Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Nice pics, thanks Jaz.

Just read your post on Lunester, and realised you really would be better with pictures rather than text.....I'll try to make sure I put up something everyday.

I was think....you might not be able to do the work at the moment....but no reason why on you can't plan for it. I am sure people would flock as usual to your thread if you decided to discuss what you plan to do. It might help you plan how best to approach the work you need to do once you are fit again. All those plans you are making as you sit in your conservatory might as well be shared. A lot of people do wish lists....so I suspect everyone would be interested in your thoughts.

• Like 1

Jaz/Kal,

Apologies, but I'm still finding my way around RMweb and have only just 'arrived' at your thread via the link on one of Jaz's postings in 'the lounge'. What an incredible amount of work you've done in such a short time - I'm going to look in now and then

to track through it but a quick scan shows just what fast learners you are - superb and inspiring work, so don't be surprised if you see some 'like' ratings from me on older posts as time goes by.

Thank you, kind regards,

Jock.

I did see a bundle of likes. Glad you find us of interest. On PAGE ONE is a loose INDEX giving picture and video links including walk thrus....so if you see an area of interest.....rather than trawling through a sprawling thread you might be able to arrow in. The pictures are nearly all on my Gallery...which is also divided into areas....including those pictures of other peoples layouts that have caught my eye.

Thank you for the nice comments and a warm welcome to AV.

Oh just a quickie. Has the signalling contract been put out to tender yet?

Nope you still have time to put in an offer... :sungum:

Looking good Jaz.is there nothing you can't do with PIR. Think we'll have to christen you Queen Span. Kingspan, get it? Ok pretty bad I know. I'll get my coat............taxi.

As for using the aluminium mesh for the fencing, that's just what I used round the oil terminal on KoLW. Great stuff isn't it and nice an easy to cut.

Cheers

Marcus

Yes very easy to cut, and sturdy, and even if you bend it easy t straighten....very pleased with it.

• Like 1

Just read your post on Lunester, and realised you really would be better with pictures rather than text.....I'll try to make sure I put up something everyday.

I was think....you might not be able to do the work at the moment....but no reason why on you can't plan for it. I am sure people would flock as usual to your thread if you decided to discuss what you plan to do. It might help you plan how best to approach the work you need to do once you are fit again. All those plans you are making as you sit in your conservatory might as well be shared. A lot of people do wish lists....so I suspect everyone would be interested in your thoughts.

Cheers Jaz, still looking at Buildings at the moment, some people that have seen the Garage say it must go, whilst others say it can be rescued and made good.

I have a few plans drawn up from before the Stroke and so I have a fair idea as to what I want.

I have such a variety of stock and interests that I need two Layouts. I like to work to a schedule when running for realistic trains and operation so hence the need for two Layouts.

I also have a nice work bench / spray bench area planned so I'm not constantly moving stuff around to detail Locos or do weathering.

I may just start a thread entitled; One Mans Model Railway Room. as that would cover the build, fitting out, electrics, storage and then the building of he Layouts etc.

Its good to see you back on line, and back to Normal, whatever NORMAL is up in your loft, hahhahah.

All the best,

• Like 9

Cheers Jaz, still looking at Buildings at the moment, some people that have seen the Garage say it must go, whilst others say it can be rescued and made good.

I have a few plans drawn up from before the Stroke and so I have a fair idea as to what I want.

I have such a variety of stock and interests that I need two Layouts. I like to work to a schedule when running for realistic trains and operation so hence the need for two Layouts.

I also have a nice work bench / spray bench area planned so I'm not constantly moving stuff around to detail Locos or do weathering.

I may just start a thread entitled; One Mans Model Railway Room. as that would cover the build, fitting out, electrics, storage and then the building of he Layouts etc.

Its good to see you back on line, and back to Normal, whatever NORMAL is up in your loft, hahhahah.

All the best,

I think that would over your work perfectly, then even if you add more exhibition layouts they can all be updated in one place. Perhaps a little higgedly piggedly but it keeps peoples interest high....change is good a s a rest.

I am sure the garage can be saved, you just have to work out at what cost, and whether you want t stick and update or jump ship.

