Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Goathland water pump....or iso it?

apologies forth poor focus, forgot the light was not good, and so bad pictures.

add the copper, and 3 pieces of cut copper covering 

med_gallery_17883_2878_420719.jpgrmweb1751oldloft7

med_gallery_17883_2878_525604.jpgrmweb1752oldloft8

adding later to the bar copper to make the width correct.

med_gallery_17883_2878_385755.jpgrmweb1753oldloft9

apologies again for the poor pictures, but you get the basic idea.

The second water pump is NOT an exact match for the first.

• Like 10

Dave,

(Sorry I'm a Phizzypop).  Is the 11.82 from the maths or is it empirical?

(I suppose I ought to sit down with the equations and work it out from first principles.)

Couldn't say for sure. I would imagine it's empirical. I wouldn't want to have to derive it from first principles, G and radial acceleration...and all that... :swoon:  :banghead:

Can't imagine anybody not liking super-elevation Jaz !! :hunter:

Dave

• Like 2

More interesting modeling Jaz :paint: great work buddy..

Thanks Kal made the hard bit, me and a dremmel would be a disaster.....darling LOL

He originally shaped the copper as well and put a DAS ball on the end. But he had to work, so I said I would do the copper bit as he had already done the hard bit and worked out the how to go about it. So his conception, I and his shaping of the upright...I am happily finishing it off, if he doesn't try to come and reclaim it... :triniti: ..... :jester:

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 2

I did try Citadel colours with Warlock Purple. but it did't work,

it is mostly Citadel evil suns scarlet a dab of enchanted blue (not too much or it goes purple) and some humbrol acrylic white 34 to lighten it, I have to paint it slightly lighter as when it dries it darkens a bit. I slap the red on then dip the brush just into the blue then add at least double the white and mix it on the model, add more white and adding a touch of water to help the colours to mix. So 97 percent red 1 percent blue 2 percent white (and as it fires it need more say 4 percent)

I don't think my mixing of colours would be particularly easy to copy. And the colour ALWAYS looks a better much under electric lights than natural light, and the stinker is frying to dark now, luckily it needs a recoat anyway, as I have smoothed the pipe again (I forgot to do it last night...working whilst tired is not really s good idea)

• Like 1

I did try Citadel colours with Warlock Purple. but it did't work,

it is mostly Citadel evil suns scarlet a dab of enchanted blue (not too much or it goes purple) and some humbrol acrylic white 34 to lighten it, I have to paint it slightly lighter as when it dries it darkens a bit. I slap the red on then dip the brush just into the blue then add at least double the white and mix it on the model, add more white and adding a touch of water to help the colours to mix. So 97 percent red 1 percent blue 2 percent white (and as it fires it need more say 4 percent)

I don't think my mixing of colours would be particularly easy to copy. And the colour ALWAYS looks a better much under electric lights than natural light, and the stinker is frying to dark now, luckily it needs a recoat anyway, as I have smoothed the pipe again (I forgot to do it last night...working whilst tired is not really s good idea)

Is that sort of like out the fire, into the frying pan?????

(love that auto correct, eh Jaz?)

Funny you call them water pumps - I would have said "water column" or "water crane"...

Nice work, no matter what you want to call it!

Jukebox

your absolutely right what mad nutter designed it to change dries and drying to fries and frying.....

well your probably right because when i google that i get a lot of fire engines..... :jester:

The Water pump is top drawer!  Bet you saved a mint too? :sungum:

Dave

Dave (calling you doughnut seems so rude LOL)

Your also absolutely right, they go for silly money and have done for a couple of years.

The Hornby one regularly goes on ebay for 20-26£ and was only like £7 when originally sold. Hornby missed the boat when they remade the station had they done the pump at the other end, they would have got new buyers and old buyers wanting it as well!!!!

More interesting modeling Jaz :paint: great work buddy..

I can say the same for yours. I often drop in to see what you are unto, and steal ideas....oops I mean copy :angel: . As we were only just agreeing on Doughnuts layout, borrowing and perhaps adapting ideas off fellow modellers is one the fun aspects.

