Evocotive railway remains, what derelect or abandoned structure stirs your emotions?

What stirs my emotions is to see well remembered structures gradually falling into ruin, particularly in place where I have some affinity.

This is what remains of Bartlow Junction signal box, still proudly carrying its LNER livery, but falling apart thanks to unchecked tree growth.  (It's probably even worse now, the picture was taken in January 2010).  A much younger version of myself visited the site (by invitation of the owners) many years ago, when I had the intention of building a model of the station.  Though it was several years after closure, there were no trees around the signal box in those days and I was able to inspect what remained - both inside and out.

post-10122-0-25426900-1414509536_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

One that always fascinates me and I have never found any information about is on the Low Level line heading towards Lanark out of Glasgow Central. It is early on, (Before your bum had gone numb from the seats on the "Blue Trains". They were hard if you were going all the way out to Lanark) and still in the underground section but on the right, just visible in the light from the carriage windows there is a large area with a row of ornate columns in front of it. I don't know if it is a long closed station or something else but it is a strange thing to see in what is basically a railway tunnel and a very ornate construction to be hidden, unused, underground. I  would love to know its history.

That would have been the station at Glasgow Cross (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasgow_Cross_railway_station) which was replaced by the Argyle Street station when the line re-opened in 1979. As a visible marker at the surface, the tower at the cross

https://www.flickr.com/photos/61144479@N06/6166861186/in/photolist-aoWLYS-7eYt7G-k7tcoe-6dFdcL-9vSSQz-7V1td-ovHDhf-obhv57-obmUHV-83jX6i-HpkXW-g9k1s2-g9kEUa-ovxnWY-ov2DbU-HpkHq-Hpuxe-dd6iKf-Hpuxz-Hpkvy-Hpm35-HpuwK-Hpkby-HpopM-HpgHq-HpuwX-HpkCY-HpouB-HpoMr-4K7Cgy-Hpkom-HpoZc-HpkUs-Hpksu-HpkKq-HpoEx-HpkjJ-Hpp74-Hpk2y-HppqB-pMgTBi-oDsUMQ

is on the opposite side of Argyle Street to where the station is and there are vents in the middle of the traffic junction which let daylight down making the columns visible from the trains as they pass.

Edited by GordonC

My nomination is the Caledonian Railway Airdrie Branch, built relatively late (1886) at hugh cost to try and invade the NBR territory, it was an early casualty and closed to passengers in 1943 and freight in the 1980s.  It has left some major structures such as the viaduct at Whifflet which used to carry Whifflet upper station, and the overbridge and viaduct at Coatdyke, now a cycle path.

If you look hard enough there is also remnants of Glasgow Buchanan Street Station to be found, such as the tunnel mouth and pits of a platform and station building walls.

Did that line join up with the Airdrie-Bathgate line? I'd seen the bridge at Coatdyke many times but never really paid any attention to where it would have gone

Did that line join up with the Airdrie-Bathgate line? I'd seen the bridge at Coatdyke many times but never really paid any attention to where it would have gone

No Gordon there was no direct connection with the Airdrie Bathgate line, it crossed that line just after Broomknoll Street and ended in a terminus station.  There was a link to the Caledonian Railway Newhouse Branch which joined as a triangular junction in the Cairnhill district of the town

This Photo http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete.php?id=9614 shows a SLS special in the station, the first coach is sitting on the bridge above the A&B line.

Jim

You have to be signed in to view the page.

I registered and still can't access the page.   :(

Maud Junction on the Great North of Scotland lines to Fraserburgh and Peterhead from Aberdeen. Visited when we stopped for lunch whilst on holiday in 2008.

attachicon.gifDSCN2181.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN2182.JPG

Now a small railway museum, http://www.friendsofmaud.org.uk

That would have been the station at Glasgow Cross

Thanks for that. I have often wondered and never been able to track it down. For one thing it is hard to tell exactly where it is from the train under the ground.

Edited by Graham Hughes

• 3 months later...

The lonely remains of the viaduct at John O' Gaunt, on the former L&NW & GN Joint line present an eerie sight to passing motorists seemingly in the middle of nowhere high up on the Leicestershire Wolds.

Saw this old boozer at the site of Percy Main engine shed. It's on St John's St adjacent to the Stephenson museum's station, and is where I guess the entrance to the works would have been. Any ideas if it was part of the shed?

attachicon.gifIMG_20150129_135102.jpg

Was this the former Percy Arms? If so, it wasn't part of the station but the back windows did look onto the platform of the former Blyth and Tyne station: http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/p/percy_main_bt/

Arp

Was this the former Percy Arms?

