Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Brass0four

I also take another point from your post. Viewers can get confused as to what subject we are on, I even occasionally have to look carefully at the Heartbeat ones myself.

In order, to try and make this easier for everyone I will go back through the pages and add at the top of pictures that I have posted what hey refer to, this should automatically make Kal's easier as well.

Hope this helps.

It comes to a real low point to realise that passengers are expected to spread the grit for the Loco, so they can get to work on time   .................................

Just imagine how the Gov't would love that - to be able to blame the passengers for their trains being late  ............    :jester:  :jester: :jester:  

"10 trains were more than 50 minutes late today, due to lazy passengers on the line"  ................     :O  :O

• Like 1

med_gallery_17883_3106_111727.jpgrmweb548peterborough38

med_gallery_17883_3106_470861.jpgrmweb549peterborough39

med_gallery_17883_3106_421902.jpgrmweb550peterborough40

med_gallery_17883_3106_976206.jpgrmweb551peterborough41

As there is not much interest I will go back to AV, and try and add this during the day.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 2

As there is not much interest............

.......................     :cry:

OK seriously .......  that's a lot of modelling to go on at the same time there................

Q for Kal - I know what the tpws does and can see what the replacement modern[?] ones look like - do they still work on electro - magnetic "switches" or is the Grid-iron thing a total new departure for the "Triggers"?

Monster tree on the layout.....

I have to admit the fungi.....are not to scale...I could rip them off and do them smaller, but I will probably just avoid them, the tree will need a better home though

med_gallery_17883_3001_537804.jpgrmwen535terraforming268

I can take the Ent (LOTR) and Triffid jokes, feel free  :sungum:

the fungi if you think it should be 0 gauge...

med_gallery_17883_3001_153785.jpgrmweb538trees1

me still not letting the cat out of the bag....

med_gallery_17883_3001_91842.jpgrmweb555trees2

hey a cute bunny!!!

med_gallery_17883_3001_939453.jpgrmweb556trees3

not so much a birds eye view....as a squirrels...

med_gallery_17883_3001_257442.jpgrmweb557trees4

have you noticed the cars do look rather small???

• Like 4

I bought a Restaurant in Cornwall    ..................................  

Triffid jokes, feel free

Someone had put Plaster-board over the stone walls downstairs    .....................   it all smelled a little damp down there, so I decided, after a while that the boards had to come down and look to see where the damp was coming from.

When the boards came off there was an absolutely stomach rending stench and the whole wall had huge black slimy fungus growths, shaped like large narrow palm leaves. It wouldn't have been a surprise if they had lurched out and wrapped themselves around people and consumed them  .....................   they were certainly big enough   .........................     :scared:  :O  :scared:   :O :o  

• RMweb Gold

Jaz,

I find the pictures of Peterborough good, but depressing.  They portray a railway station built, it seems, to just the barest minimal functionality.  There appears to be no pride in what they have done.  Don't get me wrong, I love railways and would use them more if I could.

Keep them coming though, even if the do not look as half as good as your layout, as they are informative.

Edited by ChrisN
  • Like 1

LOL funny you should say that, the ones I have portrayed are Beef Steak Fungi

beefsteak.jpghampshirecam.co.uk

they call them that because of their look. I have NO idea if they are edible!!!!!!

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

med_gallery_17883_3001_244489.jpgrmweb558trees5

those roots seemed such a good idea but they add....another 25ft

med_gallery_17883_3001_414647.jpgrmweb559trees6

the police house is on higher ground...so the effect is minimised

med_gallery_17883_3001_920487.jpgrmweb560trees7

but is does tower somewhat, of course at 100ft thats not surprising if you say 8ft per level in a house a house is only about 25ft high including the roof. I put it by the church because they do tend to have old trees.

med_gallery_17883_3001_123345.jpgrmweb562trees9

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Jaz, I do not think I have seen a tree on a layout that big.  I live in Bracknell, and the district is called Bracknell Forest because it is on (ex) Crown Land and was/is a forest.  Massive pine trees that tower over the houses.

It is a brave person who models that, but as I said earlier, you have the space.  Just needs bedding in.

I am surprised the Vicar or the bloke in the house next to it hasn't had it lopped as it will not do their foundations any good.