Plus Dee might be interested to know if you can make it look nice, as sitting in the garden is clearly of interest to her. Cladding it with roses etc might be an option, ivy and boston ivy will break in through the windows and in time need a lot of cutting back and taming. you only need the sides to look nice. And too much over growth on the roof could present a weight problem. Adding a wood structure to ties roses to could be a good option. A grape might be nice...especially as once in a while they might get enough sun to be edible. It will suffer in a bad winter but recover as long as you protect the roots. DO NOT put roots within 18inches in case they effect the base. Roses again rarely structures. Queen Elizabeth II has beautiful pink heads, technically not a  climber but would cover most of a shed, and tends t one very good for large numbers of flower heads, and colour throughout summer and early autumn. You could put planters in front and pop spring bulbs etc in there. .......yes yes you need a thread......

If it costs a thousand to get rid of.....thats a fair investment to consider a make over with. Again discussing that might prove of value. and a great starting point for One Mans Model RailWay Room.

A couple of people have asked about the problem with my hand(s).

Just so you know the doctor has had a good look at it/them. and we had a good discussion.

He says it is not a carpel tunnel syndrome issue. He has also discounted the related elbow issue...which Kal does in deed suffer from and been offered an operation but as he needs to work another 20 years or so, and as the operation has been known to leave people worse of he has taken, and the doctor says he understands the choice, the decision to NOT have that operation, as his livelihood depends on him typing.

There was some concern that it might have been a diabetes problem. But after all the blood tests (shudders) it appears that together with my recent weight lost of a stone that I do not have to worry about that either.

So the doctors thinks that the numbness and pins and needles which can effect both hand and is noticeable only in the mornings when I wake up, and the pain in the thumb(s) which he has established is not a muscular weakness is he believes caused by my sleeping at night with closed folded fists....he says he believes it is straining and stressing the muscles, and in effect I am squeezing the bit that are damaged by people who suffer from carpel tunnel syndrome.He believes if I can stop sleeping with my hands clenched in fists and curved inwards it will allow them to recover. And that the pain in the thumb(s) are part of this. I think he was pleased that I had recently noticed the pain in my right hand (I'm left handed) as it was unlikely to be damage). He also discounted several other reasons that I had not even worried about. So he has sent a letter of to the physiotherapist department? at the local hospital asking for me to be fitted with wrist supports...or in my case restraints. I should use them at night to try and break the clenched fist cycle...... and he clearly believes this will result in a serious improvement. He says once the cycle is broken I won't need to wear them any more either, and can keep them in case i return to the bad habit.

Anyway I like his theory as it means it is fixable, so I just need to get that letter, for an appointment, a measure then a fit and hopefully in time there will be an improvement.

Meantime (cross fingers) the problem has not hindered me per say with modelling...although I do have trouble pressing hard for the purposes of cutting. (this does lead to my left thumb particularly hurting me) But not a serious issue.

I have been advised to lesson the weight in my handbag :angel:

And there's good news he says all my other tests (baring a repeat for my raised antibodies count) have all come back as good or excellent for someone of my age. So I think you are basically stuck with me and my diarroahectic verbosity for the immediate and possible long haul future.......... Poor Kal :jester:

• Like 2

Wow   ..................

Plus Dee might be interested to know if you can make it look nice, as sitting in the garden is clearly of interest to her. Cladding it with roses etc might be an option, ivy and boston ivy will break in through the windows and in time need a lot of cutting back and taming. you only need the sides to look nice. And too much over growth on the roof could present a weight problem. Adding a wood structure to ties roses to could be a good option. A grape might be nice...especially as once in a while they might get enough sun to be edible. It will suffer in a bad winter but recover as long as you protect the roots. DO NOT put roots within 18inches in case they effect the base. Roses again rarely structures. Queen Elizabeth II has beautiful pink heads, technically not a  climber but would cover most of a shed, and tends t one very good for large numbers of flower heads, and colour throughout summer and early autumn. You could put planters in front and pop spring bulbs etc in there. .......yes yes you need a thread......

.......................    you will need more than a thread for all that lot and I thought you might want a rest - so   .........................    how about a Gardener too  ......................

