Washout at Dawlish

Between Dawlish Warren & Redrock there is a wide tract of railway land

probably 40-60 feet wide

there are piles of new concrete sleepers possibly 100 plus

looks like this is the way the big digger got access to the beach

post-22449-0-23698300-1402265721.jpg

there is a gate in the fence at the bottom of the slope

where the path from the Warren comes down the town side of Redrock

and a temporary ramp of sand/shingle has been put in place for access to the beach

It may have got access to this area via that gate over in the end compound

probably using sleepers across the track during a night possesion

post-22449-0-31932200-1402266199.jpg

The drilling rig appears to have got to the beach via the path to the left upto Red Rock Cafe

and down the other side

small track marks were seen in the dust

post-22449-0-62149700-1402266360.jpg

lengths of unused rail were left between the track to weather naturally

post-22449-0-96293400-1402266511.jpg

The renewed parapet has been finished on the outside only with the fibreglass moulds

taken off the original stone wall

A friend of mine who travels the line frequently,

said that the new parapet looks 'smooth' on the track side,

she did not realise the outside was different

post-22449-0-81239900-1402266594.jpg

Edited by Granitechops
  • Like 2

Seeing as its sandstone the stream might have found another route, possibly underground.

good point

I will also see if I can remember to have a look at the seawall there

to see if the Railway had made provision via a drain outlet

or wether it just soaked out through & under the wall

In Boat cove at low tide after rain, there are several little 'springs '  of water welling up from under the seawall

Back at Dawlish station,

now the work on the bridge roof has been completed

and the scaffolding removed

the work continues on the outside wall,

windows, screens, down pipes & guttering

due to constraints by English Heritage

only CAST IRON OGee gutters can be used

post-22449-0-17373400-1402267767.jpg

post-22449-0-83847300-1402267793.jpg

unfortunately this machine sank into the top surface of the seawall

post-22449-0-37767400-1402267843.jpg

• Like 2

Between Dawlish Warren & Redrock there is a wide tract of railway land

probably 40-60 feet wide

I've always assumed, without actually knowing, that the railway was re-aligned here at some time to ease the curve and this area of land is the former trackbed. 

I've always assumed, without actually knowing, that the railway was re-aligned here at some time to ease the curve and this area of land is the former trackbed. 

Looking on Old maps.

all the different maps back to 1890 show the track close to the cliff face where it is now

so one could assume that 1890 map showed the BROAD gauge track

I thought it might have got realigned when broad gauge changed to standard

but that was 1892

so its not that

Edit;

No extra siding or loop shown either

Edited by Granitechops

• RMweb Gold

Looking on Old maps.

all the different maps back to 1890 show the track close to the cliff face where it is now

so one could assume that 1890 map showed the BROAD gauge track

I thought it might have got realigned when broad gauge changed to standard

but that was 1892

so its not that

Edit;

No extra siding or loop shown either

I think it is mainly a result of the 1920 works to establish a much stronger sea defence in that location by unloading a large quantity of rock (the Down Loop was temporarily extended as a siding to assist.  the siding was more or less on the line of the present path and there was - judging from photos - existing land between it and the running lines.

• RMweb Gold

Wouldn't have ever been a longer loop, as the footbridge isn't big enough for a 3rd track.

And the 1920 siding ran round the outside (sea side) of it.

The footbridge dated from 1873 (I don't know if the one there now is the original) and the loops were installed in 1911/12 with a new station footbridge going in at about the some time).

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Gold

A friend of mine who travels the line frequently,

said that the new parapet looks 'smooth' on the track side,

she did not realise the outside was different

Yes, this is deliberate - the reinforced concrete construction was needed for resilience, but it was felt that there was no need for a textured finish on the rail side, when trains are hopefully travelling at line speed, there are nicer things to look at (ie. the sea, between the land and the sky!!)...

• Like 1

And the 1920 siding ran round the outside (sea side) of it.

The footbridge dated from 1873 (I don't know if the one there now is the original) and the loops were installed in 1911/12 with a new station footbridge going in at about the some time).

My guess is original - surely older than 1911/12, as i'd have thought a nice simple standard metal one would have gone in at that sort of date.

(2007 photo)

43141_DawlishWarren_070707-L.jpg

• Like 5

Not directly relevant but -

There's a photo in Pocket Railway Books - No 2 - Great Western - Oxford Publishing Company - 1976 of the down Cornish Riviera Express speeding past the Langstone Rock in August 1939 taken from up on top of the Langstone Rock. The entire railway walkway from the footbridge at the Warren to the Langstone Rock has a siding laid in - no buffer stops mind - fenced off from the rest of the wall footpath roughly where the ramp by the Red Rock café is. 

