Taunton Members Days - the future

Captain Kernow

• RMweb Gold

The purpose of this separate thread is to let you all know that the Taunton Members Day on 24/4/16 will be the final such event that I shall organise.

I've enjoyed doing these events immensely, but both Madeleine (CTMK) and I feel that the time has now come to let someone else take the reins, so I am now offering the opportunity to run this event to whoever would like to form a new exhibition management team. Andy York is aware that I am now standing down. We started doing this in 2008, so this will be the 9th such event that I have run.

I would be very happy to pass on all details of booking the hall and any other hints and tips, should anyone else be interested in running this event from 2017 onwards.

I do hope that someone else comes forward, as I believe that many people have derived enjoyment from both exhibiting and attending these events.

Would anyone interested in taking this event on, please PM me, with a copy to Andy York.

Many thanks.

I would like to thank Tim and Madeleine for everything that they have put into this event over the years along with the support from Michelle, Martin, Pugsley Snr. and supporting kitchen crew over the years. Also to John, Nick and Brian and others who have always helped with setup and clearing up every year. Thanks too to everyone who has brought the varied content to the event over the years, those who have visited and enjoyed the days and evenings together and everyone who has helped raised sums for The Railway Children.

Whatever happens from this point forward we should recognise how good what has gone before has been. Well done Tim and thank you!

Without doubt, one of the highlights of the season!

I can only reiterate Andys words and thanks.

When is a show, not a show.......the Taunton event of course, more like a gathering of like minded, loud shirt wearing nut jobs.

Well,done to all, and fingers crossed it continues..........

• RMweb Premium

Thank you Tim and all who have assisted, supported and otherwise made this a day to be marked in even this most distant of calendars.  I have only managed two visits though more would have been preferred.  The organisation has been superb, the company warmly welcoming and enjoyable and the layouts offered for our enjoyment have been fascinating and educational in their size, themes and variety.  

I sincerely hope a worthy successor comes forward to take up the reins.  Without that there will be a large void in our social events diary.  May I also wish Tim and all his team a long and happy "retirement" and many happy pasties in the future.

elephant_stamp_zpsb57eb3d9.gif

• RMweb Gold

Regret on two fronts for me - firstly that Tim has decided to relinquish the baton on this excellent event which he has run so well, and entertainingly, since 2008.  More particularly alas an equally great regret that for family reasons I am unable to attend this year (will telephone bids be acceptable for the auction?).

And - of course - best wishes for the future for Tim and Madeleine.

• RMweb Gold

I only made it to one, and working again this year, but a super event and a lot of work obviously went into it too. If it was easy there would be loads of these events.

Have a good one this year and thanks to Tim and all the helpers.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Tim for organising these events. I have always enjoyed helping out and looked forward to them each year.

I think this event has provided more opportunities to meet fellow RMWebbers than the larger exhibitions.

Thank you to the ladies for sorting out the catering and anyone who has let me operate/play with their layout.

Cheers BRM for funding them in recent years and cheers Andy for funding them in earlier times!

See you in April. I do hope someone does decide to take over running the show, even if it isn't an annual event.

Kind regards,

Nick.

If this is the last one, and I hope it's not, it's just as well that I am planning to attend this year's function. Looking forward to putting some faces to names. Thanks Tim for organising these events, just sorry I haven't been able to get to them before.

• RMweb Gold

If this is the last one, and I hope it's not, it's just as well that I am planning to attend this year's function. Looking forward to putting some faces to names. Thanks Tim for organising these events, just sorry I haven't been able to get to them before.

It will be good to see you John.

Kind regards,

Nick

Strange that the first Taunton meet that I have summoned the courage to attend dressed as Ava, my alter ego, might be the last.

Nevertheless I will bring my camera and its attendant, carefully sourced compatible flashgun complete with a hugely expensive and very effective diffuser plus the Manfrotto tripod to take very high quality pics of the layouts and this service will continue for any new organisers.

Photoshop rules!

I have become the co-organiser of a trans disco under very similar circumstances as this one but, in this instance, I fear I can add nothing to the occasion and its organisation.

• RMweb Premium

I only managed to attend one Taunton event, many years ago before all my unemployment woes. Though small, it was good and well balanced. I wish I could have attended more.

There's a rumour that Tim will be giving away premium sausages to all who attend, with a T-shirt to the member who eats the most within a specified time. That can't possibly be true, can it ?

Over and above that, may I also add my thanks to Tim and his good lady, together with all the other volunteers for such a welcoming event..... Three cheers..... Hip hip :)

I sincerely hope we have not seen the last of the Taunton Members Day
I have had the good fortune to be invited to bring a layout to several of these superb events.

All I can say is a huge "thank you" to Tim and everyone involved in organising and running this event each year
I've always viewed the day as a great way to meet fellow RMweb members, see some of the layouts on here in the flesh, and help support rmweb
Also, the event is as good as, and indeed better than many shows I've paid to attend

Someone please take over the reigns! 
Capt K you will be sadly missed - but now relax, let someone else do all the hard work
Thank you ever so much for my past invitations, your friendly supportive words, all the work / stress organising this event
..... and of course, for the pasties :)

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

My thoughts for the future are;

The Location is good with reasonable access.

The venue suits the event as of now. I don't expect a large growth in attendees.

So we need to keep it going. As I live fairly near I suppose I need to step forward. However I will be rather busy for the next year but could with luck help out next year. I am open to the idea of being part of a team.

I mention this now because I will be unable to attend this year. ( Niece's wedding but it is my last  Niece). I am assuming that some might have a chat about the future at the event.

Don

• RMweb Premium

My thoughts for the future are;

The Location is good with reasonable access.

The venue suits the event as of now. I don't expect a large growth in attendees.

So we need to keep it going. As I live fairly near I suppose I need to step forward. However I will be rather busy for the next year but could with luck help out next year. I am open to the idea of being part of a team.

I mention this now because I will be unable to attend this year. ( Niece's wedding but it is my last  Niece). I am assuming that some might have a chat about the future at the event.

Don

Thank you for taking up the baton Don.

Archived