Hornby 2-HAL

exet1095

Apologies if there is already a thread, but I wanted to post this pic I took at the Toyfair yesterday.  Sorry it is out of focus - it was taken on my mobile.  It looks to be a very finely detailed model; there is loots of very fine roof detail, some moulded-on, others fitted separately.

Paul

post-419-0-37403100-1390466629_thumb.jpg

Thanks for posting the pic, Paul. Am almost as excited by this as the 2Bil :imsohappy:

Hornby appear to be fairly advanced with the production - any indication when they would be available?

Mal

Depending on the variant, Hattons are showing this as due on or after 8 August or 5 September.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, looks good. After getting the 2-BIL in BR green I've pre ordered the Maunsell liveried version of the 2-HAL.

Hopefully I can have the 2-HAL, 2EPB and 466 lined up next to each other. 3 generations of EMU! These gaps in the EMU range are slowly but surely being closed. Another positive step by Hornby :)

Depending on how well the Arnold 'Brighton Belle' sells I would hope that the 'Bil' and 'Hal' could be shrunk for N gauge as well... :sungum:

I often wondered why Arnold went in for the 5BEL as their first British N gauge model. I am not sure if they are targeting a collectors market or are they actually trying to penetrate the N gauge market. I would have always imagined that a better and more detailed Class 47 or some other rolling stock would have been a better option. Would have been nice to see some more modern freight wagons or Pullman coaches.

I often wondered why Arnold went in for the 5BEL as their first British N gauge model. I am not sure if they are targeting a collectors market or are they actually trying to penetrate the N gauge market. I would have always imagined that a better and more detailed Class 47 or some other rolling stock would have been a better option. Would have been nice to see some more modern freight wagons or Pullman coaches.

I never wondered that - I just said 'gimme, gimme, gimme' :)

I do agree that N gauge needs some decent steam stock Pullmans (1924- or 1951-type) too...

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I was browsing the Hornby web-site today searching for a service sheet when I came across this one - it's for the forthcoming 2-HAL. 

http://www.Hornby.com/downloads/service-sheets/Hornby-service-sheets-401-450/

I can see a slight difference in the motor coach layout in that the 8-pin DCC socket is next to the motor, rather than at the other end in the lavatory as on the 2-BIL.  The 2-HAL doesn't have one in the motor coach so presumably this is why.

But why does it say at the bottom of the sheet that it was produced in August 2009?  Were Hornby thinking of doing one then and dropped the idea? 

• RMweb Gold

I was browsing the Hornby web-site today searching for a service sheet when I came across this one - it's for the forthcoming 2-HAL. 

http://www.Hornby.com/downloads/service-sheets/Hornby-service-sheets-401-450/

I can see a slight difference in the motor coach layout in that the 8-pin DCC socket is next to the motor, rather than at the other end in the lavatory as on the 2-BIL.  The 2-HAL doesn't have one in the motor coach so presumably this is why.

But why does it say at the bottom of the sheet that it was produced in August 2009?  Were Hornby thinking of doing one then and dropped the idea? 

Possibly or it's just where the footer part of the standard service sheet template hasn't been altered.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hattons email the other day advising expected delivery on or after Tuesday 23rd of September.

I'll believe it when I see it!!  Having said that, I shall be on honeymoon in Scotland at the time so I would rather it was later than that!!

re delivery MRD advise R3260 on 25/09/14 , R3290 on 3/10/14 and R3290A on 9/10/14 - their predictions have been quite good in past (certainly for Hornby delivery updates!!)

Incidentally agree with "toboldlygo" - the spares sheet appears generic/bowdlerized from 2-BIL  - e.g. reference to R3177 requiring a different motorbogie due to colour (R3177 is actually NRM 2-BIL) so not sure how much it is worth reading into it at this stage despite title

• 1 month later...

Hattons email the other day advising expected delivery on or after Tuesday 23rd of September.

I'll believe it when I see it!!  Having said that, I shall be on honeymoon in Scotland at the time so I would rather it was later than that!!

According to their newsletter, now IN STOCK at a certain shop in Cornwall  :)

• RMweb Premium

Noticed Monk Bar Models, York had at least one in stock this afternoon - no idea what version or anything, just noticed a box labelled 2-HAL behind the counter as I was making another purchase...

The latest news email from Rails shows the SR liveried 2 HIL! I know it's just a typo but I couldn't help smirking, all the same!! :D

I am tempted by the SR liveried one - it would go rather nicely with one of the SR liveried 2 BIL bargains from Kernow Models - but I have to be good and wait patiently for the BR liveried version.

The latest news email from Rails shows the SR liveried 2 HIL! I know it's just a typo but I couldn't help smirking, all the same!! :D

I am tempted by the SR liveried one - it would go rather nicely with one of the SR liveried 2 BIL bargains from Kernow Models - but I have to be good and wait patiently for the BR liveried version.

I saw that typo too and though at might be a new Hornby "Market Clever" initiative LOL! I certainly would like one however I will wait for the blue liviried version if one does appear!

XF

Archived