What to do?

PhilH

• RMweb Gold

I went up in the loft today to check that the spiders hadn't eaten the thing which lurks up there - it's the roundy roundy which once upon a time seemed like a good idea. All I wanted was somewhere where I could run Bulleid Pacifics with 9 on, um, round and round.

Now time has moved on, and it doesn't seemed so satisfying. I don'r really have the time, patience or inclination to try and make it into something fantastic (as displayed daily on this forum) nor, in all probability, the skills to do so.

So, what to do? I am really undecided. Problem is I've also spent a small fortune on 40 odd locos (all DCC), 75 odd coaches and nigh on a hundred wagons to play with on this layout, as well as loads of time. 

I'm not really asking people to make up my mind for me, just thinking out loud - maybe posting this blah and a few pictures from the mobile phone will help the decision process somehow, I just don't know.

post-6683-0-60306300-1369663590_thumb.jpg

post-6683-0-26695500-1369663619_thumb.jpg

post-6683-0-93761200-1369663864_thumb.jpg

post-6683-0-58138000-1369664014_thumb.jpg

post-6683-0-19326100-1369664052_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I went up in the loft today to check that the spiders hadn't eaten the thing which lurks up there - it's the roundy roundy which once upon a time seemed like a good idea. All I wanted was somewhere where I could run Bulleid Pacifics with 9 on, um, round and round.

Now time has moved on, and it doesn't seemed so satisfying. I don'r really have the time, patience or inclination to try and make it into something fantastic (as displayed daily on this forum) nor, in all probability, the skills to do so.

So, what to do? I am really undecided. Problem is I've also spent a small fortune on 40 odd locos (all DCC), 75 odd coaches and nigh on a hundred wagons to play with on this layout, as well as loads of time. 

I'm not really asking people to make up my mind for me, just thinking out loud - maybe posting this blah and a few pictures from the mobile phone will help the decision process somehow, I just don't know.

attachicon.gif20130527_142247.jpg

attachicon.gif20130527_142124.jpg

attachicon.gif20130527_142015.jpg

attachicon.gif20130527_142328.jpg

attachicon.gif20130527_142519.jpg

attachicon.gif20130527_142247.jpg

attachicon.gif20130527_142124.jpg

attachicon.gif20130527_142015.jpg

attachicon.gif20130527_142328.jpg

attachicon.gif20130527_142519.jpg

Keep going it looks brilliant.

In the second shot if that shunting engine was at the head of a track recovery train it would look like a closed station, just add weeds....

edit

That was meant as a compliment, it has obviously been well planned  as it looks like a railway even though only partly finished.

I was strangely reminded of Sheffield Victoria, after closure, 

cheers

Phil the layout looks fine,as mentioned you have probably lost your mojo. My own layout is in my lounge (i live by myself so no one to please but me)I haven't touched it for a good few months I just can't get motivated.I am doing a bit of work building stock etc and generally playing about.I am determined to get stuck in again and no doubt I will at some point .I did a bit last week I had to I had a guest round to dinner so had to tidy up LoL.The layout raised a couple of comments and at least I found out my friend is a semi pro photographer and she actually agreed to help me photoshop some backscenes (Result!!).When I actually get that far. 

Don't give up,leave it go away and do something else and see what happens,-Simon

I think it looks great! Its a lot more advanced scenery wise than my modest roundy roundy! You do not say if you have it running yet, if not I would suggest  just to get the main running lines going, so you can run some trains. Even if the points are not working the sight of the trains speeding past is bound to provide inspiration!

• RMweb Gold

There is some superb modelling on this forum and no doubt many of us (definitely including me) can't ever aspire to those standards although it can be fun trying.  OK so at times it is very trying but it's still fun and that we should never forget - it's fun (alright maybe not all the time but definitely some of the time) and we all can possibly better our past achievements by a little bit more if we try..

Roundies have a lot going for them in my view - you can actually watch trains go by and what can ever be better than that?  Just enjoy it mate - that's why you built it, and it does look quite suitable for Bulleids.

Looks pretty good to me.  In fact looks very good.  I had a couple of years when I did almost nothing on my layout and for a while did think about ripping it all out and starting again.  Fast fwds about 6 years and i am so pleased i didn't rip it up.  Whilst what i have is not perfect and some rebuilding will take place, it is not bad and lets me do what i want.  Further, as I have got older i am finding all kinds of new pleasures in the layout as I do upgrade and try to improve on what I started 25 years ago.   If you did decide to break it up you would only get pennies on the dollar  for much of your stuff and zero on your work.  So, if nothing else, suggest you simply let things hibernate some more.  What you got to lose

I know what you mean by the "roundy roundy", it can get a bit boring. That's why when my son wanted a new layout we decided to build Kyle of Lochwilliam,  What I have found, that in doing this, its recharged the interest in the loft. In fact I was up there this morning clearing the track and had a bit of a running session. If space and finance allow perhaps try a smaller project like a small Steam depot for  all those Bullied Pacifics. Whatever you decide I hope your mojo returns.

Good luck

Marcus 

P.S By the way the layout looks great, so persevere.

• RMweb Premium

1   . I don'r really have the time, patience or inclination to try and make it into something fantastic (as displayed daily on this forum)   nor,in    all probability, the skills to do so.

