Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Yes I think he is satisfied he now has his dog bone, and you know what dogs are like with their bone.....

I expect once we have a little Goathland track that you will be inundated with photos and perhaps videos of locos, trains etc zooming about. 

Trains from Kalborough will finally have a decent destination, then Sheffield Park will be under attack.

Talking of which I am off to go check glue drying......

• Like 1

Jaz, I'm completely amazed by the scope of this project and the work that has gone into it. There is so much scenery already done and to think you're redoing parts of it. It really puts my bare baseboard to shame. Three years and not a speck of flock or ballast...

Thanks for the namecheck by the way ;)

Hi Freebs,

well... while we are trying to get the sprouts and parsnips out of the way first, you have gone straight to the Pudding. :blum:

It has left us drooling over what is to come, you tease.   :rolleyes:

Edited by Kal

OH Lol,

Freebs I mentioned you as a good scratch builder because you are. Your little team needs a nick name  :sungum: The camaraderie, joking and spurring each other on to new and clever things is just totally inspiring. Plus, the special bit is, you don't do the ....here is a nice finished piece of work I have to show off....you share your how to ideas. I am still blown away by acg_mr's bending plastic, and JCLs machine work, it was your work that encouraged us to try the brick work in the PIR, originally we were just planning some gentle slopes. All great inspirers, and encouraging new ideas. Everyone of you has given me great ideas. I am still keeping Iron Maidens ideas on rust finishing top of the list to emulate as soon as time allows, peeling paint...magnificent.

Jaz, I'm completely amazed by the scope of this project and the work that has gone into it. There is so much scenery already done and to think you're redoing parts of it. It really puts my bare baseboard to shame. Three years and not a speck of flock or ballast...

Thanks for the namecheck by the way ;)

Aha, there's one area where I can beat you.  It was something over 30 years between construction of my baseboard and getting any scenery on it beyond a couple of hand-drawn posters on the side-boards where the station is, a couple of scratch-built pieces (must takes some pics of what my pre-teen self used to build) and a card-and-wood station house!

• Like 1

I am still keeping Iron Maidens ideas on rust finishing top of the list to emulate as soon as time allows, peeling paint...magnificent.

Run to the Hills!

(the landscaped ones, that is)

10 points if you get the reference

Oh sugar bags

How rude of me, I meant Northern Maiden of course.  :blackeye:  :pardon:   :banghead: ..........oops head banging......still Iron Maiden :jester:

edit== how does one spend these 10 points?

Edited by Jaz

The glue is dry

med_gallery_17883_3001_550289.jpgrmweb499teraforming46

the embankments still need more work, of course, but we are slowly getting there, I spend half my modelling time photographing  :sarcastichand:

med_gallery_17883_3001_5418.jpgrmweb500terraforming47

Once in situ

med_gallery_17883_3001_407218.jpgrmweb501terraforming48

Of course we need ballast, track colouring, I have just removed all the bits for Kal to go sort out the point, then I will attack the ballast, and track cooer and hopefully not before too long retreat from this area, next I will be attacking above the tunnel entrance

• Like 1

Joining the Big House to the embankment

med_gallery_17883_3001_231602.jpgrmweb502terraformiing49

med_gallery_17883_3001_239312.jpgrmweb503terraforming50

without buildings in order to to see the lay of the land

med_gallery_17883_3001_662480.jpgrmweb506terraforming53

you might notice the trees in the front are a bit naff in comparison to the similar ones at the back. There are all cheap 3 for 2£ in a beige colour. Kal said they reminded him initially of a bog brush.

I repainted them, them copydexed them and shoved them in some cheap grass/turf mix. And pushed them in further so the weedy trunks are not too noticeable.

Glue and the basic turf is added edit=oops wrong place but I'll leave it as people rated the post already

med_gallery_17883_3001_207425.jpgrmweb509terraforming

Edited by Jaz

A step by step by step.....If people are not bored stiff by now they can feel free to say...So I know it is worthwhile.....

Colouring above the tunnel, the facia join at this moment looks really poor

med_gallery_17883_3001_302354.jpgrmweb506terraforming54

But get at a small distance and it becomes less conspicuous

med_gallery_17883_3001_196454.jpgrmweb507terraforming55

Here you can see the main middle foam 'block' which is set on another thinner sheet in order to raise the tunnel high enough for trains to go through without a cave in. Below the top layer which only covers half the middle layer (try saying that after a drink!!!) the foil has been kept to provide strengthening. But this can only be done if applied to both sees, otherwise curling of the model will occur.

you can see I am not too worried about a perfect fit, it encourages more scenic actions, which makes it less and less symmetrical and therefore more realistic (well I hope that's the result)

med_gallery_17883_3001_435302.jpgrmweb508terraforming56

glue and basic green turf is added, I've used woodchip types mostly from Hornby mixes, but foam, whatever, is fine....as it's going to be covered don't waste money on anything expensive.

N.B. I do lay it on a bit thick at the join because this will need to be disguised.....

med_gallery_17883_3001_207425.jpgrmweb509terraforming57

I'll post this as I don't like to put up too many pictures at once in case it crashes.

