Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

We are once again poring over photos, trying to get the waiting room side of Goathland correct, Kal is quite observant and has twice corrected my assumptions -correctly- so just as well we are working on this together, so we can help each other watch out for all the factors.. It is slow going, the peco track cannot perfectly copy the real thing, so a compromise, the buildings are not really 1:76, (ref page 17 onwards where we compared buildings and real thing). so a compromise, there is a hill a plateau then more hill, so we are trying to work out how to make it look good from as many angles as possible, a compromise, and the wall along the back and past the old mining part has hardly any photos, so a compromise, the back wall certain has several different heights, plus we mark it out start rubbing down and rub off the grid, so have to recheck the grid............ very slow work.

We are once again poring over photos, trying to get the waiting room side of Goathland correct, Kal is quite observant and has twice corrected my assumptions -correctly- so just as well we are working on this together, so we can help each other watch out for all the factors.. It is slow going, the peco track cannot perfectly copy the real thing, so a compromise, the buildings are not really 1:76, (ref page 17 onwards where we compared buildings and real thing). so a compromise, there is a hill a plateau then more hill, so we are trying to work out how to make it look good from as many angles as possible, a compromise, and the wall along the back and past the old mining part has hardly any photos, so a compromise, the back wall certain has several different heights, plus we mark it out start rubbing down and rub off the grid, so have to recheck the grid............ very slow work.

very slow work.................. :O Compromising position, to be in,then............ :drag:  :jester: 

• RMweb Premium

so have to recheck the grid............ very slow work.

:paint:      :drag:    :read:       :drag:       :mda:

You'll get there.

Same here in my living room. I'll just have another Irish coffee and then put on my tool belt and see if I can't make a dent in this huge pile of MDF.

(Irish coffees cos it's Christmas week )

Regards Shaun

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

There are lots of details I deliberately left off :mosking:  and quite a few that I never got around to :blush: . Then there's all those compromises :mocking_mini:  and I wont mention the huge blunders :butcher:

Have fun. That's the main point. :sungum:

Edited by Sasquatch

Jaz

Posted Yesterday, 21:47 it is all legal and above board.

:jester:

Skimboarding, sailboarding,Bodyboarding,Kneeboarding, Riverboarding, Wakeboarding Flowboarding,Snakeboard,Carveboarding,Mountainboarding, Kite_landboarding,

Snowboarding, Sandboarding, Hoverboarding.

There's more....................

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Board#Flat_surface........................... :drag:

Strange    ......................   a Sea-farer should miss     ....................

Skimboarding, sailboarding,Bodyboarding,Kneeboarding, Riverboarding, Wakeboarding Flowboarding,Snakeboard,Carveboarding,Mountainboarding, Kite_landboarding,
Snowboarding, Sandboarding, Hoverboarding.

There's more....................
http://en.wikipedia....rd#Flat_surface........................

Overboard   ..........................     :pardon:

Terraforming continues....

We are starting with small pieces, this area is complicated, and we might redo it

med_gallery_17883_2878_264350.jpgrmweb222goathlnad1

however the small parts are working out fairly well, and although it looks very scruffy, the placement is working out

med_gallery_17883_2878_319495.jpgrmweb223goathlnad2

Kal cautiously cut bits and layered them while I flipped through the reference pictures and measured the grid picture

med_gallery_17883_2878_489614.jpgrmweb224goathlnad3

I think he got the rougher end. But it is coming together. It will improve immensely once we are agreed on the terraforming and add some colour.

• Like 6

Then you need to consider the fencing, there is a lot of fencing

There is different type of fencing, mostly black, and some white fencing, and white gates. The black GWR s not too bad. Several manufactures can help out with this.

med_gallery_17883_2878_39358.jpgrmweb225goathlnad4

But, the white gates look as though I have to make them. Luckily acg_mr' s scratchbuilt  cattle grid gives me some pointers...as I suspect I have to scratch build them.

med_gallery_17883_2878_422546.jpgrmweb226goathlnad4

The foam might look messy but actually, it is coming along nicely, the hole however represents, a set of steps and some white fencing, again it looks like I will have to scratch build, either I wait until after Xmas as I have no evergreen for this or I am cutting 30 and 40 thou strips like an idiot.

med_gallery_17883_2878_422546.jpgrmweb226goathlnad5

The extension building is a pig, at the front there is the curve at the back no curve. Either I will need to make up a buffer and match the stone, PIR? Or I will have to slide it backward and forwards as appropriate for pictures. Am still contemplating which.

med_gallery_17883_2878_456011.jpgrmweb227goathlnad6

post 15 copied from The Lofty Heights by Silky_Jack

23mmxlj.jpg

Post 123 copied from The Lofty Heights by Silky_Jack, picture by mkwolf1877

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section

post127 from The lofty Heights / Silky_Jack, picture by mkwolf1877

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section

post151 from The lofty Heights by Silky_Jack

o7rti1.jpg

same

30j5vdj.jpg

These pictures have been invaluable, for anyone wanting to check them out on the original thread, a link to post 1 of the Lofty Heights

link http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/73878-the-lofty-heights/&do=findComment&comment=1095071

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

Hi Both,

even looking at these pictures with the rough cut foam, the idea is already evident ...........  very skillful   .......     :sungum:

There is a lovely shape/form developing, very much like the real pictures.

I think he got the rougher end.

That rather raises the question         ......................

"would that be straight or folded?"

Back to serious - the foam seems to be a real bonus materiel .......................... :imsohappy:

med_gallery_17883_2878_456011.jpg......

Re:Building's extension curve

One suggestion up for offer..............How have others' tackled,the building's extention curve ?

I would be tempted to mark out,the buildings bases,on the pir, remove them to the work bench,

adhere to x-thou. plasti card.covering all of the building bases

Once dried,pack the gap's, then give them a layer of.........

Deluxe Materials......Create and Shape..................................wet and scribe in brickwork to match then weather.

Cut ot base size in pir,replace building's...........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1Cc-1xuL2mI

• Like 1

Sasquatch

You went further, you floated yours at the platform height, and build the base up yourself. We were very impressed with that, and the added post box. And I suspect many people had not even realised, the match was so good. Your posts 12 and 17 were of great interest to us.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=235065

• RMweb Premium

The whole station area is one piece of 1/4" MDF cut out with a jigsaw and pinned onto the ribs I forgot to add another 1/4" under the platforms to compensate for the cork underlay. A mistake I wont make twice :derisive:

You can see the ribs. The foam at back is stuck onto the MDF and underneath at front. 

post-8964-0-00961700-1387787097.jpg

• Like 1