In that photo it looks as though there is a segregated footpath on the railway side of what would currently be the wall between railway and sea wall, formed with a wire and post fence further into what would now be the railway land from the sea wall.  I've always assumed the siding was put in temporarily to off load stone to protect the sea wall there.  

There also used to be a whacking great pill box in the trees in the cliff face at the back of the car park at the Warren - left of the Mount Pleasant as looking at it from the sea wall - no idea if any trace of that remains.

Also, when I was a lad circa 1971, there used to be some narrow gauge/light bull head rail in the grass on the railway side of the wall heading west of the big old platelayers hut which used to be nestled up against the bank by the Langstone Rock there. The track was rusting away then - (like I say 1970 - 73 or thereabouts), no idea what its provenance was.  I used to ask my Dad about it but he was none the wiser (his aunt had a guest house, Longlands, in Dawlish before WW2). 

Interesting seeing the changes in level of the beach, and the breakwater at the Langstone Rock looks really dilapidated.  Certainly all took a pounding this year, but thanks to the Cap'n and his 'ansome crew work well in hand to put all back in order. 

Used to love being Dawlish side of the Langstone Rock hearing the rails singing and then see a 1000, Peak or Brush come blasting round on a down service on the cant of the curve - my memory makes all the days sunny and the polarised glass on the windscreens of the Brush's and 1000's in particular used to look purplish one side and bluish the other.

As long as there's trains at Dawlish all will be right with the world. 

All the best and I like looking in on this thread - good work too Chops !

Matt W

Been looking at Owentherails 70s slide scans in prototype galleries -

You can see the post and wire fence that looks like it provided a footpath between the footbridge at the Warren and the Langstone Rock, as referred to in my post above, in this photo from Owentherails 70's slide scans here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/7019-47086-26876jpg/

If you haven't looked Owen's slides are a wonderful reminder of the railway at Dawlish, and the variety of traction and stock on it in the 70's.

Regards and hat off to Owen for posting his scans,

Matt W

I had assumed the track was realigned closed to the mainland many years ago, hence the gap.  The siding is a better explanation.

Is the Red Rock cafe open yet?

Have noticed several people walking along "closed" section of sea wall over last few days

What are the 3 guys who work there doing, given the gap is now to be completely closed in?

• RMweb Premium

I was inside the compound at Dawlish Warren on some NR business on Monday and Tuesday and noticed large partys of school kids walking along towards the café and out of site around the corner towards Dawlish.

The café was certainly not open though.

• RMweb Gold

Seen on BBC Breakfast local (South West) news, there is evidently some opposiion to the idea of raising the level of the path (and widening the wall) in front of Riveria Terrace. One resident siad his bedroom would be level with the new path & he didn't want to live in a goldfish bowl.! :O Never heard of curtains then....? I'm amazed that the narrow escape from being washed away in February hasn't caused more calls for the wall to be widened - this seems completely contradictory....

• RMweb Gold

Seen on BBC Breakfast local (South West) news, there is evidently some opposiion to the idea of raising the level of the path (and widening the wall) in front of Riveria Terrace. One resident siad his bedroom would be level with the new path & he didn't want to live in a goldfish bowl.! :O Never heard of curtains then....? I'm amazed that the narrow escape from being washed away in February hasn't caused more calls for the wall to be widened - this seems completely contradictory....

I think it's the old maxim of 'you can't please all of the people all of the time', Rich. Whilst it is amazing, incredible, unbelievable that anyone would wish to oppose this scheme, after the narrow escape last February, there will always be someone that the media are able to ferret out to say something 'controversial'. Rest assured, we have a programme of positive engagement with the local residents and I'm sure the project team will speak to this gentleman in a constructive manner!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Rest assured, we have a programme of positive engagement with the local residents and I'm sure the project team will speak to this gentleman in a constructive manner!

Probably a good job that isn't part of my job description then!

Sir, may I offer you an idea-

post-299-0-63567600-1402590090.jpg

Edited by Gary H
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I think it's the old maxim of 'you can't please all of the people all of the time', Rich. Whilst it is amazing, incredible, unbelievable that anyone would wish to oppose this scheme, after the narrow escape last February, there will always be someone that the media are able to ferret out to say something 'controversial'. Rest assured, we have a programme of positive engagement with the local residents and I'm sure the project team will speak to this gentleman in a constructive manner!

A short visit by the two Ron's that form "the management" then is it.