Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Hi Kal,

I rather think my idea may be tricky, as the plastic food bags are very slippery and the thing might just end in Disaaarster Daaarrling.....

I wouldn't like to be responsible for the wholesale redecoration of the attic  .................    :O

In one of the American mags I read of someone who used a steel caboose as a layout room. Cool or what!

Jaz, Kal, I admire your work greatly, even though - heck, because - it is at the opposite extreme to my own. Saying that, funds permitting (it is an issue with Care Givers as we are called in the States, you don't lose one salary but two) I've a fancy for a fantasy section of some sort, perhaps in the Smallbrook Studio vein - (Time, time Time!) LOL! I must lighten up, though.

Wow!- that was way back, but thanks. :-D

Actually, I've had a Eureka moment, laterally. There's nothing to stop my Games Workshop stuff manifesting anywhere they feel like on my conventional layout (Quantum Entanglement!) ONCE I get the thread up and running. Don't hold your breath, 'tho. ;-)

• Like 1

Back to terraforming

The additional 25mm necessitated a load of gaffing about whilst some pieces had to be cut for the whole to line up again.

The sides are being coloured and matching the colours has started

The original tunnel attempt has been cut away, the new 25mm sheet popped in place and pinned, the 'lid' on the adjacent piece in place

med_gallery_17883_3001_291190.jpgrmweb422tunnel1

side on view

med_gallery_17883_3001_142119.jpgrmweb424tunnel2

the sides leading up to the tunnel

med_gallery_17883_3001_440659.jpgrmweb425tunnel3

the sides in front of where the tunnel should be

med_gallery_17883_3001_17780.jpgrmweb426tunnel4

Another side view showing all the various tailored bits of PIR

med_gallery_17883_3001_50886.jpgrmweb427tunnel5

the view from Goathlnad

med_gallery_17883_3001_471895.jpgrmweb427tunnel6

The three main bits aligned

med_gallery_17883_3001_133820.jpgrmwebtunnel8

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 8

Wow!- that was way back, but thanks. :-D

Actually, I've had a Eureka moment, laterally. There's nothing to stop my Games Workshop stuff manifesting anywhere they feel like on my conventional layout (Quantum Entanglement!) ONCE I get the thread up and running. Don't hold your breath, 'tho. ;-)

No reason at all check out Hobbiton End

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/35993-hobbiton-end/&do=findComment&comment=382983

Other terraforming carried out today

crossing levels

med_gallery_17883_3001_127657.jpgrmweb423terraforming1

Almost as far as the Aidensfield / Scripps area, just beyond Scripps you can see the camber on the road

med_gallery_17883_3001_576701.jpgrmweb430terraforming2

Beyond Aidensfield arms, to the right of the Aidensfield Arms is a little road that in reality leads to bed and breakfast and a camping site

med_gallery_17883_3001_71973.jpgrmweb432terraforming3

One side road leads off to a farm - this may end up representing Greengrasses, the left hand side road leads to a small outbuilding

med_gallery_17883_3001_381679.jpgrmweb433terraforming4

• Like 4

Trees and hedging will be an essential way of covering up the joins

med_gallery_17883_3001_423263.jpgrmweb434terraforming5

The camber is in place, and in some areas pavements will be added

med_gallery_17883_3001_67328.jpgrmweb435terraforming6

A few figures are added to give a sense of scale

med_gallery_17883_3001_353688.jpgrmweb436terraforming7

there are several level changes if you look carefully

med_gallery_17883_3001_2574.jpgrmweb438terraforming9

• Like 6

Hi Jaz,

Just a thought. Might you use plaster-bandage for the joints? - or will you need the individual panels to be removable for detail work?

Coming along very well, though - and speedily. I tend to waste far too much time staring and dreaming. Must break that habit!

Tony.

Plaster bandage will be used when I can't hide it with green fluffy stuff, the good thing about it is it retains it's shape and can be pushed back together a lot of times, as long as you are careful I used that on Port Lynn Cove, connecting the aerodrome above with it. The point of building this all in PIR is so we can lift it off if necessary to get to the tracks. The biggest problem we had on our first incarnation was getting to some of the tracks when they played up without leaning over fragile scenery.

Hi

I am thinking of masking one face of a join and then using a mix of CA (superglue) and bicarbonate of soda.

Need to test first but I understand it is perfect for filling holes and gaps in foam type material.

