Show us your scratchbuilt building

Greengiant, I saw the first picture and thought mmmm, then saw the next and for a second thought ah the reference picture. Those tones are really well put together, nice bit of action on the water as well. Very believable.

This is my model of the original Millfield station which was the first railway building designed by the famous architect Thomas Prosser. It was replaced by the "new" station in 1890 (see my earlier shot in this thread) and became the stationmaster's house then a builders merchants and eventually a ghastly pub. It was demolished in 2000 for building of the Metro.

31067063.23b412cf.640.jpg

The real thing in 1978.
17368205.01a3f569.640.jpg
Edited by PinzaC55
  • Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

I needed a dog or two that there are no models for. So there was only one option....scratch build a dog at 4mm scale.

Take some thin copper wire, some latex and some paint....and what do you get?

A reindeer? 

med_gallery_17883_3112_32412.jpg

but with more patience you can get this......

A basset hound (the p00dle is an adaption from a LangleyModel)

med_gallery_17883_3112_236911.jpg

Or a Bernese Mountain Dog

med_gallery_17883_3112_268268.jpg

• Like 8

Seeing DaveF's Settle-Carlisle based layout has awoken me from a lethargic period, enough, at least, to post a photo on here'

Looking along the line gives the impression of toy points with their tight radii.

This is Embsay Canal Road station, with a Kirtley 800 class 2-4-0 on stopping passenger duties.

Derek

post-6110-0-57620900-1396452485_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

PinzaC55 I love that millfield building. That's just the sort of model that catches the eye with stark contrasts and crisp lines, while still looking old and authentic. Hats off to you sir!

Also jaz, loving those dogs. Are any of them genuinely scratchbuilt?

Pete

PinzaC55 I love that millfield building. That's just the sort of model that catches the eye with stark contrasts and crisp lines, while still looking old and authentic. Hats off to you sir!

Pete

Sorry for the echo.....

• Like 1

Pete

Pete

Sorry for the echo.....

Check out Arboretum Valley and you can see the step by step pictures......

edit=I later added a link to one of the dogs I built

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/72163-arboretum-valley-terror-from-the-year-5000/page-189&do=findComment&comment=1413963

Edited by Jaz

I needed a dog or two that there are no models for. So there was only one option....scratch build a dog at 4mm scale.

Take some thin copper wire, some latex and some paint....and what do you get?

A reindeer? 

med_gallery_17883_3112_32412.jpg

but with more patience you can get this......

A basset hound (the p00dle is an adaption from a LangleyModel)

med_gallery_17883_3112_236911.jpg

Or a Bernese Mountain Dog

med_gallery_17883_3112_268268.jpg

They look great, but I can't help being reminded of the film 'The Thing' by the first photo.

If you haven't seen 'The Thing' then have a quick look at the Pingu version on the web - http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1eqywz_pingu-s-the-thing_shortfilms - or do a search for 'Pingu the Thing;.

Lovely work.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel

Here is a shot of a few of my cardboard scratch-builds.

In the foreground is the back of my Central Line Underground station, loosely based on Holland Park - complete with my first ghost sign on the wall above the air shaft.

Behind that is my street level rail station with staircases down to platforms adapted from Scalescenes footbridge. This is based on the old Uxbridge Road station where the new Shepherd's Bush Overground station now stands.

In the background is 'The Railway Arms' pub and a row of shops.

post-22490-0-37305800-1396512769.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Good to see your use of a Ghost sign on the building, I think it's underestimated the skill of the signwriter, in producing these works in difficult conditions, cold, wet, heat, and minimal health and safety provision  (if any) and on very difficult surfaces to work on. also working on something that you can't see until you get back down on the ground. all the best Adrian.

ghost-signes.com

looks great, very London

Here are a few photos of an LMS through station, must be 15 years or so ago now, at least since I constructed these.

this is just a part:

post-1241-0-90253800-1396719238.jpg

post-1241-0-06162100-1396719286.jpg

post-1241-0-12628700-1396719316.jpg

post-1241-0-75773500-1396719335.jpg

Edited by Gravy Train
  • Like 7

Hi guys,

I know this is more a structure than a building but I thought I'd give you guys an impression of what a teenager is capable when they're not on the computer!

Let me know what you think,

DRoe96

Most tasty. Can you provide some build details (material, time, construction techniques)?

I assume it's 4mm/ft, correct?

iD

Hi iL Dottore,

You are correct it is 4mm scale.

The track base is plywood with 1/8in cork on to which the track is laid.

The columns hill side is cardboard supported with balsa strips.

The viaduct columns are cardboard turned into boxes then covered with Slater's embossed plasticard and the arch insides are a single sheet of plasticard cut to the right length then curled up and glued into place.

Timewise, taken 3 or 4 months on and off although the lefthand half was built in breaks from revision this week so 10 hours for that half I'd say.

Hope that answers all your queries,

DRoe96

This is one of those "sigh of relief" posts, as it reflects the last building that I need for the current layout. It owes something to the warehouses at Rye in Sussex - but makes no effort to be an accurate representation.

This structure will sit rather prominently at the front on the left hand side and has two functions other than simply filling space. It is a view blocker for the fiddle yard exit and it covers the switches for the turnouts etc. 

Construction is essentially foamboard, with brickpaper on the plinth and then strips of black construction paper for the weatherboard. The roof tiles were made by using coloured construction paper which had been run through the printer. I took a spreadsheet, sized the boxes to match the size and shape of roof tiles and set it to print; computers like doing that sort of thing, whereas it would have taken hours to draw out freehand. The tile strips are then cut out two layers at a time and overlaid to create overlapping strips. Even this - needing each gap to be cut between the tiles - drove me screaming mad and so the reverse sides of the roofs are simple tile paper; nobody is going to get to see them! 

The ground level will be made up to the level of the front door, sloping down so that the loading bay will be at wagon (horse drawn) height. The whole thing will be weathered and blended in with the surrounding goods yard, which is the next little job.  

post-9472-0-10885600-1397507198_thumb.jpg

post-9472-0-58760600-1397507248_thumb.jpg

Best wishes

Eric

Edited by burgundy
  • Like 15