66050 'EWS Energy' Limited Edition

martin_l_jones

Just noticed in the back of the Model Rail magazine a Limited Edition Bachmann Class 66 to be commissioned by Lord & Butler of Cardiff.

Nothing on the web site as yet in the Limited Eitions area apart from the Dapol Western but have just spoken to them and they are taking pre-orders for the model which is due for delivery in late 2012 / early 2013. OOPS a daisy, try late 2013 / early 2014 !!!

Will be the only EWS Class 66 to be produced this year by Bachmann, considering there are so many options it's quite surprising really...

(NB: I have no connection to the shop)

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Since limited editions by their nature a shorter production runs, they need to have something extra to reflect the higher price that wil be charged compared to a standard production run with possible retailer discounts on RRP. Hence a namer of perhaps a unique livery variant.

It is unfortunate of course if you want an unnamed 66 in standard EWS livery, but at least you can expect one in the next year or so as a standard production run.

.......they are taking pre-orders for the model which is due for delivery in late 2012 / early 2013.

I'll be getting my Time Machine prepared and tuned up, reading for a trip back to when this LE came out.  :jester:

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

And the prototype has returned to service this week too - it's been out of action for a while, a leg out of bed apparently.

Saw it in kingmoor late last week, a full set of brand new wheels under it too

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting... :) was that in the July edition of Model Rail?

assuming this release is OO, then the only other OO release I know of for a class 66 this year is the preorder that is on the model rail magazine online shop for 66 062 in Euro Cargo Rail livery

Interesting... :) was that in the July edition of Model Rail?

assuming this release is OO, then the only other OO release I know of for a class 66 this year is the preorder that is on the model rail magazine online shop for 66 062 in Euro Cargo Rail livery

It's been in all the mags in the last couple of months and it is most definitely OO gauge.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Another Bachmann EWS Liveried Class 66 to be released by Olivia's 32-725U - 66111 with Highland Stag emblems.

Can see why there wasn't a standard release in 2013/4.

Licensing fees seems to be the main issue.

On a related note, I think that's why there's no other EWS releases, such as a 60 or 67 from Hornby.

Cheers,

Mick

That''s now two of my 66 renumber/repaints that have been done as production stuff...

Blatant video plug of my 66111

• RMweb Gold

Another Bachmann EWS Liveried Class 66 to be released by Olivia's 32-725U - 66111 with Highland Stag emblems.Can see why there wasn't a standard release in 2013/4.

typical, of all the 66s they had to do it was the first ews one i've drove (top and tail with 66067)

DSCF4161.jpg

looks like i'll have to buy one now!

edit: just found 66111 on olivias site, i hope its a pre production model as the 1s look to be spaced too far apart compared to my picture

• RMweb Premium

That''s now two of my 66 renumber/repaints that have been done as production stuff...

Haha yes! I saw that with the Dapol 'N' gauge ones, I'd renumbered a batch of 6 Bachmann EWS 'OO' versions when they came out, and somehow by bad luck Dapol released a version of nearly every single one!!

My main bugbear was with a certain '37' - there was a particular favourite of mine, the first one I ever saw, and had planned to one day model it in a popular current maroon livery of the time, until Bachmann decided to release it, and soon every layout had one - it was of course 37411 facepalm.gif

On the topic of 66050, I've always thought the standard BR font on the nameplates looks a bit odd on the EWS '66', surprising they didn't use the matching Gill Sans plates like on the earlier EWS 66 & 67 namers! 

• 2 months later...

What site are you looking at Martin? There are currently 2 domains registered to Lord and Butler - one with a .com suffix and one with .co.uk

The .com is the old one and has not been updated for a while whilst the the .co.uk is the new one currently being built and is not yet live but hopefully will showcase all their products when it does eventually go live.

The latest press adverts from them still show a Spring 14 eta however so let's hope it's still planned.

Regards

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Overheard them talking about it a couple of weeks ago. Defo still happening, but I think the price will have gone up. Sorry can't be more specific, was trying very hard to resist buying things, and failing . :senile:

Archived