As quoted from:-

"The Official Class 90 Appreciation Group (Member: David Storey)"

"90005 is COMING HOME:

90005 in new GA livery to be dragged from Toton to Crown Point today (31/12/13) by 37609. The tractor is enroute to Toton as I write this message. The duet are showing as leaving at 11:08 and are to go via Tamworth, Bescot and WCML etc."

Seems like good news for all GA fans your new livery on the Class 90 will soon be seen.....

Cheers!
J

• RMweb Gold

There was a VSTP path overnight for it but the 37 (609) hadn't gone up - oops someone missed that. I was hoping it would run late meaning it passed me at day break, but not unsurprisingly that move was caped.

Todays looks more promising :

37609 Light engine Stowmarket - Toton. (0Z37)

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O55335/2013/12/31/advanced

37609 + 90005, Toton - Norwich (0Z90)

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O55487/2013/12/31/advanced

• RMweb Premium

I have one question, sorry if it sounds dumb.

When a loco is released from Toton (or any other such depots) why does it always have to hauled by another loco? Wouldn't it be easier to let that Class 90 run by itself or just couple it on to a train going towards its destination?

If Toton was connected to the 25kV network, then maybe, just maybe.........

Cheers,

Mick

You can always trust a Pendolino to be in the way when something is worth filming/photographing

It was hit and miss at Canley with a 350 on a stopper, someone at the other end of the platform wasn't impressed with the unit's headlight ruining his shot, and I only had a few seconds of tractor before it passed (and someone playing with a chainsaw in the background).

• RMweb Gold

I have one question, sorry if it sounds dumb.

When a loco is released from Toton (or any other such depots) why does it always have to hauled by another loco? Wouldn't it be easier to let that Class 90 run by itself or just couple it on to a train going towards its destination?

mick has answered your question above ref the 90, however i got a shot at toton this morning of a couple of overhauled locos doing just as you asked, coupled to a train ready to return them "home"

i'll post it up later when i fire up the computer

gutted the 37/90 ran early as i was late getting into toton so missed it by 40 or so mins

mick has answered your question above ref the 90, however i got a shot at toton this morning of a couple of overhauled locos doing just as you asked, coupled to a train ready to return them "home"

i'll post it up later when i fire up the computer

gutted the 37/90 ran early as i was late getting into toton so missed it by 40 or so mins

Thank you Jim.... I like a more sensible reply to a lad like me. I don't live in the UK and I am not familiar with the electrified and non-electrified routes.

Cheers,

Mick

Wasn't aware about Toton being non-electrified and still once the loco is under the wires it should be able to move by itself right?? So it basically gets towed all the way home because of a few non-electrified sections......

• RMweb Gold

Wasn't aware about Toton being non-electrified and still once the loco is under the wires it should be able to move by itself right?? So it basically gets towed all the way home because of a few non-electrified sections......

i suppose once its going its going, drs will have been paid for the move regardless so just keep running

although why schenker didnt move it themselves is a strange one to me, trip it to bescot maybe then add it to a service (as there was a l/e 66 toton-bescot not long afterwards!) not that there are many bescot-norwich services anyway, if any

Cheers,

Mick

i suppose once its going its going, drs will have been paid for the move regardless so just keep running

although why schenker didnt move it themselves is a strange one to me, trip it to bescot maybe then add it to a service (as there was a l/e 66 toton-bescot not long afterwards!) not that there are many bescot-norwich services anyway, if any

From memory, I can't remember the last time a freshly painted AC at Toton (and it did smell of paint) wasn't moved back to Crown Point via Crewe Electric or Doncaster, and there is a gauging issue for them east of Nottingham which may just be the paperwork not being updated. Moves back south are usually done from Crewe on the Garston-Wembley car train.

• RMweb Gold

i got a shot at toton this morning of a couple of overhauled locos doing just as you asked, coupled to a train ready to return them "home"

here you go, a couple of 59s in the train consist to move them back south (i assume)

DSCF5989.jpg

Archived