NRM Exclusive Edition - 47798 'Prince William'

Andy Y

EXCLUSIVE EDITION – “NATIONAL COLLECTION IN MINIATURE” SERIES

CLASS 47 NO. 47798 PRINCE WILLIAM

pic1.jpg

Locomotion: The National Railway Museum at Shildon is delighted to announce the release of the NRM’s latest Exclusive Edition in the “National Collection in Miniature” model railway series produced by Bachmann.

The finely detailed, DCC ready model of Class 47 No. 47798 Prince William (32-815Z) carries Royal Train livery and is painted in the claret of the Royal Household. It comes complete with separate etched “Prince William” nameplates and a large selection of detailed fittings.

The model will be available from June 2013, being released in time for the expected birth of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s first child.

This is a fitting time for the model’s launch, particularly as HRH The Prince of Wales is the Patron of the National Railway Museum’s Mallard 75 current programme, celebrating the 75th anniversary of A4 class locomotive Mallard’s steam locomotive world speed record.

The Class 47 No. 47798 Prince William model is available exclusively through the museum’s online outlet at locomotionmodels.com, and from the museum shop at Locomotion: The National Railway Museum at Shildon.

The locomotive is competitively priced at £110 plus p&p, but there are also two special offers available up to the announcement of the Royal birth – an early bird offer of just £105 with free UK mainland delivery for customers who pay in full before the release date; and an offer of £110 with free UK mainland delivery from stock availability, up to the Royal birth.

The Class 47 No. 47798 Prince William model is limited to only 500 pieces, and so early ordering is advised.

pic2.jpg

If you would like more information, please contact locomotionmodels.com by telephone on 01388 771439 or email queries@locomotionmodels.com

• RMweb Gold

Excellent, just ordered one, apparently im the first!!

Driven the real thing a few times while i was doing my training so it had to be had, the nice lady said its looking like early july for delivery

I presume TomJ meant "do Bachmann ask for it back"

This was reference to DBS being a little annoyed that, having donated the locomotive to the NRM (it was designated by the RHC, but I believe that does not stiuplate donation free of charge), it was seeing revenue service with their rival WCRC. The loco is now, I believe, restricted to NRM operations, rather than general user WCRC work.

As soon as this month's credit card statement has cleared, its going to be ordered. this has been a MUST HAVE, ever since Bachmann released their class 57, and certainly ever since the 47/8s appeared to be more 57 than 47/0 in detail quality!

I must say with the Royal wedding last year I had expected it to be issued by Bachmann then.

em..........the baby or the loco   :sarcastic:

Both are expected in July The model is scheduled for delivery earlier than the baby, which means you can pre-order and save money.

Sandra (the nice lady on the phone) has updated the website for on-line ordering. She was probably too busy answering the phone to do it sooner.

Mike

• RMweb Premium

I've received an email from the NRM announcing the model and inviting an order, presumably as a response to my voting for it in the survey. Don't think I'll order, though, until I see the actual colours - what i presume is a pre-production model in Andy's photo looks good, I'm not convinced by the roof colour (or at least the contrast with the bodysides). I expect Bachmann and the NRM will get it right, but just in case...

• RMweb Premium

Just ordered mine before the Ebay Carpetbaggers get in on the act.  Wonder if we can get someone to do a run of 47799 to match?

I've received an email from the NRM announcing the model and inviting an order, presumably as a response to my voting for it in the survey. Don't think I'll order, though, until I see the actual colours - what i presume is a pre-production model in Andy's photo looks good, I'm not convinced by the roof colour (or at least the contrast with the bodysides). I expect Bachmann and the NRM will get it right, but just in case...

The loco in the press release photos is one of the production run. Several were delivered ahead of time for publicity and presentation purposes, one of these is in the display case at Shildon from today. The demarcation between the bodyside and roof colours is in contrast, and in the correct colours. Those that are interested should buy one now, or at least get one reserved. Don't leave any for the e-bay profiteers who will flogging them for at least twice the price before the royal baby is out of the hospital.

Mike

the one thing in the picture that no-one has pointed out yet is the lack of an RCH cable on the 2nd mans side, not prototypical i take it?

Plenty of pics on Google with it sporting only a drivers side jumper...though it looks a bit thinner on the real thing!

Apparently 798/799 were not TDM fitted for remote PCV working, the single cable being used for comms with the train behind.

The ebay market really frustrates me here. This looks to be a fantastic model and one with relevance to my future plans, but its not something I can afford right now. I just hope that there are future runs of this model so that I can get my hands on it at a better time for me without paying the astronomical ebay prices!

I was going to say that the 'by royal appointment' and EIIR plates should, I thinkm be claret backed, not black backed.

According to this picture at railfest in 2004 (second down)

http://www.the-siding.co.uk/class47b/pages/47798.htm

However according to this pic (taken it seems in 2011) they have been painted black.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ravensthorpe/5550357548/

So the model would appear correct, but the loco itself maybe less so!

When and where were the plates repainted? Did the loco have a full repaint before she re-entered traffic with the NRM/WCRC?

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to the confirmation of the accuracy of the colours, I've now ordered. BTW, the helpful lady I spoke to made it very clear that my credit card would be debited immediately. Very good to see they warn you - other retailers have been more opaque on this issue.

Bother - the yellow on the nose should not run onto the area below the window, it should stop on the curve from the 'flat' front to the raked front.

Pitty these are not pre-production images whereby corrections can be made. Silly error.

Interestingly it would be correct on 47799, where the yellow did go round the curve and along the top 'ledge' of the nose.

Also RCH jumper should be a dfferent shape to a normal 47/7, th bottom bracket being angled not straight. But given this would necessitate a one off tool, that can be forgiven.

Livery slip less so...

I wonder how easy it will be to match the claret paint.

Is it just the actual name plates that are coming etched with this or do we get the other plates as well?

Having e-mailed Sandra (the nice/helpful lady) at Locomotion. It would appear that the Nameplates are etched and the others are tampo printed, all with a black background. Brian Hanson at Shawplan has probably done the plates, and am sure will be able to supply in claret.

If anyone wants any further photos I can call at Locomotion on Thursday to oblige.

Mike

Dennis Lovett has emailed me a studio shot of the loco which shows the printed plates and other associated printed detail.

47798.jpg

Prince William etched plates are supplied on a fret as a customer fit if they choose to do so.

Archived