Admitting you done it......only shows how much we admire others work. :sungum:

I started to add the ball at the end, and thickened the curved pipe and painted it, and again late at night and forgot to smooth the finish

med_gallery_17883_2878_142604.jpgrmweb1754goathland1

smoothed the curved area again, continued to build up the ball The grey on the black is to represent the chain on the Hornby one.

need to look at how to do the base area, and check the one I actually need to model....which is where I come across the same problem that hit Saquatch the top of the water crane is NOT the same

med_gallery_17883_2878_313853.jpgrmweb1755goathland2

• Like 4

The Hornby One

2427609_940e5049.jpggeograph.co.uk

They put their hose dead centre not off centre into the train. The little bit to the left is on the flat and not flat as Hornby made it, modellers licence....I think I am going to need some of that licence......

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

Who says ....you really need to research......AAAAArrrrrgggghhhhh!!!!!!

this is the other water crane.........

excuse me while I go dunk my head in some water...................

4359758399_1bec8c8c7e_z.jpg

• Like 4

Ok take a DEEP breath, I have calmed down, before dunking my head. I am going to complete this one ....for the moment ignore that my curved part is COMPLETELY wrong for this end. But address the cone top. Sp a ball a an upright with a cone top, and a incorrect curve, and a single hanging hose, which needs the box under it. 

If it  looks like a dogs acts like a dog, and most people don't know which dog....you can probably get away with murder.....of the dog. plus people can compare our joint version of our model against the Hornby model. Albeit I am doing a box and not the drain that you see at the other end. When finished I'll add the cone. And move on for now, and perhaps revisit it at a later time. When some rivet counter (no offence) comes and points it out...and I can't stand the error anymore.

I am off to the kitchen.....I think there's some wine in the fridge....I plan to chill out.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 2

Ok take a DEEP breath, I have calmed down, before dunking my head. I am going to complete this one ....for the moment ignore that my curved part is CMPLETELY wrong for this end. But address the cone top. Sp a ball a an upright with a cone top, and a incorrect curve, and a single hanging hose, which needs the box under it. 

If it is looks like a dogs, acts like a dog, and most people don't know which dog....you can probably get away with murder.....of the dog. plus people can compare our joint version of our model against the Hornby model. Albeit I am doing a box and not the drain that you see at the other end. When finished I'll add the cone. And move on for now, and perhaps revisit it at a later time. When some rivet counter (no offence) comes and points it out...and I can't stand the error anymore.

I am off to the kitchen.....I think there's some wine in the fridge....I plan to chill out.

Now that does sound like a plan, I'll bring the glasses and a packet of crisps, haha.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Jaz, you've made a wonderful job of the water cranes, and they look fantastic.

Moreover, they look like water cranes, so don't go knocking yourself out about minute detail differences.

They look good, and you can always tweak things later.

Cheers,

Al.

• Like 1

Jaz, Al's right they are wonderful and 99% of modellers on here would be proud to own them.

Can I put an order in for 250 please? to sell on at a HUGE profit of course.

• Like 2

Who says ....you really need to research......AAAAArrrrrgggghhhhh!!!!!!

this is the other water crane.........

excuse me while I go dunk my head in some water...................

4359758399_1bec8c8c7e_z.jpg

Don't you just hate it when that happens!!  A nice glass or 2 sounds like a excellent way to start rectifying things though!

(ps. Dave or doughnut...i dont mind. After all, doughnuts are delish!) :imsohappy:

• Like 1

The red the white and the blue

The red

med_gallery_17883_2878_34435.jpgrmweb1756goatlhand3

the blue...actually about 10 percent

med_gallery_17883_2878_246511.jpgrmweb1757goathland4

mixed

med_gallery_17883_2878_264414.jpgrmweb1758goathland5

the white

med_gallery_17883_2878_363152.jpgrmweb1759goathland6

mixed a lighter shade, because it should darken as it dries

med_gallery_17883_2878_173391.jpgrmweb1760goathland7

• Like 4

At times like this i wish i had a lathe, trying to turn the wood in one hand while holding the dremmel in the other makes it a bit more rough than i wanted, im just Happy i didnt need to do it in 2mm

• Like 2

At times like this i wish i had a lathe, trying to turn the wood in one hand while holding the dremmel in the other makes it a bit more rough than i wanted, im just Happy i didnt need to do it in 2mm

Just a wild thought, probably wont work, but would it be possible to hammer a thickish nail in the end of the piece of wood, as centrally as possible, then insert said nail & wood into the dremel and turn it with say a file or something, as you would a lathe? Shoot me down if its a daft idea?? :hunter:

Dave