Oxford Diecast/Golden Valley - YE Janus 0-6-0DE

Hippo

Some constructive feedback, which I have also forwarded onto Golden Valley in a more elaborate form, with reference photos:

The "59005" number on the side of the BP Janus loco was crudely painted on by hand. It may not have worn for all of its time with BP (likewise, the photo I have seen has yellow connecting rods). In any case, the typeface would not be a font, but hand-written and crooked. This model should also have short vertical grab-rails on the bonnet.

There also appears to be a gauge or dial(?) on the lower left hand side next to the steps, this does not appear on any of the chosen prototypes being modeled. Likewise, there is a large cut-away in the buffer beam which is portrayed, but that is incorrect for the liveries offered at this present time. 

Does anyone here know if  the British Steel number 5 was fitted with USC oval buffers?

Paul A. 

I'm presuming that all of the 7 plank wagon packs are freelance, and not based on prototypical 7 plank wagons at these locations?

Paul A.

I understand that they're the same as the previous tooling.

• RMweb Gold

The "59005" number on the side of the BP Janus loco was crudely painted on by hand. It may not have worn for all of its time with BP (likewise, the photo I have seen has yellow connecting rods). In any case, the typeface would not be a font, but hand-written and crooked. This model should also have short vertical grab-rails on the bonnet.

I have passed on some comments also.

The only photo I can find of the BP loco is at Merehead shortly after arrival in the mid-1980s. I think the chalked on 59005 is tongue in cheek, FY had just started taking delivery of the first four Class 59s around this time. BP didn't take any Janus from new, and I think they may have had just this one, YEC2641, which doesn't appear to have a visible running number. FY removed the BP sticker, and repainted it into house colours after a short while, so it would be a bad choice for it to be prodcued with 59005 as a number IMO.

I hope they consider some more liveries in time - the USC green locos based at Orgreave, which were plated for mainline running, and the ICI Billingham locos would be my top choices. But a couple of the first four will make their way here regardless.

Thanks for the interesting info about the PLA liveries. I've looked again at my screengrabs from the promotional film of YEC2633 (PLA no. 203) I mentioned earlier, and yes the wasp stripes are indeed yellow and blue. The films is pretty dark, though I would not describe the colour as powder blue, more a mid-blue with less red pigment. Perhaps the paint had faded by the time they moved to ASW in Cardiff in the early 1970s. This shot of YEC2630 (PLA no. 202) at ASW many years after arrival, is still displaying the remains of the PLA livery, though the wasp stripes on either side of the steps which PLA 203 had are not present. Red coupling rod is same as PLA livery.

https://flic.kr/p/9TFg9J

Does your loco get much use? It would be nice to be able to ride behind some of these industrial from time to time.

Yes the loco does get used often, it is one of 2 shunters at Toddington yard.  If you would like to ride it get in touch with me and I am sure I can arrange something when I am at Toddington, It could not be used to haul passenger trains due to lack of train braking but I am sure a cab ride could be arranged!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Some constructive feedback, which I have also forwarded onto Golden Valley in a more elaborate form, with reference photos:

There also appears to be a gauge or dial(?) on the lower left hand side next to the steps, this does not appear on any of the chosen prototypes being modeled. Likewise, there is a large cut-away in the buffer beam which is portrayed, but that is incorrect for the liveries offered at this present time. 

Does anyone here know if  the British Steel number 5 was fitted with USC oval buffers?

Paul A. 

Fuel gauge on a Janus is on the RH end looking from the side, nothing at the other end. The fuel tanks on most YE diesels are built into the footplate/platform structure.

• 2 weeks later...
Good Evening,

Thank you for the useful feedback on our first three Janus liveries.

We’ve taken changes on board and revised our Design Cells as a result. Please find attached clean copies of each of the three – BP, Port of London & British Steel.

I’m now in a position to issue the 4th and final livery draft Design Cell.  Once again we are open to feedback from users as to the accuracy and interest of this livery.

GV2012.JPG

GV2012 National Coal Board.

The livery is subject to permission of the owner which is currently being sought.

One final point to bear in mind – the Design Cells are based on a standard wire frame – they may not replicate the current status of tooling exactly!

Lastly, the 4th Wagon artwork is now going through final approval with BP and I am able to release the Draft version of this three pack. The wagons will all carry different running numbers within each 3 pack, some are ‘inspired by’ the locomotives and their liveries to some extent.

