Tony

Bit slow tonight, I misunderstood the question I think.

Yes there is no reason to not run 060's with this type of layout. They take more effort to fit decoders, or at least you need small ones, but other than that , it all works. Only caveat is turnouts. Your really need electrofrog points for 060 and DCC, or a stay alive capacitors added to the decoder to deal with the dead frogs.

Edited by Kal

Hi

Managed to have a good chat with dt and lofty.sr last night about detailing and painting figures, and learned a lot of stuff from lofty.sr who is something of a master at such modelling.

looking forward to, or rather Jaz is... trying out some of those ideas and publishing the results.

Now need to plan a visit to Games Workshop to buy some washes.

Hi

Managed to have a good chat with dt and lofty.sr last night about detailing and painting figures, and learned a lot of stuff from lofty.sr who is something of a master at such modelling.

looking forward to, or rather Jaz is... trying out some of those ideas and publishing the results.

Now need to plan a visit  to buy some washes.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=laundrettes+near+peterbourgh&rlz=1C1CHFX_enGB530GB530&oq=laundrettes+near+peterbourgh&aqs=chrome..69i57.21832j0j7&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

Just had a nice catch-up.  Really like how it's taking shape again!

As for the preservation line thing that's exactly how I see my railway.  While I've built up stock to represent GWR, BR Blue, Current (and have been diverging into BR Maroon) and the layout has all sorts of GWR features (water cranes, water tower which is WIP, signs & so on) I'm trying not to fix it at one point.  The observant would see the furniture on the ground floor of the stationmaster's house is a little modern!

Add to that that TSC loves all the different trains and doesn't care if they fit together or not & I just run what I feel!  He wanted to attach a maroon Mk1 BSK to the X-Country 220 at the weekend, and when told this was physically impossible without surgery marshaled up an 08, BSK and four one-planks, putting toy soldiers on the latter "so they could get some fresh air"...

• Like 3

Ya know......

If it isn't fun... why do it? 

I have great respect for museum pieces, they take a lot of skill and are for an audience of many. Me... I do it it for us and people of a like mind.

While we have the likes of Shakespeare in literature, it does not mean there isn't room for  a bit of dilbert, and can we not learn from both in equal measure.

Full strength to your and TSC's arm....and never say never, on a modern layout, what never happened, could happen tomorrow.

Edited by Kal

Hi Tony

Bit slow tonight, I misunderstood the question I think.

Yes there is no reason to not run 060's with this type of layout. They take more effort to fit decoders, or at least you need small ones, but other than that , it all works. Only caveat is turnouts. Your really need electrofrog points for 060 and DCC, or a stay alive capacitors added to the decoder to deal with the dead frogs.

Hi Kal,

No, the fault was mine for being so vague. But guess what? - under the domestic cosh again. Forgive me till later. ;-)

Tony.

Tools

med_gallery_17883_3001_595499.jpgrmweb481terraforming28

An old soup container for the souper glue  :sungum: I keep my mix of water nd PV in here with lid on to stop it drying out, although if left for a while it does small...a lot!!!

My trusty blade.....

A cheap 1 from a pack of 10 sanding blocks

And my evil bay buy it cheap pile it high static grass applicator. The tea strainer (yes really) is covered in yellow electric tape to stop conductivity, and the chinese take away lid is to hopefully catch the grass when metal meets metal and I jump!!!!!

Souper glue container...

med_gallery_17883_3001_106173.jpgrmweb483terraforming30

roughly mix 2 or 3 colours, and you'll notice where the lead always pick up some up as I move it about

med_gallery_17883_3001_161649.jpgrmweb485terraforming32

As you can see I am very HIGH tech  :sungum:  :jester:  :butcher:

• Like 2

Nah, we just put it up to see if we could get some mug to buy it  :jester:

Not sure if it as good as expensive ones, but I offered to buy Jaz a better one and she said that this one does everything she needs.

About £10 quid I think from fleabag, I just added some insulation tape to reduce the Bangs, when Jaz touched the screw.

Jaz has had to go out, but she has a bunch more pictures showing the progress and will post when she returns

As all ways... any questions, fire away and if we can answer them, we are happy to do so.

Edited by Kal
  • Like 1

I was not unhappy with the puffer bottle, and still use it for touching up if i can't b bothered to look for the 'tennis racket' (bug killer handle / tea strainer) 

Points for consideration when using a battery operated static applicator.

1. Well wet the area with the glue (pictures later)

2. stand the screw in the middle of the liquid so the electricity carries through the liquid

3. I tend to not go much further than a diameter around the screw, otherwise the electricity becomes weaker and the grass can fail to stand up.

4. As Kal says ensure all metal on the outside is insulated, or it pops...and usually scares you to death and you throw the grass in the air!!!!

