Washout at Dawlish

Went to the red Rock cafe this afternoon

a few pics

a lot of train drivers were giving an extra toot as they passed by!!

seen as you approach from Dawlish Warren

post-22449-0-51837500-1404238608.jpg

a bit closer & there is a steep pitch as you approach

post-22449-0-17354100-1404238573.jpg

post-22449-0-91948200-1404238726.jpg

public message

post-22449-0-46018600-1404238783.jpg

view from the Dawlish town side  

post-22449-0-01142900-1404238828.jpg

• Like 16

I don't think this is really too great a surprise... Dawlish railway track alternatives 'too expensive'

Building an alternative to a major railway track destroyed in winter storms would be prohibitively expensive, the BBC understands.

The costs of alternatives to the coastal track at Dawlish in Devon were "eye-watering", said sources.

Chris

Edited by Christopher125

• RMweb Gold

The new pointwork  components seen on Friday

were fitted Sat night

& photoed on Sunday

attachicon.gif100_2947 (Medium).JPG

attachicon.gif100_2950 (Medium).JPG

attachicon.gif100_2951 (Medium).JPG

These are the Up main facing points in the crossover, where what we term a 'half switch' (ie. the blades on one side only) were replaced last Saturday night by our local maintenance PW team.

Lemon Army at work

Coryton Cove Tues 2nd July 2014

workmen were carrying the components to replace

the beach huts that were smashed by the Feb storms

all being carried over the footbridge by the tunnel

post-22449-0-19654400-1404391173.jpg

post-22449-0-30414500-1404391225.jpg

post-22449-0-71962500-1404391251.jpg

the debris from the fire of the cafe was also just about to be moved

• Like 4

Meanwhile at Dawlish Warren on the slipway

the sand continues to scour away

post-22449-0-14225700-1404394470.jpg

in an unusual trench formation

post-22449-0-28040600-1404394561.jpg

along the side of the slip, the sand is also dropping

but not right back in the corner under the Lifeguard hut

the steel piling sheets are all exposed

post-22449-0-44409400-1404394664.jpg

BUT

as you come round to the first groyne the sand level

has come up to the second row of facing pavings

post-22449-0-92256400-1404394989.jpg

and by the 2nd groyne the level is up to the 3rd row

( there are 10 rows of paving facings )

post-22449-0-92420200-1404395039.jpg

• Like 2

Approaching Red Rock from the Warren

in the early morning sun

post-22449-0-46526800-1404395186.jpg

leaving Red Rock as you go towards Rockstone/( or Black bridge, as the old fishermen call it)

you come upon the signal gantry

post-22449-0-01055100-1404395268.jpg

in the UP track is a grid like fitting just after the gantry

protection for optical gear sensing passing of traffic??

OR

otherwise??

post-22449-0-12253000-1404395467.jpg

with auxiliary wiring/sensory box beside the grid??

EDIT;-

further on at Rockstone Foot  bridge

I noticed that the stone work has developed  some serious cracking

from the side of the infill ( perhaps not enexpectedly there )

BUT

the crack then goes on up through the top supporting arch into the top of the masonry

post-22449-0-76995100-1404395941.jpg

one of the 'retired' fishermen remembers sheltering in there before it was enclosed

Edited by Granitechops

• RMweb Premium

That's a TPWS inductor loop, Don. aka- train protection and warning system.

Its a whole big can of worms to explain but it basically over rides the driver if he passes a signal at danger or he approaches a  danger signal at to higher speed by giving an automatic brake application.

Loads of info on the net about it. There were some very high profile fatal collisions years past that brought it about.

Ladbroke Grove derailment just outside Paddington being one of them.

HEARSAY

A local told me that at a recent meeting, Tegnbridge DC/ Environement agency???

informed the public of a  plan to remove the Gabions exposed in the far sand dunes, 

Add an enormous amount of imported sand

and let  'nature'  take its course at the far end of the beach

I wonder who they consulted?

That's a TPWS inductor loop, Don. aka- train protection and warning system.

Its a whole big can of worms to explain but it basically over rides the driver if he passes a signal at danger or he approaches a  danger signal at to higher speed by giving an automatic brake application.

Loads of info on the net about it. There were some very high profile fatal collisions years past that brought it about.

Ladbroke Grove derailment just outside Paddington being one of them.

Thank you Gary & Marrtyn

SPAD did cross my mind.

• RMweb Gold

HEARSAY

A local told me that at a recent meeting, Tegnbridge DC/ Environement agency???

informed the public of a  plan to remove the Gabions exposed in the far sand dunes, 

Add an enormous amount of imported sand

and let  'nature'  take its course at the far end of the beach

I wonder who they consulted?