Prices are now confirmed for the wagon packs as follows:

GVH Code

Name

SRP

Golden Valley Hobbies products

GV2012

NCB Janus 0-6-0 Diesel

TBA

GV2012.JPG

GV2013

British Steel No5 Janus 0-6-0 Diesel

TBA

GV2013.JPG

GV2014

BP Janus 0-6-0 Diesel Loco

TBA

GV2014.JPG

GV2015

Port of London No201 Janus 0-6-0 Diesel

TBA

GV2015.JPG

GV6012

3 pack NCB 7 plank open coal wagon

£29.99

GV6013

3 pack BSC 7 plank open mineral wagon

£29.99

GV6014

3 pack BP 7 plank open petrol can wagon

£29.99

GV6014.JPG

GV6015

3 pack PLA 7 plank open mineral wagon

£29.99

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I don't think the NCB was quite organised enough to have a 'standard' livery across all its Areas & Divisions, a brief search on the internet shows NCB locos in all sorts of different liveries.  I can't open the pictures to read the number/name plates on the Golden Valley model, but maybe it is based on an area loco that was blue?  I think we can safely say it's not based on a Littleton loco if they were black.

Moxy

The only Janus I saw on NCB metals was on the former Manchester Collieries system system and may just have been running in following attention at Central Workshops, Walkden. It was painted in a light, near apple, green.

Here it is in 1970 about to run by the then closed Moseley Common Colliery. Nice loco, shame about the photographer......me.

post-6861-0-12961200-1456305023.jpeg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I don't think the NCB was quite organised enough to have a 'standard' livery across all its Areas & Divisions, a brief search on the internet shows NCB locos in all sorts of different liveries.  I can't open the pictures to read the number/name plates on the Golden Valley model, but maybe it is based on an area loco that was blue?  I think we can safely say it's not based on a Littleton loco if they were black.

Moxy

The NCB only took 6 Janus from new, and we know two were black. Any that came into their hands in later life would have been very likely to continue wearing the previous owners livery I would have thought.

• Like 1

Isn't that the joy/problem  of being asked to comment? I am not the greatest industrial loco photographer, but find I have quite a lot of Janus (now I've learnt that is what they are). The BSC one, no. 5 isn't how it appeared in 1988, but it is like others taken a while later. http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/industriallocomotive/e64e7d027 Commenting on a livery needs the date being copied.

Each model can only catch the prototype at a moment in time. This is a brilliant choice, it could run and run. Is there a website for this type?

Paul Bartlett

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

With the exception of the BSC version, I think GVH are intending to model the locos in as delivered condition. However there are vanishingly few colour photos of these locos from the early years so it is quite difficult to be 100% sure on liveries. There is no specific Yorkshire Engine Co web-pages as far as I know, but there are bits and pieces here and there. Potentially one of the best is this one, but the Janus pages are missing.

The best source is Tony Vernon's book on the company, which is where much on the information I've quoted comes from, together with around 100 photos I've collected over the last 3 years since I became interested in the class. One of the best early colour photos I've come across is this one, but GVH aren't doing a green one...

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_09_2010/post-8100-086228000%201283715061.jpg

I do agree these locos have lots of potential, to inspire some nice and grimy industrial layouts

• RMweb Premium

Is there an extra cabinet on the right hand running plate of that loco, under 'COAL' or is it an optical illusion?  If so, what's it for?

Regards

Moxy

• RMweb Premium

Is there an extra cabinet on the right hand running plate of that loco, under 'COAL' or is it an optical illusion?  If so, what's it for?

Regards

Moxy

Compressor maybe - the loco does have a train air brake pipe.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Compressor maybe - the loco does have a train air brake pipe.

Cheers,

Mick

Thanks Mick, a post preservation modification would explain it - none of the earlier in service photos showed it.

Regards

Moxy

There is an early sample of the body moulding on display on the Oxford Rail stand at Model Rail Scotland, at Glasgow SEC (Stand B51)

A very weighty sample it is to. The chassis molding weighs enough on its own and is very clean and crisp. Then the running plate is cast too giving extra weight.

Handy knowing one of the exhibition team.

There’s something wrong with me. I’m looking forward to these more than the Dean Goods. Possibly the smooth performance of the Adams Radial leads to high expectation. Not the wagons, though. They look too like an improvisation. I’d suggest that for the NCB version at least, Bachmann’s 37-236 (3 16-ton steel mineral wagons in NCB grey) would be nearer the mark, as would the limited edition of three, which Bachmann did for Modelzone (37-225W) if you can get them. Then there are the Dapol internal user hoppers.