2     So, what to do? I am really undecided. Problem is I've also spent a small fortune on 40 odd locos (all DCC), 75 odd coaches and nigh on a hundred wagons to play with on this layout, as well as loads of time. 

3    I'm not really asking people to make up my mind for me, just thinking out loud - maybe posting this blah and a few pictures from the mobile phone will help the decision process somehow, I just don't know.

1  Then dont , make it as good as you can do and if it falls short of some layouts on here so what .  The one my mate and I are doing

is being done for us and us alone , it will never be magazine material but it will be our little world . I've gone through periods like yours

with get up and go gone , but eventually an idea forms and I get started again .

2  Whats the rush , you have stock , thats a plus , you have spent time , thats a plus , from the photos you have a good ammount

done already , thats a plus too . Take a break for as long as you need , you dont have a deadline  to meet and then go in with new

ideas about what you are trying to achieve or how you expect to operate or how you see the scenic side developing , this may be a

kick start to progressing things .

3  Only you can make the final decision Phil , but from what shows in the photos it looks to good to be stopped now .

• RMweb Premium

Looks pretty good to me so don't scrap it ,clearly loads of work done as well, and the world needs Bulleid pacifics  with long trains to make it a better place .

I would join in suggesting trying something small ,really small, to get your mojo back . There are loads of great little layouts on this site for inspiration or try the late and wonderful Carl Ardent's micro layout site , or maybe pop down to Ikea and buy an Apa storage box and see how that tiny space inspires you.

My own ( very slow but satisfying ) small project is Portsea Town a secondary urban southern terminus , I do loose my mojo but its so easy to make real progress whens compact layout is involved.

Hope that helps

Just to echo what other have said, it looks great, the track look really well laid, beautifully ballasted, which a lot of people find very hard, and I would have thought that when you are in the mood, it will be an awful lot of fun to run.

If this main layout is in a bit of a lull for you, could you put in a little branch add something like the depot suggested above, or a little factory, brewery, creamery, coal/tin mine, quarry.

You could add something a bit different, a football ground, or some thing that could be played with alongside the trains, a preserved branch line, trams, narrow gauge.

Do you know other modellers nearby, or are part of a club, maybe ask someone to collaborate on running the stock, or even start some joint work on the layout?

Alternatively take a break, you have the layout to go back to, but maybe you just need to give it a little break and come back when you are tempted. You will have a really good layout to come back to when you are ready.

Jamie

If you find just running trains round and round is what is putting you off why don't you add some operational interest like spliting trains etc, just doing some research about the operation at Exeter (lots of Bullieds) might get your mojo back.

• RMweb Gold

Bags of trains bashing round a roundy has a lot going for it as a concept, and, as others have said, your results on the station and scenic side are by no means shabby. Is it possible to disguise the roundy so it becomes a principal station - through which you can operate a realistic timetable? Knowing how you spend your leisure time - on the footplate of a preserved line - makes you particularly aware that trains go from here to there, and have a purpose. Look at adding that purpose to what you already have, and you might be surprised at the extra value & fun you suddenly find.

That's a lovely layout Phil, and you've already achieved a lot more than I have.

I regularly "loose my mojo" and go for long periods without modelling.  Probably something to do with having too many hobbies!

Hi Phil,

It seems you've got bored with the whole thing. Time for a change, I guess. Sell it on and do something useful, something less selfish, maybe. I know you said you didn't want others to make up your mind for you, but I don't think you will be satisfied with what you have set out to do, and there are no laws that say you have to be right first time (at least not in playing with toy trains).

Best wishes,

Ray

The layout looks fantastic - maybe some level of automatic control such as station stops or shuttles by a DMU would help you enjoy it. This would enable you to sit back with a drink and watch your little world run itself, without having to concentrate on twiddling the controller...

Good luck with what looks like a great project.

• RMweb Gold

Well, thank you all very much indeed for your comments and encouragement.

It is a running layout, all the electrics, points etc. wired up and working, so I suppose the next step might well be to put some stock on the layout and get a couple of Bulleids with 9 on running round (when I do I'll post some pics). There is scope for other activity on the layout - the other station pictured is round the branch which will have (maybe) some sort of quay scene depicted. Also not pictured is a four road goods yard which should offer scope for shunting etc., so if you throw in the loco shed and turntable it should make for some variety.

I've always seen it as a sort of Oxford, with engine changes etc., and not necessarily confined to Southern motive power.

Thanks again for showing interest, this thread has at least, and at last, started me thinking 'Well, perhaps...' again.

looks like a fantastic layout and it looks as tho you have worked very hard on it too.i lost the mojo about a month ago and decided to dismantle half of the layout which i only just built and have regretted it ever since.a month on and i finally got my mojo back and went into the loft over the weekend and started to rebuild what i destroyed.

dont destroy all the hard work and time you have put into it and sell off your expensive locos as you will one day want to get back into it and you will have to start the expensive hobby all over again.

plus its something to take your mind of other things and place to relax and enjoy your hard work.

terry

The passion may fade from time to time but I don't believe it ever dies.  Don't sell yourself short your layout is just as good as the many others on here.  Looks like you have put a lot of time and effort into it. Get some locos running :) and don't forget to take some more snaps. 

Good luck with your endeavours. 

Scott 

Archived