Hornby announce LNER J50

Andy Y

LNER J50

The purposeful tank sat at the top of the LNER  wishlist in terms of 0-6-0s; the locos were introduced in the early part of the 1930s with all surviving through to nationalisation spreading from their initial usage in West Yorkshire to cover much of the former GNR and into GER territories. All were withdrawn from revenue service by 1963. None survived into preservation so it's a case of traditional research and design to bring us a J50 for the 21st century.

J50-Ben_Brooksbank.jpg

Image courtesy and copyright of Ben Brooksbank

Any colour you like as long as it's black. But Hornby will be launching with three models in LNER and BR late and early crest liveries with detail variations, particularly with respect to the bunker.

J50%20-%201.jpg

J50%20-%202.jpg

J50%20-%203.jpg

J50%20-%204.jpg

R3324  LNER 0-6-0T J50 Class   £79.99

R3324.jpg

R3325  BR 0-6-0T J50 Class, BR (Early)   £79.99

R3325.jpg

R3326  BR 0-6-0T J50 Class, BR (Late)   £79.99

R3326.jpg

• Like 1

G'day Gents

Looks a nice little engine, but a J50 at the same price as a P2, even Doncaster, could make a J50, cheaper than a P2.

Will I buy one, possibly, but I'm being squeezed out of the 'New Buy' by the huge cash grab, of all the model makers.

manna

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

G'day Gents

Looks a nice little engine, but a J50 at the same price as a P2, even Doncaster, could make a J50, cheaper than a P2.

Will I buy one, possibly, but I'm being squeezed out of the 'New Buy' by the huge cash grab, of all the model makers.

manna

But check out the specification. The Hornby P2 is built down to a price and is nothing like as impressive underneath as it is on the surface. If it had been made to the standard of the Britannia, Clan or Rebuilt West Country it would have had an rrp up around the £150 mark.

The J50 will be a properly engineered model that should give many years of reliable service on layouts. Hornby could make a cheap one by bunging their Thomas chassis under the old Lima body but I'll bet I'm not the only one who's glad they are doing it properly. 

John

G'day Gents

manna

I think Hornby have done really well to turn out a high spec new tank engine for £80. There are quite a few other new 0-6-0 tank locos in the pipe starting at £90 with some hitting £120.

The P2 is a lower spec model with moulded on parts and simplified chassis.

Don't put your old Lima J50s in the bin. With only a relatively small amount of work the bodies detail up as a nice representation of the original GNR design of J50 with its higher cab eaves and/or smaller spectacles, a version that neither this new model nor the DJH kit covers. If you don't want the Lima bodies then by all means give them to me!

Edited by gr.king
  • Like 2

LNER J50

Any colour you like as long as it's black. ......

Wasn't it a J50 that was used to check the full-sized visual effect of the "silver" paint for the first A4s? The slab tank sides being useful for this purpose?

The J50 and the silver A4 set being spoken of on the same page seems to have jogged a memory from somewhere. Even if this is correct it would probably not have been seen in public.

That would have spoiled the Silver Jubilee launch.

RP

• RMweb Gold

I've never heard that one but it would have been interesting to see.

Even more interesting to see would be  something in the same paintwork commemorating an event which took place on 27th Sept.1935..an "80th"..now that Hornby are releasing a Royal Flush of Silver Streaks.......a complete "Silver Jubilee" set to current standards .Not the existing Hornby Toytown nightmare.

Heavens boy...hush your mouth....you're off topic and interrupting.

Wasn't it a J50 that was used to check the full-sized visual effect of the "silver" paint for the first A4s? ...

I've never heard that one but it would have been interesting to see.

I have never read anything more detailed than 'one of the Doncaster works shunters was used to evaluate suitable grey tones over several months' or words to that effect; it would be interesting to know more.

Even more interesting to see would be  something in the same paintwork commemorating an event which took place on 27th Sept.1935..an "80th"..now that Hornby are releasing a Royal Flush of Silver Streaks.......a complete "Silver Jubilee" set to current standards .Not the existing Hornby Toytown nightmare.

Whilst I agree, I suspect a full "Coronation" set, with observation coach, would be (even more) drop-dead gorgeous. If we can sow the seed of that idea now, it could have time to happen!

The Nim.

This is definitely something I've been waiting for, and at a reasonable price given the proposed spec! I'm holding off on ordering one until the number/body variations are decided upon. I know none survived, but one would make a great station pilot for my preserved line once I get my layout room sorted out!

One of my book has a superb photo of one on a trip freight out in the countryside somewhere, but I can't remember the book so I'll have to do some searching!

Looking forward to seeing this develop

Cheers

J