Pah!   Not the Percy Arms.

Last time I saw you in the area you were pedalling one of those push bike thingy's as fast as you could!

I'm not surprised considering the reputation of the place.

Here is the back view.

<iframe src="https://www.google.com/maps/embed?pb=!1m0!3m2!1sen!2suk!4v1422977239639!6m8!1m7!1sWYtGYlqrDZs-jYUzqnh1WA!2m2!1d54.997223!2d-1.478041!3f35.16554650251355!4f6.249765777259967!5f1.4077714358247206" width="400" height="300" frameborder="0" style="border:0"></iframe>

Was once part of the works. Old Maps shows a single track going into the bottom level. Unless that was a building that preceded it?

Maybe wagon repair or a choppy store? Don't know when it was sold out of railway use. There might be something in the writings of C R Warn about it.

Porcy

Edited by Porcy Mane

Hi, Good Morning......

I would like to share these pics with you, as I'm not sure if this particular vehicle has been 'recorded' anywhere ?

It's there now and has been for many years, and it is accompanied by a chassis-less Brake Van body, also in the bushes but actually sitting on the floor !

Anybody else recognise this one ?

post-7088-0-85149600-1423041455_thumb.jp

post-7088-0-76356500-1423041420_thumb.jp

post-7088-0-37905500-1423041679_thumb.jp

If you can't quite work out what or where this one is......I'm happy to help with a clue.....

post-7088-0-28042500-1423041836_thumb.jp

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi, Good Morning......

I would like to share these pics with you, as I'm not sure if this particular vehicle has been 'recorded' anywhere ?

It's there now and has been for many years, and it is accompanied by a chassis-less Brake Van body, also in the bushes but actually sitting on the floor !

Anybody else recognise this one ?

post-7088-0-85149600-1423041455_thumb.jp

post-7088-0-76356500-1423041420_thumb.jp

post-7088-0-37905500-1423041679_thumb.jp

If you can't quite work out what or where this one is......I'm happy to help with a clue.....

post-7088-0-28042500-1423041836_thumb.jp

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

The shape of the roof frames and size of door openings suggests a Southern utility van.

EDIT looking at the ends, a CCT perhaps?

Edited by PhilJ W

The shape of the roof frames and size of door openings suggests a Southern utility van.

Hi PhilJ W,

I'm not familiar with these things but was curious to see if there was a model, from this I reckoned it was a 'Parcels Miscellaneous Van' because of the vents in the end doors ?

Is that the same thing as a Southern Utility Van ?

The makers plate has been 'had away with' and so I'm unable to offer the number.......

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

• RMweb Premium

Yes its a PMV, but that designation covers a variety of types, try Googling 'Southern PMV'. What makes me think it may have been a CCT is the gap at the bottom of the ends where a fold down flap would be on a CCT.

Hi PhilJ W,

Definitely no bottom flaps on this one... Just realised that there is !

post-7088-0-81445400-1423045853_thumb.jpg

So, come on own up! Who's had the makers plates away ?

Anyone ??????

No, thought not... :no:

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

Edited by Shedmaster

Defiantly looks like an ex SR CCT. Drop down flap at the end, uneven side planking, four vents in the end doors.

Hi,

I was just going to jump back and say no, no, no, they're full length doors as in the photo !

Maybe I need to look at my own photo's a bit more closely....lol..... :banghead:

Many Thanks.....

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

Hi PhilJ W,

I'm not familiar with these things but was curious to see if there was a model, from this I reckoned it was a 'Parcels Miscellaneous Van' because of the vents in the end doors ?

Yes there is the Hornby Dublo/Wrenn/Dapol, RTR model and Parkside do a nice kit.

Grand I was hoping you'd know, Porcy. That yard is literally where the Stephenson platform is. Just look at that great thick wall at the front, it's built like a bomb shelter!

That thick wall was the bridge abutment from where a lot of photos of the shed was taken.

Like in this Arthur Ives view from the ARPT. The official 1964 entrance to the shed can be seen extreme left, with the end of the still existing stone wall seen in the Google Street view being centre foreground. The BRSA club was just outside the main entrance on the right.

10291111193_d7d7e774b0_c.jpg179. 15F Percy Main MPD 12-04-64 (A Ives) 090 by ntynesidetrains, on Flickr

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Since it's still next to a working railway I'm not sure if this counts but I recently looked at Foxfield (former junction for the Coniston branch) on Streetview and was pleasantly surprised to see the water tower still there, even if the tank is somewhat rusty. As far as it appeared not preserverd, not in use for something else, just still there.