Worseter - update

Killybegs

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when you fit these! I didn't do the brackets on mine - I'm not that brave - and it was still one heck of a job with blue air throughout the house. But, it's one of those things that complete the model...can we have some more video when it's all together please? 

The fact you've managed to get the front pair on without fowling the front bogie is quite some work.

Mike

It's certainly quite a tight fit between the bogie wheels and the front brakes. I think it's probably easier to make them up as units as I have done. It helps that the rear face of the brackets and the rear face of the pipes where they are soldered to the PCB are in the same plane so you can get the bends correct in all three planes while working on a flat surface. Fixing them shouldn't be a problem as I have already had a 'dry run' and, apart from the front ones, they pretty much stayed in place with no adhesive.

• Like 1

With Abigail threatening to knock out the electrics, I decided not to risk losing power in the middle of airbrushing the chassis and various bits and pieces and took a look at the tender instead. This was the first time I have done anything with it apart from dropping in a set of P4 wheels. I knew I had to make some brake rigging [E] as that was missing, but I hadn't spotted the broken rear step [G] which needed replacing. Then there were the lamp brackets [A] to change to BR(W) variety, guard irons [F] to be made and fitted, not to mention hoses , screw link couplings [C] and an AJ coupling [D].

Hopefully the wind will moderate tomorrow and I can get on with some painting.

post-7952-0-44771800-1447430661_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Lovely modelling.

How odd that (on my 'puter anyway), the close-up of the tender appears the wrong shade of green, yet the shot of loco and tender shows them to be matched and perfect in shade, to my eyes at least.

Lovely modelling.

How odd that (on my 'puter anyway), the close-up of the tender appears the wrong shade of green, yet the shot of loco and tender shows them to be matched and perfect in shade, to my eyes at least.

It may be the way the light is catching it. Here's the other side taken looking the other way. Does it make a difference?

post-7952-0-24965300-1447710818_thumb.jpg

Edited by Killybegs
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Very handsome locomotive recreated to perfection in miniature.

Splendid. The attached is taken from The South Wales Main Line..Part One. Cardiff. By John Hodge. Photos by John Hodge and Bob Tuck. A splendid volume and highly recommended.

Rob.

post-14122-0-86951700-1447793230_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks Rob. I have that series of books. A lot of my 'spotting' was done at Patchway on the South Wales main line east of the Severn Tunnel. Brits were always a favourite! It's a pity that there appear to be almost no colour photos of Brits in that period.

• RMweb Gold

They are a bit few and far between John. Found this one. Great image. Photograph as credited with attached caption. May be useful for forthcoming weathering......

" BR Standard "Britannia" class 7P6F 4-6-2 70029 "Shooting Star" from Cardiff Canton (88A) MPD runs light at Bristol Temple Meads - 11/04/1961."

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/7716229058

Rob.

Edited by Andy Y
Uploaded image removed due to copyright issue - please use links when sharing facilities on Flickr are disabled by image owner.
  • Like 5

They are a bit few and far between John. Found this one. Great image. Photograph as credited with attached caption. May be useful for forthcoming weathering......

" BR Standard "Britannia" class 7P6F 4-6-2 70029 "Shooting Star" from Cardiff Canton (88A) MPD runs light at Bristol Temple Meads - 11/04/1961."

Rob.

Thanks very much Rob, that's a great photo. It's a pity there's no date on the black and white photo in the 'Cardiff' book, my guess is that it's probably 1959 prior to her going into Swindon for a major overhaul, which is the period I am modelling.

Afternoon John,

You have to be impressed with the lovely image that Rob found - I'm afraid it shows that these once proudly presented locos were less well cared for towards the end of steam! As Rob said though, it is a marvellous resource for the purpose of weathering. You are going to have to be very brave indeed to start on that beautiful model of yours - I would be tempted to show it as just out shopped from Swindon!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Afternoon John,

You have to be impressed with the lovely image that Rob found - I'm afraid it shows that these once proudly presented locos were less well cared for towards the end of steam! As Rob said though, it is a marvellous resource for the purpose of weathering. You are going to have to be very brave indeed to start on that beautiful model of yours - I would be tempted to show it as just out shopped from Swindon!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Very tempting to do that Jock! To justify a Brit on Worseter, it would have to have been taken off top link duties. This happened when they were due for a major overhaul. Flying Dutchman went into Swindon Works in July 1959 and so, at that time, was likely to be even grubbier than the colour photo, more like the black and white one taken on shed in Cardiff. Most of my locos end up pretty grubby!

• Like 1

You are banned from Wales forever...unless you bring her with you? Course you may not leave with her, but a small price to pay for visiting I feel!

All I need now is some video of her running and my misery is complete.

How did you get the colour into the coupling rods et all?

Mike