Any Questions? Quiz the Dapol team

I have a few questions.

First relates to the availability of  the N lattice post signals. They are noted in the catalogue and Hattons are taking pre-orders, but there has been no news for a while?

Second relates to the use of coreless motors. Is it planned to use this technology on future N products now that it is proven and mature to dispense with the rather clunky (by today's standards) cardan-shaft arrangement?

Third relates to the recent catalogue I bought at Ally Pally. Insofar as N is concerned there are numerous inaccuracies in terms of features of locos - why was it allowed to go to press like this? Just one example - the Ivatt, M7, 45xx and 9F re-runs having cast tungsten chassis and cast wheels. True, later when queried it was confirmed they would not and existing tooling would be used but surely someone with adequately detailed product knowledge should have proof read it and corrected these errors before it was released?

Roy

Is there any chance of producing a Maunsell Brake Composite coach? There were plenty of these built (Diagram 2401) to the same Low Window design as the ones currently in production.

These are very useful vehicles as they were often added as through coaches from branchlines to London termini. The Atlantic Coast Express is the most famous example but certainly not the only one. This means they would be useful for both branchline and mainline modellers. Lastly, they were often paired up with either a Brake Third or Corridor Third to form a 2-car set for rural use. Many west of England lines were mostly served by these 2-car sets behind and M7 or O2 tank.

Please would you consider adding this useful and widespread vehicle to your range (although I appreciate it will not be ready for the initial release)?

Good morning two tone green,

Funnily enough we were discussing this project in yesterdays meeting. Signals are such an important part of the railway scene, so we are now making them a priority in all scales.

The '00' round post or tubular home/starting signal will be the next production as design is virtually complete.

The first '0' gauge model will be a shorter 20 foot tall prototype of a home or starting signal, which will include more details than the '00' or 'N' scale versions and have a new mechanism with some cool features, this new operating mechanism currently under development will also be used in the '00' gauge bracket signals.

Cheers for now

Richard

A few more questions:

(1) Have you considered doing the Gresley buffet in blue/grey?  I know it's not 100% accurate, but it's no more "wrong" than the compromise generic Mk3 buffet is for many of the TOC liveries

(2) Any chance of a re-run of the class 221 in Cross-Country for those of us who missed it the first time round?  (And can you sell it as a 5-car rathen than having to hunt down the extra coach to make up the train?

• RMweb Premium

Just like to reiterate the question about making a complete N gauge HST rake available with all coach variations, particularly in Virgin livery?

And to ask specifically when the N gauge MR bracket signals will become available as I need two straight away! 

Thank you

David

Hello,

Fenman mentioned 20% price rises also affecting Dapol in the Bachmann thread. I have the new catalogue but where can I find a current and up to date price list for all the Dapol products giving the RRPs? Has there been any recent price rises or some to come?

If I've missed anything perhaps other members can point me in the right direction.

Regards

Igor

Hi Richard

Thank you for replying so courteously to my inquiry. I am delighted that you have decided to offer these coaches in sets and for considering the more common high window design too. May I suggest that as well as the proposed four compartment brake you also consider Maunsell Pull-Push sets for all those model SR branch lines?  

I have really appreciated this opportunity to discuss your products and I wish you every success in the future but I do worry that I shall have to sell the farm to buy all those Cromptons!.

Best regards

Gerry

Good morning gelboy 45

Thank you for your interest in the forthcoming Maunsell 'N' gauge coaches. The design of the carriages was already complete when I joined, however we may offer the high window versions at a later date, together with a four compartment brake third.

For the first release, currently completing the decoration sheets, we shall also be offering a four coach set number 450 comprising two brake thirds and two composites.

Hope that answers your questions

Cheers,

Richard

...You will be pleased to know the class 21/29 locomotives are in design stage...Thank you for your interest in these important north of the border locomotives...

Glad to read that progress is being made.

The 21's first worked out of KX!  North of the French Border? There should be massive interest from the many who have purchased all the Gresley, Thompson and other goodies suitable for the Southern end of the ECML. In the first all over green livery of course.

Hopefully the cab can have the same general shape form as that in your class 22, as the NBL cabs were cast. The cab rendering on the class 22, especially the the thin pillars for correctly proportioned glazing, was very effective.

• RMweb Premium

Like others, I'd like to know when the Class 142 is due out (ideally in original form in GMPTE brown/orange). Ditto the Mk3 TGS for the Intercity Executive HST & Loco hauled buffet in blue/grey.

Will we see the quality of your PCBs increase? Some of the ones I have are diabolical.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Good morning davknigh,

You will be pleased to know the class 21/29 locomotives are in design stage. Fred Phipps has provided us with a complete body built to gauge one standards together with bogies and underframe details, quite exquisite. Once we have completed drawings we will post here for your viewing.

Thank you for your interest in these important north of the border locomotives.

Cheers,

Richard

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your prompt answer. If I might just make one small request around the bogies, could they please be designed in such a way that those of us who plan to change to EM or P4 could be accommodated?  It would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

David

Over the last few years Dapol have produced some very good contemporary engineering/infrastructure wagons most notably the MRA set. I do hope that this tradition continues in future.

Couple of questions if I may please;

Are you still looking to produce an MRA set in Metronet livery?

Would you consider other infrastructure trains? High Output Ballast Train perhaps?

Thanks.

• RMweb Premium

On the mechanical/electrical front, are you going to upgrade the remaining steam tender locos in N that have a plastic loco drive chassis (the Q1, B17 and 9F) with the current spec tungsten split-frame chassis and self-quartering cast metal wheels?

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to Dapol for running this topic & responding so quickly to the questions. So much better than a recent thread on their 0 Gauge releases which was closed down after being hijacked by headbangers with ultra negative views. I'm looking forward to news on their releases.

Dava

A couple of questions from me to add to the fray -

1 - When are you going to produce the N gauge Mk3 TGS? There are many of us who cannot complete our HST sets without it and have been waiting, patiently for several years.

2 - With the Maunsell coaches coming out what is the likely hood that you will revisit and sort out the M7 properly to bring its running standard up to the levels of the rest? I know you are rereleasing it but sounds like without upgrades.

3 - Q2 also applies to the 45xx and the Ivatt. I am sure that properly upgraded versions of these will sell VERY well.

I would also like to know if you are considering a Turbot wagon in N as I would also like some.

Best wishes

Simon

Couple of questions which I suspect is a 'no' but I can dream. Since you done the GWR 14xx 0-4-2T in 'N' gauge and the LB&SCR 'Terrier' in 'N' and soon 'O', would you do 'OO' gauge versions of both? The company with the red boxes don't seem to be interested in upgrade the 30-year old models they make so if anyone was in a position to come out with 21st century models you chaps must have some advantage with you development work already done for the other scales...

Hallo,

Hattons are advertising a 2D-17-002 DVT in InterCity livery as "on order" and available for pre-order. Is Dapol really going to be doing a re-run of this livery? And if so will it be released 2014 or 2015?

Thanks in advance

es grüßt

PC

Archived