Hornby B12

Wherry Lines

Living just off the Great Eastern mainline between Manningtree and Ipswich, close to the old Ipswich to Hadleigh branch line, there will now be four stalwarts of the line to Norwich and Gt Yarmouth and intervening cross country services and branch lines in East Anglia, D16, J15, B17 and now B12. Never has the Great Eastern shone so brightly and all those four from Hornby. Did the Hornby R&D team get swept up with oysters at Colchester, jellied eels at Clacton and crab at Cromer, not forgetting mustard at Norwich.

It's even better than that: you've forgotten the delightful D16. And all that appropriate coaching stock.

What a good time to be a modeller of the ex-GER lines. :)

Paul

Definitely be getting one of these in Apple Green. Hornby seems to be doing alright by us LNER types in recent years. Lets hope the long term result is more LNER based layouts at exhibitions. I'm getting a bit fed up with all the BR steam era 4/5 layouts. :jester: 

I didn't get chance to ask the most important at Hornby yesterday, as there were a lot of people taking up the available members of the team to query much less pressing matters.

The key point that seems to've been skirted around this far is this:

Will the tender still have the 'chuffed box'?!

Please note; the above is not intended to be taken seriously, before the sense of humour police metaphorically beat me to a pulp!

I'm very glad that the B12 is back, and updated, like many of us on here it's a very nostalgic loco for Hornby and should be a good seller for that reason alone! It would've been a shame if another manufacturer had announced it.

The 3D print looked very promising and I look forward to seeing more developments, and having to decide which one I want!

Cheers

J

"Will the tender still have the 'chuffed box'?!"

This was the equivalent of TTS sound 70s style :locomotive:  

I am as the pun and old tender goes "Chuffed" with this announcement and hope we get the Scottish versions at some point in the future but in the mean time is an apple green one to go with my Sandringham. Now wouldn't it be nice if Hornby did the 52'6 coaches to match.

"Will the tender still have the 'chuffed box'?!"

This was the equivalent of TTS sound 70s style :locomotive:

With the exception that the chuff-box didn't have stepped increases in speed and was synchronised to one of the wheels! (ok it was a tender wheel) so in that respect, it was better than TTS!

Cheers

J

Tha's suffen good!

Hent ut buh? Oim hully pleased!

There's a certain inevitability about this announcement in my mind since the GE tender B17, reinforced by the Claud, but I'm so glad Hornby have announced it is actually happening.

I've only been purchasing c.1959 ex-GE stock for the last two or three years and I've been spoilt by the choice of miniature prototypical loveliness available.

I'm even (at the age, that I'm) looking forward to tackling some of the more obscure rolling stock via kits, proof a RTR manufacturer can benefit the hobby at large if it picks the right motive power?

(I dislike public wishlisting and froth, but I did covet the E4 when I was at Bressingham last time, that's got the same tender...right?!)

Well done Hornby, C6T.

Edited by Classsix T

When Hornby at last produced the B17 in LNER green, the wheels weren't painted. I think Hornby can get away with not painting black wheels and just possibly Maunsell green wheels but self-coloured green plastic wheels on an LNER locomotive jar badly. Hornby has painted the Maunsell green S15 wheels, so I hope we get the same on the B12.

8572 in Apple Green. Yes please!

Of course I would prefer a state of the art model of it in N but as this was the loco that pulled our wedding train on the NNR (And I was invited onto the footplate when it ran round at Holt) it is an absolute "must have" in it's current preserved livery.

Roy

• RMweb Premium

It'll be interesting if these variants eventually appear:

1. The B12s (GER S69) when they first entered service with decorative valences, Belpaire firebox and in GER lined blue livery;

2. The 1940s rebuilds of the Scottish-based B12s (as B12/4) with round topped boilers, but due to axle loading limits, were built to the same diameter as the original Belpaire-fitted types, smaller than those fitted to the B12/3s.

http://www.lner.info/locos/B/b12.php

PS - two B12s entered service in the same month as my late gran was born (in GER territory) and both ended their service lives as B12/4s.

Edited by gc4946

• 2 weeks later...

An apple green one for me, but please please PLEASE lets have the lettering on the tender level and in line with the cabside number, The B17 and the D16 both have them misaligned. So unnecessarily poor quality control at the assembly line, considering the prices we are expected to pay for shoddy goods!!

We aren't getting any green B12s, the first 3, like the D16 are gonna be in black.

Agreed however handbook contradicts itself! Personally, I expect to see a limited edition of the preserved 8572, tied to the NNR and owner group, possibly priced at a premium to the standard version. This will get announced a couple of months ahead of the actual release. I think this is what they did with the kings where the locomotion version of 6000 was announced later

David

The thing I'm not understanding with Hornby's choice of LNER livery, is the fact that on Hatton's it's listed as "Lined Black".  From what I know none of the B12/3's ever recieved the lined black before the war, they were all lined green...!

Those transferred to the Northern Scottish Area were painted black lined red at Inverurie when shopped there. During WW2 they were all painted plain black. After WW2 the Scottish-based locomotives were re-painted in lined green whilst those south of the border, with one exception, were given lined black livery.

And then there is the retention/removal of the brass beading and whether or not the Stratford round smokebox door ring was retained and so the various detail differences that date specific locomotives multiply...