Any Questions? Quiz the Dapol team

As you're probably aware, there have been major changes at Dapol over the last year and there's been some speculation about the company and its plans. To help clear up any misunderstandings and get the message across about the exciting plans it has, Dapol MD Joel Bright, supported by development team Richard Webster and Andy Forty have agreed to answer questions from RMweb members. So, if you have a burning question about Dapol products that you'd like the team to answer, post them here and we'll pass them on to the team.

I look forward to seeing them!

Ben

PS: Please note that this thread is for the questions only. For other discussions about Dapol products, please refer to the relevant threads already running in the Dapol products section. Thanks!

We've seen a lot of innovation from Dapol, tender motors with a drive shaft to drive the loco being one that springs to mind, it's great to see, however I still hear a number of comments on the long-levity and reliability of Dapol locos, what is Dapol doing or planning to reverse this?

Are you ever going to do an n gauge L&Y pug? :P

Have you considered "book sets" of more than four vehicles for things like HSTs to make it easier for people to get hold of complete trains? For example, you could sell a full-length 8-car HST as a 2+4 set plus a four car extension set.

For me modelling in 'oo' gauge the 2014/15 catalogue is virtually a repeat of the 2012/13 catalogue with the planned items still the same. Can the Dapol team give any timeline for the production of the planned models that were in the 2012/13 catalogue and even earlier for some of the freight wagons (up to 4 years ago for the Freightliner sets and the Turbot). I appreciate the company has gone through some difficult reorganisation in its senior staff and progress seems to now be taking place with the planned tooling, however a broad timeline would help us who have pre-ordered, to plan our budgets.

Could Daopol give some more details on the benefits of the the collectors club for 7mm modellers? The announcement was not fully clear on which scale(s) the special editions would be,  ' one limited edition Locomotive and three limited edition wagons for all gauges.'

Would you please consider selling the forthcoming SR Maunsell carriages in 3 (or 4) car sets? This will save so much frustration in trying to assemble prototypical sets. And, why did you choose the low windowed variety rather than the high window?

Thank you for this opportunity to correspond with you.

Gerry

Are you planning any significant steps to improve reliability and build quality (especially PCBs) on N gauge products? I have given up buying locos because of the failure rate.

Like many others, I have bought, at significant expense and over a protracted period, all but one coach of a scale length HST set. When will the TGS appear, please?

Are you planning to stick with the existing tender drive arrangement for steam locomotives? Farish's recent switch to coreless motors makes loco drive feasible, especially as forthcoming locos like the Bulleid light pacifics have fairly large bodies to house a motor.

• RMweb Premium

What are the plans for Gauge 0 models after the long delays?

When will we see preproduction artwork or prototypes, eg of the Terriers?

Thanks for asking,

Dava

It was announced previously that DCC supplies would get stocks of *all* spares for locos - this does not appear to have happened, and the most basic spares (like screws and bolts for steam models, double ended super creep motors for diesels, replacement gears etc) can't be obtained for many locos. Is the previous announcement to be honoured? I have several models awaiting parts for close on a year.

Regards,
Alan

Would you please consider selling the forthcoming SR Maunsell carriages in 3 (or 4) car sets? This will save so much frustration in trying to assemble prototypical sets.

I can answer this part of the question. Dapol have announced a 4-car set (450) in the catalogue.

post-887-0-73752200-1400744091.png

Good morning gelboy 45

Thank you for your interest in the forthcoming Maunsell 'N' gauge coaches. The design of the carriages was already complete when I joined, however we may offer the high window versions at a later date, together with a four compartment brake third.

For the first release, currently completing the decoration sheets, we shall also be offering a four coach set number 450 comprising two brake thirds and two composites.

Hope that answers your questions

Cheers,

Richard

Good morning davknigh,

You will be pleased to know the class 21/29 locomotives are in design stage. Fred Phipps has provided us with a complete body built to gauge one standards together with bogies and underframe details, quite exquisite. Once we have completed drawings we will post here for your viewing.

Thank you for your interest in these important north of the border locomotives.

Cheers,

Richard

Good morning Dava,

The Terrier A1 and A1X locomotives are currently being tooled with first shots scheduled for middle to late June.

Artwork is now underway and we will provide here livery sheets for viewing.

The class 08 diesel is being redesigned to similar specifications to the Terrier with diecast footplate and chassis to provide weight in the right place.

The bodyshell in ABS plastic will have various side slides of the mould to reproduce the different door and ancillary box configurations.

We have other features planned for this locomotive so exciting times ahead.

Cheers,

Richard

Do you have any plans to offer more weathered steam locos. The weathering on your last batch of 9Fs is still the best RTR weathering I have seen on any N gauge steam loco. The new catalogue lists weathered 9Fs and Britannias. Any chance of some of the GWR (or other pre-nationalisation locos being offered ready-weathered)? The 2884s for example were frequently filthy in service, particularly in BR days.

Archived