Hornby 2-HAL

exet1095

Guest Centurion

I confess I did not read it and did not recognise the layout on which it stands. I am slightly bemused at the reaction to a question, which has now been clearly answered (and to be honest a pointless question if it states on the blog he took it) so that's a few minutes of wasted life really.

• RMweb Premium

Going back on topic though, the SR livery is interesting. The lack of lining and the use of numerals suggests it might be the 'Maunsell colours applied in the Bulleid style' setup which did occur while the latter Gentleman was still trying to settle on the new look he thought the SR needed. On the other hand towards the end of Maunsells tenure main line stock received a simpler lining style (compare 1336 & 1309 on the Bluebell to see the contrast) and maybe this coincided with a decision to abandon lining on suburban units being produced at that time.

Well then that answers the question and you have agreed with what I have said yet added a disagree? I have said if he took it he owns it, that's obvious.

I was disagreeing that there was any over-reaction which could be considered preposterous.

• RMweb Gold

So would these units not have worn the Malachite green livery. I thought the colour was introduced in 1937. I must admit I'm no expert, but was a little surprised Hornby produced it (and the 2-BIL) in olive green.

The HMRS Livery Register notes that while the Malachite had been developed and demonstrated as early as 1935, following complaints that the olive was too drab, it was 1940 before the colour became general. The HALs were a 1939 introduction, with construction commencing in 1938, and I suggest that if lots of olive was still in the stores, then no Southern Railway paintshop was going to waste it!

• RMweb Gold

Hornby are indeed correct as the first batch of 76 units numbered 2601 to 2676 for the Eastern section electrification extension were introduced in unlined Olive Green with Bulleid style lettering.

It was the second batch numbers 2677 to 2692 that were introduced at the end of 1939 in an experimental light green that eventually became malachite.

• RMweb Gold

Graham, many thanks for that info regarding the first batch. Although they look very nice my wallet needs a break and so I shall wait for the malachite and southern region green ones to come along. Out of interest can anyone say if they have got the correct motor bogie under the trailer cab or is it the same as the ones used under the 2BILs.

Godfrey

• RMweb Gold

Yes the driving trailer power bogie is as far as I am aware correct on the 2 Hal. It is also my understanding that now Hornby have tooled this bogie that it will be used on the newly released 2 Bil's as well but I have not had a chance to check this yet.

• RMweb Premium

Yes the driving trailer power bogie is as far as I am aware correct on the 2 Hal. It is also my understanding that now Hornby have tooled this bogie that it will be used on the newly released 2 Bil's as well but I have not had a chance to check this yet.

Comments on the 2-BIL thread suggest it hasn't, unfortunately.

If Hornby are using the 2-BIL Chassis and Underframe for the 2-HAL, it would be interesting to find out whether the missing Compressor has been added to the U/f equipment. This vital piece is present on the Brighton Belle model and Hornby have been informed of it's absence on the 2-BIL...

• RMweb Gold

Graham, many thanks for that info regarding the first batch. Although they look very nice my wallet needs a break and so I shall wait for the malachite and southern region green ones to come along. Out of interest can anyone say if they have got the correct motor bogie under the trailer cab or is it the same as the ones used under the 2BILs.

Godfrey

That's an interesting point,Godfrey. Are Hornby planning to produce one in malachite green as opposed to BR(SR) green ?

• RMweb Gold

That's an interesting point,Godfrey. Are Hornby planning to produce one in malachite green as opposed to BR(SR) green ?

Sorry I have absolutely no idea Ian; I just made the (perhaps optimistic) assumption that Hornby, in some future time slot, would want to do it to get the most out of their investment. I have the Southern Region green one on order, which I gather it's due in October. I will go and consult the article by John Atkinson and Colin Watts in the latest edition of Southern Ways ( No 27) and see if it throws any further light on the dates of the different liveries.

Godfrey

Answering a previous question, the 2 BIL in blue, unit 2086, has the incorrect motor bogie frame on the driving trailer. I can foresee a market with the spares suppliers for the correct 2 HAL version to retro-fit to 2 BILs.

• RMweb Premium

Sorry I have absolutely no idea Ian; I just made the (perhaps optimistic) assumption that Hornby, in some future time slot, would want to do it to get the most out of their investment. I have the Southern Region green one on order, which I gather it's due in October. I will go and consult the article by John Atkinson and Colin Watts in the latest edition of Southern Ways ( No 27) and see if it throws any further light on the dates of the different liveries.Godfrey

Be careful what you wish for

When Hornby announced they were going to produce their excellent Maunsell stock in Malachite lots of people were very happy - until the said models turned up. Despite Hornby's protestations to the contrary, the shade of green we actually got looked extremely similar to BR (S) green and nothing like what people were expecting to see (and I'm sure that this is one of the reasons the aforementioned coaches were slow sellers*).

Thus unless Hornby actually revisit their choice of Malachite you may well find a re-spay necessary anyway, while their version of Maunsell's olive is correct.

* It's interesting to note that when Hornby produced their Maunsell open 3rd, they only offered it in Olive and BR (S) and chose to skip the Malachite and Crimson & Cream options both of which have been poor sellers in livery terms.

I have just received an email from Model Railways Direct, to say my order (Jan 2014) has been picked - will probably get a further email to say its been shipped - I can only assume it's the 2-HAL in BR (S) Green.  The 2014 models are certainly starting to come through at a rate of knots - this will be my third this month. I have just noticed that R3290A is being shown now as out of stock.

To confirm Bulleidboy100's post, I've just got back from my local model shop, and they had received another Hornby shipment today. They had only partly unpacked but R3290A which is the 2-HAL in BR Southern green was included. I picked mine up. They didn't know if R3290 was also in the shipment as although not on the packing list there were too many of that size box for the number of 329oAs on the list. Have to wait and see, still picked up 3290A as it would be rude to refuse.

• RMweb Premium

To confirm Bulleidboy100's post, I've just got back from my local model shop, and they had received another Hornby shipment today. They had only partly unpacked but R3290A which is the 2-HAL in BR Southern green was included. I picked mine up. They didn't know if R3290 was also in the shipment as although not on the packing list there were too many of that size box for the number of 329oAs on the list. Have to wait and see, still picked up 3290A as it would be rude to refuse.

Hornby's latest e-newsletter refers only to R3290A; apparently R3290 hasn't arrived yet.

Can you confirm the livery of the BR green R3290A please. Hornby's images show a first class yellow line, implying a yellow SYP as well, but the description suggests the more plain BR green.

They didn't know if R3290 was also in the shipment as although not on the packing list there were too many of that size box for the number of 329oAs on the list. Have to wait and see, still picked up 3290A as it would be rude to refuse.

Hornby's email blast today lists only R3290A and R3161B (the 2BIL in SR olive) as EMUs now released.

Having said that I do know from my supplier that R3260 (the 2HAL in SR olive) has arrived.

Popped in Harburn Hobbies yesterday where they were busy phoning customers to let them know their LNER P2s had arrived - the SR 2HAL certainly looks great - even better news is that the BR version is due very soon, so really looking forward to that.

As others have mentioned here and in other threads, it looks as though Hornby are emerging from their production and distribution problems.

Mal

• RMweb Premium

I am absolutely delighted with my BR 2-Hal, a reminder of visits to Maidstone East long ago.

Now I need to hassle Kernow for a 2-Hap and Hornby for a 2-Nol and ANYONE for a Bullied 4-Sub!!!

Gerry

AND a 4COR!!!!!

• RMweb Premium

Is it just the 'A' variant of the BR HAL that is starting to appear? I have the non A variant on preorderand would rather it didn't turn up during my honeymoon this coming week!

Archived