Hornby B12

Wherry Lines

I'm unreasonably disappointed that the late BR one isn't 61572. I'd hoped for a 'time capsule' or perhaps Tardis opportunity to revisit the frisson I can still recall when buying its fore-runner from Mr Wilman's shop in Hitchin one school lunchtime in summer term 1965. Being my first 'big' purchase without prior consultation with my parents!

I hope these samples are still standing on 'parts bin' driving wheels, i.e. they haven't been down-specced since the CAD was shown.

The Nim.

That BR one really looks very nice. I have a soft spot for the B12, in spite of it having no place on my current layout: my first "large" steam loco as a teenager (a couple of centuries ago!!) was a Triang B12, which, while nowhere near modern standards, was not a bad model.

I suspect the retail price of the new model will deter me from buying one, but the temptation will be there, for me.

Come off it, it was only last century!

• RMweb Premium

Doesn't it look fat!  Despite knowing that the Triang B12's boiler was too small, and having seen the real one at Sheringham many times, I suppose I'd got conditioned to thinking that real B12/3s did look like the old Triang model.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Does anyone know if these are still due in Nov?

Really looking forward to this one

Depending on the variant you want, anything from mid November to early December, according to the Hornby website:

R3431 BR Black, early crest 18/11/16

R3432 BR Black, late crest   27/11/16

R3430 LNER Green,             04/12/16

• Like 1

Guest Midland Mole

Depending on the variant you want, anything from mid November to early December, according to the Hornby website:

R3431 BR Black, early crest 18/11/16

R3432 BR Black, late crest   27/11/16

R3430 LNER Green,             04/12/16

Bloomin' typical the one I want is the one with the latest release date! :D

- Alex

Edited by Midland Mole

It will be interesting to see if Hornby's manufacturer(s) for the BR variants manage to apply the lining to the LH footplate valance - the images on the Engine Shed blog are indistinct but suggest that they might this time have managed to apply some (if not all) of the lining alongside and under the piping, something that apparently is the reason why the lining that should be there on the BR D16/3s but is not.