...    it could be called  ...   "How to Thread a Railway through a Garden."    ............

..........    or add some Chickens too and call it  - "The Well-Hen Garden City Railway."   .....

Now it really is time to find the nice friendly lady in the White coat, with all those nice Sweeties, she lets me have  ........     :bye:  ..   :crazy:

Whilst continuing the painting of the concrete sleepers reinforced wall it occurred to me.....

This is Kalborough

And Kal needs his birthday present

So perhaps to mark his birthday I should mark Kalborough

so we need some graffiti.....

So I finished the basic colour. Still loads to do.

But then went and got a some reference off good old google and bing, and then grabbed a pencil and some citadel colours

med_gallery_17883_2760_542698.jpgrmweb2113kal98

decided straight off to run with a on fire theme

med_gallery_17883_2760_533468.jpgrmweb2114kal99

med_gallery_17883_2760_323524.jpgrmweb2115kal100

med_gallery_17883_2760_154606.jpgrmweb2116kal101

• Like 4

some flames

med_gallery_17883_2760_303864.jpgrmweb2121kal106

step back to check it is working

med_gallery_17883_2760_388539.jpgrmweb2122kal107

and why not a reflection

med_gallery_17883_2760_89043.jpgrmweb2123kal108

and some white for bright heat

med_gallery_17883_2760_710450.jpgrmweb2124kal109

and the step back view....need to go test it o the layout of course.....

med_gallery_17883_2760_4882.jpgrmweb2125kal110

• Like 7

I was thinking .......Normally once you have one piece of Graffiti....it just tends to set others off.......

If anyone would like their initials..... or a specific idea added on the wall of flame...hall of fame....LOL.....feel free to ask.

you can look for a graffiti style and the letters or words.....and I will attempt to pop them up, close ups in case anyone want them for their Avatar can then be arranged... :sungum:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Happy Birthday Kal, have a good time.

Just caught up, dodgy internet connection-lets hope this posts.

Jaz,

Lets hope the physio sorts your hands out.  My wife's hands go to sleep at night, pins and needles, but without any pain so it is probably different.  All the best.

Happy Birthday Kal, have a good time.

Just caught up, dodgy internet connection-lets hope this posts.

Jaz,

Lets hope the physio sorts your hands out.  My wife's hands go to sleep at night, pins and needles, but without any pain so it is probably different.  All the best.

Ah...well I have had the problem on and off for a couple of years with thins and needles......I hang them below my heart to get the blood pumped in.......usually in the morning off the side of the bed. The thumbs are much more recent. Long before this issue with the thumb(s). I would say next time she visits the doctor to ask the question. Why suffer if a doctor can help you out. I personally have only been in hospital twice...to have two sons....and prefer to keep a good distance from medicines etc....but advice from a doctor is often well worth paying attention to. I point out I don't fancy drugs and they often give you advice instead of a prescription. As drugs are just poisons....I do my best t ovoid them. I could NEVER be a druggy far to squeamish....one look at a needle and I am ready t o run for the hills.

• Like 1

Happy birthday Kal. Evening Jaz, I'm sure that I'm not alone in wishing you well with the hands - hope the doctors diagnosis is proved right! All that fantastic modelling needs a fully functioning body!!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Premium

I'm glad I read this because like a dumb tit I almost went to bed without taking one of my insulins! Thanks.

Good to see you posting Andy, Hope you're not pushing yourself matey.

Nice job on the graffiti Jaz, Andy Y. will be handing you out an ASBO next, it's that good!

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 1

Hi

Kal (& Jaz!),

Another one from LL who's trying to keep up, sorry I'm so late!

Anyway, just realised we share our birthday so many happy returns for yesterday! Trouble is, the nights start drawing in now!!! BOO!!!

I will keep looking in from time to time, the layout is looking brilliant, well done to both of you.

Cheers from Greece,

John E.

Hi Kal / Jaz

Happy belated birthday wishes for yesterday mate. Any nice new shiny loco's appeared at all???

Jaz's graffiti is rather good. Better than some of the real stuff I see when I'm out and about. Was there some sort of mis spent youth you're not telling us about. LOL.

Cheers

Marcus