As we bought our battery operated one cheap it was better value than the puffer. but when compared to the top of the range it is a good start point.

5. You need to keep it low to the liquid so that static electricity flows, as little as an inch is preferred, and you can see chains of the grass when it is full charged.

Pictures coming........

Terraforming...Static Grass

plain paint

med_gallery_17883_3001_693734.jpgrmweb477terraforming24

Oe side down, but glue still wet so a white finish obscures what you will end up with

med_gallery_17883_3001_551740.jpgrmweb478terraforming25

The first layer of green as shown yesterday

med_gallery_17883_3001_468974.jpgrmweb479terraforming26

50 / 50 water Pva 

med_gallery_17883_3001_483998.jpgrmweb480terraforming27

attach the crocodile clip to a screw or a nail and push into the surface to be grassed, on soft nail is fine on wood etc you need to screw in

med_gallery_17883_3001_541981.jpgrmweb486terraforming33

the white Pva again obscuring the view...

med_gallery_17883_3001_493538.jpgrmweb487terraforming34

in my opinion add the glue carefully, on a large flat clean surface or you will find the item glued when you come back!!!! 

I dribble some at a time

med_gallery_17883_3001_132287.jpgrmwebterraforming35

and rub in gently, allowing gravity to mimic the real thing.

med_gallery_17883_3001_601873.jpgrmweb489terraforming36

I need to get more picture, will post this as so many pictures rather than risk losing it.....be back soon

• Like 1

The result of the metal applicator touch the screw in the glue and me jerky my arm as I squeaked, luckily it hit the table and not the floor!!!!

med_gallery_17883_3001_139423.jpgrmweb490terraforming37

another thing I do is always put the screw in upright, rather than mess trying to touch it up with grass I add a tree, or some scenic product

med_gallery_17883_3001_113889.jpgrmweb491terraforming38

holes filled with trees etc

med_gallery_17883_3001_621423.jpgrmweb493terraforming40

you need to consider the height available, we have a slopped roof, Add the trees when the grass is dried normally to avoid trees glued in in case I want to chase them...and a void ripping out half the scenery!!!!!

med_gallery_17883_3001_575593.jpgrmweb492terraforming39

Must go do food, then I''ll photograph and  show the two bits in position and hopefully the glue has started to dry so the white haze has started to go.

Feel free to ask questions as we are on the home straight at the moment.

• Like 2

Hey Clay,

which one did you go for?

I have to tip our one back wards and forwards in order to get the grass to lay over the area I want it to stick to, the chines take away lid is good for catching what drops whilt I do that so the static grass is re useable rather than full of debris when rescued from the table top.

Edited by Jaz

The bad news is that the glue is still very tacky, and this means

1. I cannot pick it up to move it into is home

2. There is no point photographing it because it still haze the white haze.

The good new s is that I have a consolation prize. 

The big House has an outbuilding or two, one of which can be designated as stables for Ashfordly Hall, using some Wills sheets of cobbles, I did lighten the cobbles but they need more as the Big House is a very pale colour and the cobbles had a previous usage.

Anyways 2 sheets of Wills are sufficient, and using my blade and the sander I carefully ...cough....cut the 'hole' for the sheets to slot into

Here is one in place and one space beside it

med_gallery_17883_3001_24130.jpgrmweb495terraforming42

This is a model view

med_gallery_17883_3001_511529.jpgrmweb496terrraforming43

And here is a half birdseye view  :jester: 

med_gallery_17883_3001_400627.jpgrmweb494terraforming41

anyway you get the idea.

The smooth area is dugout for the road, the rough area for the grass etc.The roads here are a private entrance so just one car width.

Once position of buildings are finalised they will be set into the landscape in the same manner as the cobbles.

Tomorrow I'll post the dried static grass,close up and in situ, then I will need to blend them to the tunnel.

• Like 2

Hi Ian

lovely to see you here on RMweb. Was checking out your scratch build on the other place, just above your post is act_mr, you should check out his layout thread, you two will get a long famously.

further up the page is C&WR someone you'll recognise with a new name. And on previous pages here JCL and Freebs both talented scratch build guys who have links to their work.

Don't be shy these guys are really friendly.  :sungum:

I saw you posted on dt's, Julian, silky_jack and Jukebox are lurking about as well.

Edited by Jaz

A general view of this part of the layout at present

Heartbeat

med_gallery_17883_3001_577916.jpgrmweb497terraforming44

P.S. The cove has been pulled forward and you can see where the plaster cast is hanging ready to cover the back of the cove, the bottom of the window is shining through

and Goathland Station

med_gallery_17883_3001_669383.jpgrmweb498terraforming45

• Like 10