Edited by ChrisN

• RMweb Gold

I think the tree is wonderful, and the scale is fine, in my view - we have some flipping big trees round here which dwarf any building, however, I do have my doubts about it's position in the churchyard.

BUT, it's your trainset, and it's a glorious piece of modelling.

Oh it won't stay there, it's not appropriate for the church cameo.

It was there just as it was an easy place to pop it.

The tree could made exactly the same way at half or even a quarter scale. My mistake was in measuring the tree whilst on the stand and thinking a nice big tree, then forgetting that at the size raising the roots was not the cleverest of ideas, and I never tested it on the layout until i finished it.....and I will let you seethe Houston we have a problem photo in a moment. 

I was more scared to mess it up along the way, all the ideas worked and if gets a home which allows for it it will look nice, otherwise i might have to see if i can do a separate 0 gauge diorama to show it off (the level of detail possible on that would allow me to paint a couple of gorgeous figures. maybe with a couple of magical characters picking fungi off the ground, a DAS fairy or elf or leprechaun.

The point is it works on a railway layout, I just need to look at the three beeches in these country that are that height, one is half as big again!!! and perhaps model them in that situation

wilts_ancient_trees_08_470x350.jpgbb.co.uk /wiltshire ancient trees

The girth on mine does not represent the ancient tree though,this is thought to be the biggest beech,

• Like 1

For comparison the trees made from real twigs

Showing the real bark

med_gallery_17883_3001_548182.jpgrmweb564trees11

med_gallery_17883_3001_327797.jpgrmweb563trees10

a close up of the fungi....i mean the stoat  :jester:

med_gallery_17883_3001_924159.jpg

edit=sorry duplicated it should have been this last picture

med_gallery_17883_3001_97332.jpgmweb561trees8

rrmweb565trees12

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 4

Ah, like this one. Hoping the LT museum do it as a limited edition to go with the 20's. The white one would be nice too. Haven't managed to drive that one yet!

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Looks great, and yes lets hope London Transport Museum do it as a LTD, that would be great.

Jamie

• Like 1

ess1uk

Do you know the name? I will continue popping them up here in case anyone is interested in the details. We can all continue chatting around them though, because at the moment we have nothing to refer to them with. It just seems a project worth doing because we visit it so often. Had we known they were going to do an update to the station we would have taken BEFORE pictures as well. but that was a missed opportunity. Rather envy you if you spent time with Castle at the Didcot railway site.

I've never been to Didcot rail centre, only see it across the yard, must do it some day.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/80249-peterborough-station-remodelling/

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/37267-some-interesting-things-at-peterborough/

Links to Peterborough threads.

Edited by ess1uk

No no, just our shed is small at Peterborough not the station. Lol.

It's because it is hidden away unless you knew when to look you would miss it.

For those who don't know where it is, it is near the big B&Q, but with NO public access.

Fagus sylvatica , beech tree

'It is a large tree, capable of reaching heights of up to 50 m (160 ft) tall[2] and 3 m (9.8 ft) trunk diameter, though more typically 25–35 m (82–115 ft) tall and up to 1.5 m (4.9 ft) trunk diameter. A 10-year-old sapling will stand about 4 m (13 ft) tall. It has a typical lifespan of 150 to 200 years, though sometimes up to 300 years. 30 years are needed to attain full maturity (as compared to 40 for American beech). Like most trees, its form depends on the location: in forest areas, F. sylvatica grows to over 30 m (100 ft), with branches being high up on the trunk. In open locations, it will become much shorter (typically 15–24 m (50–80 ft)) and more massive.'

The tree is a wicked size and will need to be added most carefully, I could cut off the roots!!! But I would rather just make another one. However, for now I am dropping the tree making, and going back to terraforming

med_gallery_17883_3001_27115.jpgrmweb566trees13

And we are at the point of joining Goathlnad to Heartbeat, which will include the bridge

med_gallery_17883_3001_362107.jpgrmweb567trees14

Before we sweep back to the station, which is the true focus

med_gallery_17883_3001_748744.jpgrmweb569trees16

The aim is to fit the police station on the layout as shown in the picture above, and preferable to the left of the road

I think I can fit it and the side building. I think with the front face Goathland Station.The third building is actually a large building set back and to the right and only gives the impression of sitting next to the house because of the angle from the road.

Edited by Jaz