Collett 'Bow Ended' Standard 57' Corridor Stock Coaches for 2016

Graham_Muz

Well I'm surprised, given the propensity of RMWebbers to count rivets that my request for observations has so far gone un-commented on. I can only presume that you are all too stunned by the sheer brilliance of the drawings.

And if that doesn't stun someone into an acerbic comment - nothing will

Some of us have other things to do bar sitting in front of the PC.

Sent from my wife's mobile phone while she chooses a new wardrobe.

Mike Wiltshire

PS the drawings look fine as much as I can see on a stupidly small Iphone screen. You included the window missing from the BSL.

• Like 1

Some of us have other things to do bar sitting in front of the PC.

Sent from my wife's mobile phone while she chooses a new wardrobe.

Mike Wiltshire

PS the drawings look fine as much as I can see on a stupidly small Iphone screen. You included the window missing from the BSL.

Thanks Coach bogie, although I can't imagine what is more interesting than sitting in front of a PC all day, especially as that seems to be my job - but lets not go their.

Just had my order for three of these coaches cancelled by Hawkins  :cry: so either I am going to have to try and find some cheaper donors for my conversions or get the soldering iron out and try a Comet kit with my replacement D94 sides.

Up date on those by the way, Worsley Works have confirmed that they can etch them from my drawings, separate droplights and appropriate holes for hinges, door and grab handles.

• 2 weeks later...

Big James - the Colletts were getting thin on the ground by the time the Warships appeared, which were usually rostered with (primarily) toplink Hawksworth/BR Mk1 stock/rakes.

Thank you for the swift reply. I'll try and hunt out some hawksworth and maroon mark 1's to renukver.

Big james

Edited by Big James

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thank you for the swift reply. I'll try and hunt out some hawksworth and maroon mark 1's to renukver.

Big james

Actually,the WR followed its usual tradition of a ragbag of coaching stock into the steam/diesel transition especially at holiday weekends when sets were split and added to to make up sufficient to meet demand for extra trains and seating capacity.

So yes you did find maroon Colletts,both bow ended and sunshine,Hawksworths plus Stanier and the odd Gresley coaches perhaps mixed at the head of a rake of Mk 1's of both maroon and Chocolate and cream hue.

Warships will be fine with one or two bow ended Colletts as strengtheners....c.1959/60/61.

As my post elsewhere, anyone looking for discounted 'New' Colletts. Rails have split the Bristolian set and is selling off the 3 coaches for £89.50 - less than £30 each.

https://railsofsheff...65e64e7-5280005

Mike Wiltshire

Alas they are not available to buy Mike. Those wanting Shirtbutton Colletts will have to wait until June or July as advised by Rob above. 

CoY

Are those name boards removable?

I haven't gone the whole hog personally, but I have plucked at the name boards with my fingernail and yes, I believe they can be removed quite easily. Whether this would leave residual marks on the mounting brackets remains to be seen, as I think the board are held in by the smallest dab of glue. 

Mine will have to come off eventually as The Bristolian didn't run in 1947!

CoY

• RMweb Gold

Alas they are not available to buy Mike. Those wanting Shirtbutton Colletts will have to wait until June or July as advised by Rob above. 

Just click Add to Basket, seems to be working fine.

• RMweb Gold

This conversation on name boards makes me wonder if detached portions had different names on the name boards, per their destination.  I assume so, but am asking the question to make sure.

No doubt someone will know of exceptions, but certainly the through coach to kingsbridge had dedicated boards

• 4 weeks later...
Another 35 quid and you can get the King as well with the way prices have been dropping for the complete set! Edited by lofty1966

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I saw that too, ordered the RH Brake from them to take my order over £150 and get free delivery ;)

In the rush to be sure, l didn't think of that! :scratchhead:

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

In the rush to be sure, l didn't think of that! :scratchhead:

Kernow currently have some 7 day specials, the force was too strong with them.. so along with a LC Q6 (@£99.99), 3 Fish vans (@£4.99 each), a BR (WR) Shunters truck (again @ £4.99). The Collett was the logical choice ;)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

D95 taken apart.

It's not that I wanted to, especially, but having damaged it (fell out of packaging when I finally discovered how to open these clear plastic efforts), I had further reasons to separate it into pieces, so no longer MIB.  Admiration phase over.

post-16966-0-40833400-1490127636_thumb.jpg

Do notice, from the photo, that I have not taken care to get the pieces the right way around.  You will need to, on re-assembly..  The underframe is individual to the D95 third brake (see position of the battery boxes) and you can't see from above which way around I positioned it, for the photo.

To take it apart, begin with the bogies, but do be careful to grasp them by the axleboxes and not risk damaging the tie bar or the bar under the axle box.  Firmly pull and the bogie comes off, just like the Railroads did, if you are familiar with those.

Then, as with Railroad vehicles, the glazing units 4 prongs have to be eased out.  These are at the ends whereas the railroads were in the middle.  Take it steadily.

The underframe floor will be now separate and so will be the compartment floor.  See photo.  In the photo, I have pictured the OO bogie, left, and one, right, with one P4 axle and one OO wheels fitted, as well as the two types of wheels separate in between, for comparison.  The bogie is a bit naughty for my purposes, as the brake blocks have been positioned for OO, although they might be OK for EM gauge.  Oddly, in the past, Hornby left the brake blocks at scale distance apart.  The P4 wheels fit, just, between the axle boxes but the the brake blocks interfere.  I am wondering what to do about the bogies.  Clearly, if you are compensating using, e.g., MJT units, you would just use the bogie mouldings cosmetically,

Now onto the interior.

post-16966-0-89880200-1490128743_thumb.jpg

First, Hornby has chosen the interior colour as cream.  Probably a bit light in the gloom, as observed from outside.  Notice the reddish blobs.  This is where the sprayer has not quite covered the base colour of the unit.  I think this is the 'mahogany' that is used for the exterior window edges.  If you think about it, this might have been a sensible move for production, if so.  Just guessing here.

The little dark marks are for the holes where the exterior roof and end fittings were glued in.  You can see straightaway why the end lamp brackets fall off so readily, as they were not pushed right through,.  I hope Hornby make these available as spares.  

The glazing units are separated per side, whereas in the Railroad version it is one overall unit that forms a strength piece.  The greatly improved glazing is due to the much thinner sides compared with the Railroad.  Remember that none of the three types (C54, D95, or E127) had flush glazing, except the last four C54s numbered 5177 to 5180, in 1929.

Remember also that none of these types had circular buffers, except possibly those last four, above.  They all had oval buffers, originally, so the Hornby buffers are incorrect for the early thirties livery, which they produced.  .

One other thing on the new Hornby model errors.

post-16966-0-68554200-1490130020_thumb.jpg

The guard's compartment is incorrect, according to info supplied to me, on good authority, by the GWSG.  The left hand window in the corridor partition in the photo above, should be solid.  When Hornby took measurements of the D95, there were only two extant and they are both hulks, essentially, hopefully to be restored soon.  Hornby would not have known what was the original.layout, I suspect, but the drawing makes it clear.

I suspect there will be more definitive articles published, as time goes on, but this is a start and I hope is of interest.. 

Edited by HowardGWR