There is a multi-agency 'Coastal Strategy' group (or similar name), which NR is represented on, along with the EA, local authorities and other relevent/appropriate parties, to look at long term coastal issues, perhaps this has emanated from their discussions (I am not personally involved with that group).

There is a multi-agency 'Coastal Strategy' group (or similar name), which NR is represented on, along with the EA, local authorities and other relevent/appropriate parties, to look at long term coastal issues, perhaps this has emanated from their discussions (I am not personally involved with that group).

Does this multi agency group look at things like beach groynes? Walking along Teignmouth beach today it was noticeable how many of the wooden groynes only have the uprights. Many of the 'closer to the sea' horizontal boards are long gone. The lack of these groynes help the loss of sand and surely this affects the protection of the base of the sea wall.

• RMweb Premium

I've made a few visits to Dawlish since the line reopened, but I've often found that by the time I've sorted through my photos, too much time has elapsed, so I've not posted much on here, because it's lost some of its immediacy.

However, I did make a tour of inspection yesterday, and have a few minutes to post these images tonight.

I started off at the Smugglers Cove compound and walked out to the main 'Woodlands Avenue' slip site:

attachicon.gifIMG_3412.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3414.JPG

More photos in next post.

I apologise for being a little late commenting on these two shots from the good Cap'n (they are the second and third in the quoted post) showing the underbridge, they have somehow stirred a very, very old memory in me. I used to live in Exeter and can recall going down to Dawlish as a mere nipper one day and on our way down to the beach walking under the railway as a Castle or Hall passed over the bridge with a train of chocolate and cream stock in tow. I think of it as the first real stirring of a railway enthusiast in me and a BR(W) and GWR one at that.

Far more years ago than many, myself included, might wish to admit but suffice to say it was in revenue earning service pre-Beeching!

• Like 2

Thank you Gary & Marrtyn

SPAD did cross my mind.

And,

being a northerner

I call a SPAD a  SPAD      :jester:  

AND  not  a    WOVICATNIP

thats a   ;-    Wrongly Observed Visual Indicating Communicator  That's Not Implemented Procedurelly      :jester:

• Like 1

I don't think this is really too great a surprise... Dawlish railway track alternatives 'too expensive'

Chris

Re linked article: until the cost of strengthening the existing route is known, we don't know if £750M is a good price or not.  Whether it's 0.75, 1 or 2 billion I suspect the money will be found, because the political consequences of cutting off the south west from the rail network are unthinkable.

And if the route is moved what happens to those houses currently protected by the railway embankment?

What would be the impact on Dawlish & Dawlish Warren (or Teignmouth) if they no longer had stopping trains in the summer, e.g. The Dawlish Air Show?

And if the new line went inland from Teignmouth to say Starcross (with tunnels) would Dawlish get a new inland station?

If it was my problem I would get a commitment for funding (whatever option is preferred), before the General Election, perhaps during the "kissing babies" pre-election visits :)

• RMweb Gold

Re linked article: until the cost of strengthening the existing route is known, we don't know if £750M is a good price or not.  Whether it's 0.75, 1 or 2 billion I suspect the money will be found, because the political consequences of cutting off the south west from the rail network are unthinkable.

And if the route is moved what happens to those houses currently protected by the railway embankment?

What would be the impact on Dawlish & Dawlish Warren (or Teignmouth) if they no longer had stopping trains in the summer, e.g. The Dawlish Air Show?

And if the new line went inland from Teignmouth to say Starcross (with tunnels) would Dawlish get a new inland station?

If it was my problem I would get a commitment for funding (whatever option is preferred), before the General Election, perhaps during the "kissing babies" pre-election visits :)

Old news I'm afraid - being discussed here  (in so far as is possible until the Report is published - which means there's not really anything tangible to discuss)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/83574-dawlish-diversion-route/page-6

Edited by The Stationmaster

In answer to the airshow problem, I am guessing that aircraft can probably fly over Dawlish or any other local place where massed crowds can gather. I guess it could be changed to the Starcross airshow or 'the slightly closer to Chudleigh airshow'.

Any how to use George V words, bxgger Dawlish what about tne folks of Teignmouth. Teignmouth airshow! Much nicer sea front and beach.

As for going inland from Teignmouth to Starcross, where exactly would the tunnel start? Exiting Teignmouth station is er, the sea wall. It would still have to be maintained!

Edited by lightengine