The tunnel facia has a slightly graduated colour not pure black, it is a mic with the front colour. The inside is just flat black.

I was tempted to do the stone into the tunnel mouth, as per my earlier try, but I also like the lined tunnels as they have this extra 3D effect, In my opinion both look good.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

I prefer not to put out too much glue in case of disturbances, door knocking e.g postman, phone ringing etc etc etc, and again as this is the base level you don't need to be too neat and tidy

under the gap i go in a little bit to help hide the PIR

med_gallery_17883_3001_125623.jpgrmweb510terraforming58

normally I like the fluff to fall naturally i.e. vertically like rain, but with a join like this I lift the foam up on edge and glue and drop the green on the vertical flat front itself otherwise it will not get enough colour to disguise the joint.

close up you can see a nasty line where the light hits the model differently, not to worry later work will disquise it and the build up of colours will still work (says she hopefully - fingers crossed)

med_gallery_17883_3001_654977.jpgrmweb511terraforming59

offcuts of copper wire can be used for holding the PIR in place, by the time several layers of fluff are added you will find it hard to locate them, this is the edge of the top layer of PIR, it would be better to trim it and work it into the lower level, but I am tight for space to fit any buildings up here, so instead just add this little shape from an offcut to disguise the square edge

med_gallery_17883_3001_133770.jpgrmeb512terraforming60

filling in cracks on grass and rock is easy...not so much on roads.....there was also a distinct pattern line which I filled...hence the weird white marks on top. Regular patterns draw the eye and never look anything but designed, as the ground is intended to be grassed or near the building I don't want this hence the filler, i'll touch up with thinned paint later.

The foam was thin at the road that it was proving difficult to fix, I tried glue - won't dry in time, I tried filler - still not the best, I resorted to ripping of a piece of wall paper and tearing it roughly so no straight edges and working into the filler  - I'll check it tomorrow, after seeing Westerhamstation's clever Belisha Beacon build I think I could use dress making pins....I'll see tomorrow....

med_gallery_17883_3001_401294.jpgrmweb513terraforming61

I used some foam bushes to start to fill in the wholes, they will be covered by more detailed items as time goes on, there is two colours mixed and ripped so mor different shapes - technically more natural - I dropped the foam in place and using a syringe dribble PVA onto them it works its way down and glues them to the base.Tomorrow when they are dry static grass won't stick to them, so if any excess static grass gets on them ...just hoover it off.

Oh the hoover!!! We use one of those small car hoovers, we can reclaim materials more easily this way, and we use a mains lead rather than a battery one as they tend to be stronger. Plus is does not mess up the main house hoover.

med_gallery_17883_3001_713087.jpgrmweb514terraforming62

Leave to dry and inspect tomorrow.The ripped up foam has also been used to cover the tunnel facia to the main foam block. I use glue and pins the glue is encased and takes longer to dry than usual sometimes days, original we used track pins...which was expensive, then nails, and as mentioned copper wire offcuts, basically anything that comes to hand.....

Edited by Jaz

Hi Jaz and Kal, (creap creap,) having mad a complete nut of myself in the Lounge I will now take my time and go back to page 1 and have a proper look ta this thread.

Having just had a look at some pics it looks really good, catch up again later.

All the best,

Andy, alias The Mighty Bodgit. :no:

• Like 1

Continuing

just a view from the other direction

med_gallery_17883_3001_563583.jpgrmweb516terraforming63

Add a couple of trees to get a feel for the perspective

med_gallery_17883_3001_194357.jpgrmweb516terraforming64

This 'horizon' goes down here pretty much like a low relief, elsewhere we go up, I try to change the back ground finish too, 

med_gallery_17883_3001_297194.jpgrmweb517terraforming65

Placing small trees when the scenery goes down at the back helps with the perspective

That road is looking dodgy suspect it will need another go tomorrow

regardless a quick check of building placement when all dry followed by static grass.

The grass will NOT be the last bit once different segments are finished and placed adjacent you need to ensure that they don't look like 2 different segments, so all depending on how good or bad they look they will need to be visually tided together.The edge is always going to be reasonably straight, in order to stop this I will probably populate the edge with small shrubs and trees.

you notice I take the colour over the edge, no two pieces are going to sit perfectly so you don't want the base PIR glaring through, taking the colour over the edge will help.

med_gallery_17883_3001_185236.jpg

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

Hi Both well I've been back a few pages and I like the tutorial pics, really good, even for an Old Codger like me to understand. :scared: :scared:

One quick point, and I HAVEN'T READ ALL THROUGH YET, but this is serious, do you have a Fire Extinguisher up there? I had a loft layout and the light above the hatch caught fire, :O  there was only one way out for me, :no:  although I do notice you have a nice large window for use in emergencies. :stinker: :stinker:

Bodge :sungum:

Hi

Yes, apart from the velux x 5 and the end window, I built some stairs to the loft. We have a wifi smoke alarm with direct connection to the fire brigade, and a selection of extinguishers and a couple of fire blankets

It is a good point though, so anyone reading that has a loft layout, bear in mind, what you do if a fire started below you or in the loft.

Edited by Kal