Edited by Kal
  • Like 1

A couple more class60s as promised. Still need detailing, weathering etc as per most of our stock.

med_gallery_17883_2760_380330.jpgrmwebclass60s1

med_gallery_17883_2760_157184.jpgrmweb443class60s2

med_gallery_17883_2760_662360.jpgrmweb444class60s3

med_gallery_17883_2760_148041.jpgrmweb445class60s4

med_gallery_17883_2760_191516.jpgrmweb446class60s5

med_gallery_17883_2760_294297.jpgrmweb447class60s6

med_gallery_17883_2760_127021.jpgrmweb448class60s7

• Like 2

S&D Models, Phoeneix, 00 Track Gang £5.00 5 figures

1 white metal 2 base colour 3 4 5 coloured up Paint orange first then over lay with yellow for highlights

med_gallery_17883_2760_316288.jpgrmweb107enginers2

The reference photo

med_gallery_17883_2760_334705.jpgrmweb106engineers1

Just doing a catch up.

The blue hard hat denotes a new starter to the railway, therefore you would not have a lookout with a blue hat, or the COSS, these at least would have a White hat.

The scenery is looking great BTW

ess1uk

Thank you for pointing out the error, out of interest

1. What is the COSS you refer to

2. You mention at least a white hat, does that mean there is different levels?

I painted the foreman on the left a blue hat too, and as you say the lookout I assume you mean the guy with the flag.Would yellow hats be appropriate?

Thank you for the comment about the scenery, not long now before I can get past just the paint, then hopefully it will start to look reasonably realistic.

Hope you enjoyed the holidays.

Edited by Jaz

Plaster bandage will be used when I can't hide it with green fluffy stuff, the good thing about it is it retains it's shape and can be pushed back together a lot of times, as long as you are careful I used that on Port Lynn Cove, connecting the aerodrome above with it. The point of building this all in PIR is so we can lift it off if necessary to get to the tracks. The biggest problem we had on our first incarnation was getting to some of the tracks when they played up without leaning over fragile scenery.

I should have realised from what you've posted before. (*blush smilie) Under those circumstances, and with the undergrowth yet to be done, it's going to be brilliant!

*must enable emoticons.

• RMweb Premium

I am intrigued by Kal's research as well, so I'll test that out, but I have metres of plaster cast in reserve. :sungum: At worst if anyone breaks an arm or a leg... I can spare them a trip to A&E.

Power tools safely packed away for tonight............

Cheers,

Mick

ess1uk

Thank you for pointing out the error, out of interest

1. What is the COSS you refer to

2. You mention at least a white hat, does that mean there is different levels?

I painted the foreman on the left a blue hat too, and as you say the lookout I assume you mean the guy with the flag.Would yellow hats be appropriate?

Thank you for the comment about the scenery, not long now before I can get past just the paint, then hopefully it will start to look reasonably realistic.

Hope you enjoyed the holidays.

Hi Jaz

The Controler Of Site Safety is responsible for the gangs safety on the track, he would have a White helmet.

The lookout with his White helmet would have 2 flags, a red one to stop trains, and a blue and White chequeted flag to wave to warn the track gang.

There are only blue or White helmets worn on the railway. Blue is a new starter, hence the trainees in your picture all have nice shiny new kit.

Hope this helps.

ess1uk

Thank you very much, I'll update at least the controllers and lookouts hats, and although a red flag would be easier to paint i'll see if I can find a checkered flag as I suppose it would b used more often - stopping a train I would have thought would be a rare one. Thank you very much for the update. It is nicer to have them coloured correctly.

Hi Jaz

Superb bit of modelling going on there. Love the way you've formed the terrain out of the insulation boards. Really looks the buisness.

As for the lookout the flag definitely needs to be blue and white chequered. Us drivers normally get very twitchy if we see a red one. Normally involves clean underwear!!

Regards

Marcus

Marcus37

Thak you for the comments about the modelling. :sungum:

I didn't realise you were a real life driver!!! I will need to go back and think of a whole host of questions, that you might be able to answer.

Blue chequered flag it is.

1. I hope you weren't responsible for the time my train came into Victoria station and jumped the end of the track!!!! I was in the second carriage, which was lucky as when we were allowed to get out, feel slightly shaken I notice some poor woman being taken off by paramedics on a trolley in a neck brace....they were advising her it was only precautionary.

2. Or the time we came to a grinding halt on the way into London (I forget which station) because as it turned out another train was on the same track heading towards us!!!! Lord knows how it happened, we were sat for over 15 minutes waiting until we slowly moved forward, the other train was no where to be seen (I had got bored looking through window and sat down) so I assume it had had to back up a ways.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1